Current Affairs – Daily Current Affairs 2020
June 06 – Russian Language Day:
- United Nations celebrates Russian Language Day every year on 6 June to raise awareness of the history, culture and development of each of the six official languages of the UN: Arabic, Russian, Spanish, Chinese, English and French.
- Russian Language Day is celebrated on the birthday of the great Russian poet A.S. Pushkin.
June 07 – World Food Safety Day 2020:
- The United nations celebrates World Food Safety Day (WFSD) on 7 June every year to raise awareness about different foodborne risks and the measures of how to prevent it.
- The campaigns will also spread awareness that how food safety is very much important and related to different other important factors of life such as human health, economic growth, and many others.
- According to the World Health Organisation (WHO), this year theme is ‘Food safety, everyone’s business’.
HDFC Bank launches “Summer Treats” campaign:
- HDFC Bank has launched the “Summer Treats” campaign. It has been launched by the bank with the easing of the lockdown restrictions in order to provide offers to both merchants and, salaried and self-employed customers.
- Under this campaign, bank will offer no cost EMI and no down payment for large appliances.
- It will also offer discounts and cashbacks on select brands along with 50% extra reward points on online spend using credit cards.
CSIR & Atal Innovation Mission to promote Innovation in India:
- Council of Scientific & Industrial Research has partnered with Atal Innovation Mission to promote innovation in India.
- Both organizations have signed a letter of intent to boost innovation ecosystem of the country.
- The partnership will support world class start-ups through CSIR Incubators under the Atal Innovation mission initiatives.
- They will jointly work on new models of innovation and will also set-up CSIR Innovation Parks.
- With the collaboration of CSIR with ARISE, an initiative of AIM, they will together stimulate innovation and research in the MSME industry.
Rahul Shrivastava appointed India’s next Ambassador to Romania:
- Rahul Shrivastava has been appointed as the next Ambassador of India to Romania.
- He is presently serving as Joint Secretary in the Ministry of External Affairs. He is an IFS officer of 1999 batch.
- He will replace Thanglura Darlong as the next Ambassador of India to Romania.
Kushal Pal Singh retires as Chairman of DLF:
- After nearly six decades in business, Kushal Pal Singh retired as the Chairman of property firm Delhi Land & Finance Limited (DLF).
- He joined the DLF company in 1946 and took over as chairman of DLF on October 1, 1995.
- Rajiv Singh has been appointed as the new chairman of DLF while Kushal Pal Singh was made chairman emeritus.
Information booklet “Safe online learning in the times of COVID-19” launched:
- The information booklet titled “Safe online learning in the times of COVID-19” has been launched.
- It has been developed by the National Council of Educational Research and Training (NCERT), and UNESCO New Delhi Office.
- It will play an important role in keeping children, young people safe online through basic do’s, and don’ts that will help parents and educators teach their children how to use the internet safely.
G20 group pledges over $21 billion to fight Covid-19 pandemic:
- Member countries of the Group of 20 (G20) has pledged more than $21 billion to fight COVID-19 pandemic.
- The group has coordinated the global efforts by pledging more than $21 billion to improve the global health and hence supporting the fight against the COVID-19 pandemic.
‘#iCommit’ initiative launched on World Environment Day:
- Minister of State (IC) for Power and New & Renewable Energy, R. K. Singh has launched the “#iCommit” initiative on the occasion of World Environment Day to create a robust and resilient energy system in the future by moving towards energy efficiency, renewable energy, and sustainability.
- Energy Efficiency Services Limited (EESL) will be responsible for driving the ‘#iCommit’ initiative in order to build a new energy future for India.
India will host 2022 Women’s Asian Cup:
- India has been awarded the hosting rights of the 2022 Women’s Asian Cup by the Asian Football Confederation.
- As hosts, India will get an automatic qualification to the tournament.
- The decision of awarding India the hosting rights of 2022 Women’s Asian Cup was taken at the AFC Women’s Football Committee meeting.
Former Governor & Delhi Police Chief Ved Marwah passes away:
- Former Governor & Delhi Police commissioner, Ved Marwah passed away.
- He served as Governor of Manipur (1999- 2003), Mizoram (2000-2001) and Jharkhand (2003-2004).
- He also served as Delhi Police Commissioner from 1985-88.
Former world gymnastics champion Kurt Thomas passes away:
- The first U.S. male gymnast to win a world championship gold medal, Kurt Thomas passed away.
- He won the gold medal at the world championships in 1978.
- He was a five-time NCAA champion at Indiana State University.
- He led the gymnastics team to a national championship in 1977.
Bollywood producer Anil Suri passes away:
- Bollywood producer Anil Suri passed away due to COVID-19.
- He was renowned for producing bollywood films such as Raaj Kumar-Rekha starrer Karmayogi and Raaj Tilak.
- In 1991, he also directed a movie titled “Begunaah starring Rajesh Khanna, Farah Naaz and Jeetendra.
Producer and songwriter Rupert Hine passes away:
- British Producer and songwriter Rupert Hine passed away.
- He began his career as a musician in folk band Rupert & David and also worked with other bands such as Quantum Jump and Spin 1ne 2wo. He was a dominant producer in the 1980s and 1990s.
- His renowned works that appeared on soundtracks for the films Better Off Dead, Golden Eye, The Fifth Element, etc.