Current Affairs – Daily Current Affairs 2020
June 08 – World Oceans Day 2020:
- World Ocean Day is observed globally on 8th June every year to raise global awareness about the importance of the ocean in our lives and the ways through which we can protect it.
- Theme – “Innovation for a Sustainable Ocean.”
- Officially World Ocean Day was established by the United Nations General Assembly in 2008.
SBI Launches Separate FI&MM Vertical For Agriculture And Small Businesses:
- State Bank of India has created a separate Financial Inclusion and Micro Market (FI&MM) vertical within the bank with an exclusive focus to provide financial services to people engaged in agriculture and allied activities and Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSMEs).
- The new wing will be headed by Deputy Managing Director (DMD) of the bank Sanjeev Nautiyal at the national level.
NABARD extends Rs 270 crore to Assam Gramin Vikash Bank:
- National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development has extended a Special Liquidity Facility (SLF) of Rs 270 crore to Assam Gramin Vikash Bank to support the agricultural activities of the farmers amid COVID-19 pandemic.
- This line of credit would enable the farmers in enhancing their crop production and hence this amount would prove to be a boon to the agriculture credit of the state at this difficult hour.
ISRO & ARIES signs MoU for cooperation in SSA & Astrophysics:
- Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO) has signed an agreement with Aryabhatta Research Institute of Observational Sciences (ARIES) for cooperation in the field of Space Situational Awareness (SSA) and Astrophysics.
- The main objective of the MoU is to shield the Indian Space assets from the space debris’s conjunction threats and R&D of Astrophysics, solar sciences and space environment are the base for future space exploration projects and the key to progress in the Indian Space sector.
23-Yer-Old Maharashtra Boy Makes World’s First ‘Internet-Controlled’ Robot To Help Covid-19 Patients:
- Designed and created by Pratik Tirodkar, founder of a start-up PNT Solutions, Dombivali, recently, the first ‘Coro-bot’ independently dispenses food, water, beverages, medicines – and even some good advice – to Coronavirus patients without the needs for nurses, ward staff or other care-givers.
UVC-based disinfection cabinet developed by ARCI & Mekins:
- A UVC-based Cabinet has been co-developed by the International Advanced Research Centre for Powder Metallurgy and New Materials (ARCI) and the MEKINS Industries.
- The device will disinfect non-critical hospital items, laboratory wear, and PPEs in order to prevent surface contamination of COVID 19.
- It will also have the capability to disinfect items that have been exhibited to customers in commercial establishments and several domestic items.
Karnataka Bank Appoints Ramesh S As Chief Risk Officer:
- The Board of Karnataka Bank has designated Ramesh S, General Manager, in-charge of Risk Management Department, as the Chief Risk officer (CRO) of the Bank w.e.f. 06 June 020, in place of Prakash Kumar.
Monika Mohta appointed India’s next Ambassador to Switzerland:
- Monika Kapil Mohta has been appointed as the next Ambassador of India to Switzerland.
- She is presently serving as the Ambassador of India to Sweden. She is an IFS officer of 1985 batch.
- She will replace Sibi George as the next Ambassador of India to Switzerland.
M Nethra appointed as ‘Goodwill Ambassador for the Poor’ by UNADAP:
- 13-year old girl from Tamil Nadu, M Nethra has been appointed as the ‘Goodwill Ambassador for the Poor’ by the United Nations Association for Development and Peace.
- The UNADAP recognition brings to the girl the opportunity to address the upcoming Civil Society forums at the UN conferences in New York and Geneva.
- The Dixon Scholarship has awarded Nethra a scholarship amount of Rs 1,00,000.
Hyderabad Airport Receives ACI Asia-Pacific Green Airports Platinum Recognition 2020:
- Hyderabad International Airport received the highest Platinum Recognition in the Airports Council International (ACI) Asia-Pacific Green Airports Recognition 2020 in the 15-35 Million Passengers Per Annum (MPPA) category for its efficient water management practices.
- A statement here said on Friday that on the World Environment Day, ACI Asia-Pacific has announced the results of the region’s Annual Green Airports Recognition 2020.
India Secured 168th Rank In The 12th Edition Of EPI Index:
- India secured 168th rank in the 12th edition of the biennial Environment Performance Index (EPI Index 2020)- that measured the environmental performance of 180 countries- and was released by the Yale University on June 4, 2020.
- India scored 6 out of 100.
GoI constitutes task force headed by Jaya Jaitly:
- A 10-members task force has been constituted by the Government of India to evaluate issues related to Infant Mortality Rate, Maternal Mortality Rate, Total Fertility Rate, Sex Ratio at Birth, Child Sex Ratio (CSR) and any other issue that pertains to health as well as nutrition.
- The task force has been set up by the Women and Child Development Ministry and will be headed by Jaya Jaitly.
PETA Hails India’s First Online Waste Exchange Platform Launched By Andhra Pradesh:
- The Indian wing of the People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) has praised Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister YS Jagan Mohan Reddy for launching an online waste exchange platform which will help the authorities monitor the movement of hazardous waste real-time using the tools incorporated in the platform.
Fit India And MHRD Launch Special Films To Promote Indigenous Sports Of India:
- Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD) and Sports Ministry have collaborated to produce a series of special films promoting 10 indigenous sports of India.
- The ‘Department of School Education and Literacy’ under MHRD has joined hands with sports ministry’s flagship programme ‘Fit India’ under the ‘Ek Bharat, Shrestha Bharat’
World Archery Field Championships Postponed To 2022:
- 2020 World Archery Field Championships in Yankton, USA, have been postponed until 2022 which was due to take place in September this year at the NFAA Easton Yankton Archery Centre, the world’s largest dedicated archery facility.
Former Santosh Trophy player Hamza Koya passes away:
- Former Santosh Trophy player, Hamza Koya passed away due to COVID-19.
- He had played for Maharashtra state in Santosh Trophy in the 1980s. He started his football his career with Western Railway.
Kannada actor Chiranjeevi Sarja passes away:
- Kannada actor Chiranjeevi Sarja who made his debut with the movie ‘Vayuputra’, passed away.
- He has featured in films such as Samhaara, Aadyaa, Khaki, Sinnga, Amma I Love You, Prema Baraha, Dandam Dashagunam and Varadhanayaka among others.
June 8 – World Brain Tumor Day 2020:
- World Brain Tumor Day is observed on June 8th every year.
- The day was initiated by the Deutsche Hirntumorhilfe (German Brain Tumor Aid) in 2000 to pay respect to all the brain tumor patients and their families.
Centre Allocates Highest Ever Funds Of Rs. 1,01,500 Crore Under Mahatma Gandhi NREGS During 2020-2021:
- A provision of One Lakh One Thousand Five Hundred (1,01,500) Crore rupees has been made under Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme in the current financial year 2020-2021.
- It is the highest ever provision of funds under the programme.
- A sum of 31 thousand 493 crores has already been released in 2020-2021, which is more than 50 percent of the budget estimate of the current Financial Year.
IAF develops rescue pod “ARPIT” for evacuation:
- Indian Air Force has indigenously designed, developed and manufactured an Airborne Rescue Pod for Isolated Transportation (ARPIT).
- This pod will help for the evacuation of critical patients with infectious diseases including COVID-19 from high altitude area, isolated and remote areas.
- The system has been formed as a lightweight isolation system made from aviation certified material.
India And Denmark Signed An MoU For Developing Cooperation In The Power Sector:
- The MoU signed between the Ministry of Power and the Ministry for Energy, Utilities and Climate, Government of Denmark, is to develop a strong, deep and long-term co-operation between two countries in the power sector on the basis of equality, reciprocity and mutual benefit.
Adani Green Energy Ltd Bags World’s Largest Solar Contract Worth $6 Billion:
- Adani Green Energy Ltd has bagged the world’s largest solar bid entailing building a Photovoltaic (PV) power plant of 8,000 MW and setting up a domestic solar panel manufacturing capacity of 2,000 MW, envisaging a total investment of roughly $6 billion.
Tech Mahindra signs UN Global Compact Initiative to curtail emissions:
- Tech Mahindra has signed a joint declaration with UN Global Compact and hence joined 155 global companies in calling for policies to build resilience against future shocks by supporting the activities targeted to hold global temperature rise to within 1.5°C above pre-industrial levels, in order to reach net-zero emissions before 2050.
- Tech Mahindra seeks to reduce carbon footprint and emissions by moving towards a zero-carbon resilient economy.
- It will achieve its objective with the use of new-age technologies such as internet of things, artificial intelligence and blockchain.
IIFL Finance signs Rohit Sharma as brand ambassador:
- India’s Non-Banking Finance Companies, India Infoline Finance Limited (IIFL) has signed Rohit Sharma as its first-ever brand ambassador.
- The company has launched 30-second message titled “Rohit Sharma Ki Seedhi Baat”, under its first-ever campaign #SeedhiBaat with Rohit Sharma, which is a public service message advising people on safety guidelines and rules to follow during lockdown to fight Covid-19 outbreak.
Javed Akhtar becomes 1st Indian to receive Richard Dawkins Award:
- Poet, lyricist and writer Javed Akhtar has honoured with the prestigious Richard Dawkins Award for 2020.
- He became the 1st Indian to be given the honour for critical thinking, holding religious dogma up to scrutiny, advancing human progress and humanist values.
- The award recognises a distinguished individual from the field of science, scholarship, education, or entertainment, who publicly proclaims the values of secularism and rationalism and upholding scientific truth.
Kiran M. Shaw named EY World Entrepreneur Of The Year 2020:
- Executive Chairperson of Biocon Ltd, Kiran Mazumdar-Shaw has been named EY World Entrepreneur Of The Year 2020.
- She was picked from among 46 award winners from 41 countries and territories vying for the world title.
- She is the first woman entrepreneur from India and the third Indian to win the title in the award’s 20-year history.
Gujarat, Tamil Nadu And Maharashtra Top In FSSAI Food Safety Index For 2019-20:
- Gujarat have topped an index that ranked states ensuring food safety in 2019-20.
- The smaller states, Goa came first followed by Manipur and Meghalaya. Among Union Territories, Chandigarh, Delhi and Andaman Islands secured top ranks, FSSAI.
- It was announced during a webinar conducted on the occasion of “World Food Safety Day” on June 7, 2020 on the theme “Food Safety is everyone’s business”.
Plantation Drive Named “Thank Mom” Started In Madhya Pradesh:
- In Madhya Pradesh, a plantation drive named “Thank Mom” has been started on the premises of Social Justice and Disabled Welfare Directorate on World Environment Day (June 5).
- As per the instruction from Commissioner Renu Tiwari, a variety of plants such as Neem, Guava, Mango, Moonlight, Parijat and Tulsi were planted with a plate in the name of each employee’s mother.
Himachal CM Launches Green Belt Development Scheme For Rural Senior Citizens:
- Chief Minister Jai Ram Thakur launched ‘Panchvati Yojna’ under which parks and gardens would be developed for senior citizens of rural areas in the state.
- Close to 100 such parks would be developed in different parts of the state during the current financial year.
Madhya Pradesh Tops Wheat Procurement In Country With 1.27 Crore Tones:
- Madhya Pradesh has reached the first position in the country in the procurement of wheat on support price, chief minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan.
- Wheat procurement in Madhya Pradesh has increased by 74 per cent as compared last year. It is almost equal to the 33 per cent of total wheat procured in the country.
India Loses 750 Tigers In Last Eight Years; MP, Maharashtra Report Maximum Casualties:
- As many as 750 tigers have died in the country in the last eight years due to poaching and other causes, with Madhya Pradesh reporting the highest casualties at 173.
- There was also seizure of 101 big cats during the eight year period between 2012 and 2019 by different authorities across the country, the National Tiger Conservation Authority (NTCA).
Union Minister Jitendra Singh launches “COVID BEEP” app for COVID-19:
- Union Minister Jitendra Singh has launched ‘COVID BEEP’ app, India’s 1st indigenous wireless physiological parameters monitoring system facilitated for COVID-19 affected patients.
- “COVID BEEP” stands for Continuous Oxygenation & Vital Information Detection Biomed ECIL ESIC Pod.
- ‘COVID BEEP’ has developed by Employees’ State Insurance Corporation (ESIC) medical college, Hyderabad in collaboration with Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Hyderabad and the Department of Atomic Energy.
CBIC launches flagship programme “Turant Customs”:
- Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Customs (CBIC) has launched its flagship programme “Turant Customs”. Turant Customs is a mega reform for the ease of doing business.
- The programme has been launched at Bengaluru and Chennai to take a leap forward to take advantage of the technology for faster Customs clearance of imported goods.
Manipur CM N. Biren Singh inaugurates “Plant Health Clinic”:
- Chief Minister of Manipur N. Biren Singh has inaugurated “Plant Health Clinic” at the Directorate of Horticulture and Soil Conservation, Imphal.
- The aim to open the clinic is to boost the economic growth of Manipur through agriculture and horticulture.
- Along with the clinic, the Chief Minister also launched a mobile soil testing laboratory van.
Andhra Pradesh launches online waste exchange website “APEMC”:
- Online waste exchange website of Andhra Pradesh Environment Management Corporation (APEMC) has been launched by the Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister YS Jagan Mohan Reddy.
- The website was launched on the occasion of World Environment Day.
- Andhra Pradesh has become India’s first state to launch waste exchange website.
- Through this platform, state government seeks to protect environment by covering 100% safe disposal of toxic waste, proper tracking, scrutiny as well as audit of waste.
“Gairsain” becomes summer capital of Uttarakhand:
- Gairsain in Chamoli district has been formally declared as the summer capital of Uttarakhand.
- The announcement was made after the assent from the governor Baby Rani Maurya was received in order to declare Gairsain the summer capital of Uttarakhand.
- Also, the declaration of a summer capital in the region is expected to expedite the development of the hilly areas.
Odisha cabinet gives state anthem status to “Bande Utkala Janani”:
- The state cabinet of Odisha has adopted “Bande Utklala Janani” or Glory to mother Utkala as the anthem of Odisha through video-conferencing.
- The anthem has been written by Kantakabi Laxmikanta Mohapatra in 1912.
MP launches urban street vendor welfare programme:
- Chief Minister of Madhya Pradesh, Shivraj Singh Chouhan has started Street Vendor Registration Portal //www.mpurban.gov.in/ and “Mukhyamantri Shahri Path Vyavsayi Utthan Yojana” and transferred Rs 300 crore to urban local bodies.
Rajasthan Goverment launches “Raj Kaushal Portal”:
- “Raj Kaushal Portal” and “Online Shramik Employment Exchange” has been launched by the Rajasthan Goverment.
- The portal has been developed by the department of Information and Technology (IT) and Rajasthan Skill & Livelihoods Development Corporation (RSLDC).
- The “Raj Kaushal Portal” aims to improve availability of opportunities for the migrated workers and hence acts as a bridge between industry and labourers.
New Zealand declares itself free from “Coronavirus”:
- The Health Ministry of South-Pacific nation, New Zealand has declared that the nation has become free from “Coronavirus”.
- The announcement was made when the last person who was being monitored for coronavirus was released from isolation and regarded as recovered.
- Hence, New Zealand has announced to lift all the coronavirus measures that were implemented in the country and move to national alert level 1 from midnight on 9 June 2020.
Kannada Actor Chiranjeevi Sarja Passes Away At 39:
- Kannada actor Chiranjeevi Sarja passed away at 39 due to a cardiac arrest at a private hospital in Bengaluru.
- He is the grandson of Kannada late actor Shakti Prasad & the nephew of multilingual actor Arjun Sarja.
RBI Proposes New Norms For Loan Sales And Securitizations:
- RBI has issued new draft frameworks for the sale of loan exposures and the securitization of standard assets by banks and NBFIs.
- The definition of securitization has been modified to allow single asset securitisations against the previous multiple assets.
World Bank lends Rs 1950 crore loans to West Bengal:
- West Bengal government has received a loan amount of Rs 1950 crore from the World Bank to tackle COVID-19 situation and developmental work in the state.
- Out of the total amount of Rs 1950 crore, West Bengal Government will spend Rs. 850 crore on various Social-Welfare schemes while the remaining Rs 1,100 crore will be spent to create Industrial infrastructures.
S&P Ratings projects Indian economy to shrink 5% in FY21:
- S&P Global Ratings has released its report on emerging markets titled “Financial Conditions Reflect Optimism, Lockdown Fatigue Emerges” and forecasted Indian economy to shrink by 5% in fiscal year 2020-21.
- It also projects India’s growth to rebound to 8.5% in the fiscal year 2021-22.
- It has also projected India’s growth to be 6.5% in the fiscal year 2022-23.
World Bank Forecasts World Economy To Contract 5.2% In 2020:
- Global economy has plunged into a severe contraction, will shrink by 5.2 per cent this year due to the massive shock of the coronavirus pandemic and the shutdown measures to contain it said by World Bank President David Malpass.
Myanmar military “Tatmadaw” returns to Facebook:
- Myanmar military “Tatmadaw” has decided to use Facebook again to provide ‘accurate’ news to people.
- On August 2018, Facebook restricted 18 records and a few pages related with the Tatmadaw and its senior officials over allegations of spreading loathe discourse.
- Facebook evacuated the records hours after a United Nations truth discovering crucial a report that blamed the Tatmadaw for slaughter and atrocities in northern Rakhine State in 2017.
India signs MOU on “Energy Cooperation” with Denmark:
- India has signed a Memorandum of Understanding on “Energy Cooperation” with Denmark to develop a strong, deep and long-term co-operation between two nations in the power sector.
- The MoU was signed between the Ministry of Power, Government of the Republic of India and the Ministry for Energy, Utilities and Climate, Government of the Kingdom of Denmark.
- As per the MoU, India & Denmark will also establish a Joint Working Group (JWG) for implementation of the identified areas.
NCERT & Rotary India signs MoU to telecast e-content:
- National Council Of Educational Research And Training has digitally signed an MoU with Rotary India Humanity Foundation under the guidance and support of Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD) to make e-learning more constructive and will ensure that e-learning reaches children across the nation with NCERT approved content.
- The MoU has been signed for e-learning content telecast for class I to XII over all NCERT TV channels.
- NCERT TV Tie-up: The telecast of curriculum modules for classes 1-12 would take place through twelve national Television channels of NCERT.
- DIKSHA App tie-up: The e-Learning modules would also be made available on GOI’s national mobile app “DIKSHA”.
IIT-Guwahati students develops “Flyzy” mobile app:
- Indian Institute of Technology, Guwahati has developed an application called “Flyzy” for consistent and contactless air travel during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- This application has been created according to International Air Transport Association rules.
- It gives contactless loading up, remembering the simpler stuff drop, reasonable stopping, better shopping experience and giving important updates during the entire excursion.
IL&FS sells 50% stake in GIFT city to Gujarat government:
- Infrastructure Leasing & Financial Services Limited (IL&FS) has completed the sale of its 50% stake in Gujarat International Finance Tec-City (GIFT City) which were bought by the Gujarat Urban Development Company Ltd (GUDCL), on behalf of the Gujarat government, at an amount of Rs 32.71 crore.
- IL&FS has received Rs 32.71 crore as equity value for shares. Gujarat International Finance Tec-City Company Ltd (GIFTCL) is active in the business of real estate development.
Jio Platforms raises Rs 5683.50 crore from ADIA:
- Jio Platforms has received investment of Rs 5683.50 crore from a wholly owned subsidiary of the Abu Dhabi Investment Authority (ADIA).
- It has bought 1.16% stake in Jio Platforms with its investment of Rs 5683.50 crore and valued the Jio Platforms at an equity value of Rs 4.91 lakh crore and an enterprise value of Rs 5.16 lakh crore.
DIAT develops ‘Ananya’ to fight against COVID-19:
- Defence Institute of Advanced Technology (DIAT) has developed “ANANYA” water-based disinfectant spray with nanotechnology assisted formulation that can be used by anyone, from a common man to a healthcare worker, for the individual as well as on large scale.
- It can be used on masks, PPEs, hospital linens, as well as other likely contaminated surfaces such as medical instruments, elevator buttons, doorknobs, corridors and rooms.
Anil Valluri appointed as senior director for Google Cloud India:
- Anil Valluri has been appointed as the Senior Director for Google Cloud in India.
- He has over 30 years of experience in sales and marketing in the hi-tech industry.
- He has also headed several technology transitions in India for customers across banking, telecommunications, public sector and manufacturing.
Lawyer Javed Iqbal Wani appointed as J&K High Court Judge:
- President Ram Nath Kovind has appointed senior Kashmiri lawyer Javed Iqbal Wani as a Judge of the Jammu and Kashmir High Court.
- His appointment was recommended on January 22 by the Supreme Court Collegium headed by Chief Justice of India S A Bobde.
- This is for the first time after 2013 that a Kashmiri has been elevated as a judge of the High Court from Bar quota.
Renjith Kumar honoured with “NASA Distinguished Public Service Medal”:
- Renjith Kumar from Kerala has been honoured with “NASA Distinguished Service Medal” for his administration to NASA through executive leadership, engineering contribution, technical excellence and consumer loyalty.
- He worked in relationship with NASA for over 30 years and contributed to updating the International Space Stations(ISS).
Astronaut Kathy Sullivan Becomes First Woman To Reach Deepest Point Of Ocean:
- Kathy Sullivan, America’s first female spacewalker, also became the first woman to reach the deepest known point of the ocean.
- Sullivan dove to the bottom of the Challenger Deep and safely returned in her submersible vessel.
- She is now the eighth person to reach the depth, the lowest point in the Marianas Trench, which is about 35,853 feet under the Western Pacific Ocean surface.
India’s First Virtual Business-To-Business Trade Fair Kicked Off:
- India’s first virtual Business-To-Business trade fair concluded. It is organized by the Export Promotion Council for Handicrafts (EPCH).
- This platform hosted stalls of around 200 Indian exporters four-day fair of fashion jewllery and accessories, to be accessed by importers in key markets like the US and Europe.
Uttar Pradesh Govt Amends 65 Years Old Cow Slaughter Act Of State:
- Uttar Pradesh government has amended the 65 years old cow slaughter act of state and made stringent provisions in a new ordinance to stop cow slaughter in the state.
- The State Cabinet has approved Cow-Slaughter Prevention (Amendment) Ordinance, 2020.
Government Hikes Import Duty On Bamboo From 10 To 25 Percent:
- Union Government has hiked Customs duty on Bamboo imports by Agarbatti manufacturers from 10 per cent to 25 per cent with immediate effect.
- The decision has been taken to encourage use of domestic bamboo under the Aatmanirbhar Bharat scheme.
Gomathi Marimuthu gets four-year doping ban from AIU:
- Athletics Integrity Unit (AIU) has banned Gomathi Marimuthu for 4-years after she tested positive for banned substances.
- Her ban will start from 17th May 2019 and end on 16th May 2023. All of Gomathi’s competition results between March 18 and May 17, 2019, stand invalid.
Former Union Minister Arjun Charan Sethi passes away:
- Former Union Water Resources Minister Arjun Charan Sethi who was eight-time MP from Bhadrak, Odisha, passed away.
- He was Union Water Resources Minister in Atal Bihari Vajpayee Cabinet from 2000 to 2004.
- The veteran politician was also elected to Odisha Assembly twice on Janata Dal ticket in 1991 and 1995 from Bhandaripokhari.
Tamil Nadu Lawmaker And DMK MLA J Anbazhagan Dies Due To Covid-19:
- DMK MLA Anbazhagan from Chepauk became the first VIP victim of coronavirus from Tamil Nadu when he died at the age of 62.
- A three-time MLA, Anbazhagan was elected to the assembly in 2001, 2011 and 2016.
Former TN Footballer Balasamy Passes Away:
- Balasamy former Vice President of Chennai Football Association and assistant secretary of Madras United Club passed away. Balasamy first played for Don Bosco Oratoryin the MFA league.
Kurt Thomas, World Champion Gymnast And ‘Gymkata’ Star, Dies At 64:
- Kurt Thomas, the winner of the first World Championship gold medal in the history of S. gymnastics, passed away.
- Thomas, known for his original and daring skills, including the “Thomas Flair” on pommel horse, and the “Thomas Salto” on floor exercise, won a total of eight world medals.
June 09 – World Accreditation Day 2020:
- The World Accreditation Day (WAD) is celebrated globally on 9th June every year to highlight and promote the role of accreditation in trade & economy.
- The International Accreditation Forum (IAF) and the International Laboratory Accreditation Cooperation (ILAC) decided the theme for WAD 2020 as “Accreditation: Improving Food Safety”.