Current Affairs – Daily Current Affairs 2020
May 07 – World Athletics Day:
- The World Athletics Day-2020 is observed on the 7 May. The date is subject to adjustment, the date of World Athletics Day is decided by the IAAF, however, the month stays the same as May.
- The first World Athletics Day was observed in 1996. The basic objective of World Athletics Day is to boost the participation of youths in athletics.
May 07 – Vesak Day:
- Vesak Day 2020 is observed globally on 7 May. Vesak, the Day of Full Moon is the most sacred day to the Buddhists all over the world.
- On this day, Lord Gautham Buddha attained enlightenment. The Day is commemorated by the United Nations every year.
Gurudev:Journey of the Maestro through his visual vocabulary:
- The National Gallery of Modern Art has organized a virtual tour to commemorate the 159th birth anniversary of Gurudev Rabindranath Tagore.
- The Virtual Tour has been titled as “Gurudev: Journey of the Maestro through his visual vocabulary”.
- The virtual tour will give opportunity to have a glimpse of 102 artworks created by versatile genius.
Operation “Samudra Setu” launched by Indian Navy:
- An operation named “Samudra Setu” has been launched by the Indian Navy as a part of India’s effort to bring back Indian citizens who are stranded overseas amid COVID-19 pandemic.
- As part of Phase-1 of operation “Samudra Setu”, Indian Naval Ships Jalashwa and Magar are presently proceeding to the port of Malè, Republic of Maldives to start evacuation operations from 08 May 2020.
Ultra Violet Disinfection Tower developed by DRDO:
- An Ultra Violet (UV) Disinfection Tower has been developed by the Laser Science & Technology Centre (LASTEC) to achieve rapid and chemical free disinfection of high infection prone areas.
- It is a UV based area sanitiser which is beneficial for high tech surfaces such as electronic equipment, computers and other gadgets in laboratories as well as offices that are not suitable for disinfection with chemical methods.
IIT Kanpur & Bharat Dynamics Limited ink pact to make affordable ventilators:
- A defence public sector undertaking, Bharat Dynamics Ltd. (BDL), ink pact with IIT Kanpur to make large-scale ventilators developed by NOCCA Robotics(incubated start-up of IIT Kanpur).
CSIR-IGIB signs MoU with TATA Sons for licensing KNOWHOW for FELUDA:
- Institute of Genomics and Integrative Biology has partnered with TATA Sons for licensing of KNOWHOW for FELUDA in order to execute rapid diagnosis of COVID-19.
- The partnership aims to provide license which will enable transfer of the knowledge for scaling up the KNOWHOW in the form of a kit in order to employ it for COVID-19 testing on ground as soon as possible.
- The main advantages of FELUDA is its affordability, relative ease of use as well as non-dependency on expensive Q-PCR machines.
Bamboo Conclave held via Video Conferencing:
- A Bamboo Conclave was held through Video Conference and was addressed by Union Minister of State (I/C) Development of North Eastern Region (DoNER), Dr Jitendra Singh.
- It featured the participation of representatives of Ministry of Development of North Eastern Region, the Union Ministry of Agriculture and various other stakeholders from different sectors.
- During his address, Jitendra Singh deliberated on the Ministry of DoNER’ plans to promote bamboo manufacturing and trade, as well as working out the practicability of Public Private Partnership (PPP) in this sector.
Current Affairs – Daily Current Affairs 2020
PNB Housing Finance partners with IIT Delhi for reusable PPE:
- An Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) has been signed by the PNB Housing Finance with Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi in order to support Research & Development for reusable Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) to be supplied to government hospitals.
- The MoU aims to enhance the research and development (R&D) of a unique prototype material to be employed in making affordable, sustainable and reusable PPE surgical gowns and masks.
- These sustainable PPE surgical gowns and masks would be supplied to notable government hospitals.
IIT Alumni council launches “COVID-19 test bus”:
- The Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Alumni Council has launched a “COVID-19 test bus” in Mumbai, Maharashtra.
- The COVID-19 Testing bus will reduce 80% of the testing cost without compromising on the testing capacity.
DPS Negi takes charge as Director General to Labour Bureau:
- Indian Economic Services officer, DPS Negi took charge as Director-General of Labour Bureau in the Ministry of Labour and Employment.
- Besides this, Negi also assumed charge as Senior Labour & Employment Advisor of the ministry.
- He is an Indian Economic Services (IES) officer of the 1985 batch. Prior to this new assignment, Negi served as Advisor Finance (MSME).
Adhir Ranjan Chowdhury reappointed PAC chairperson:
- Adhir Ranjan Chowdhury, Congress leader in Lok Sabha has been reappointed as chairperson of the Parliament’s public accounts committee (PAC).
- He was reappointed the chairman of the committee by Lok Sabha Speaker Om Birla.
Tarun Bajaj becomes new director on RBI Central Board:
- Economic Affairs Secretary, Tarun Bajaj becomes new director on Central Board of the Reserve Bank of India (RBI).
- His appointment is confirmed by the Government of India. He is a 1988 batch Indian Administration Service (IAS) officer.
- He will replace Atanu Chakraborty, who retired on April 30.
Mustafa Al Kadhimi becomes new Prime Minister of Iraq:
- Former intelligence chief of Iraq Mustafa al-Kadhimi becomes new Iraqi prime minister.
- Former PM Adil-Abdul Mahdi resigned in November last year.
- The Iraqi parliament approved Kadhimi’s government at an emergency session. He will begin his term without a full cabinet, however, after several ministerial candidates were rejected.
- He is serving as the head of Iraq’s National Intelligence Service (NIS) from 2016.
Krishnan Ramachandran appointed as new MD & CEO of Max Bupa:
- Krishnan Ramachandran has been appointed as the new managing director (MD) and chief executive officer (CEO) of Max Bupa Health Insurance.
- Prior to this, he has served as the CEO of Apollo Munich Health Insurance. He has over 23 years of experience in health insurance, healthcare and life sciences segments.
Ashok Michael Pinto nominated as US representative to IBRD:
- Indian-American lawyer Ashok Michael Pinto has been nominated by the United States President, Donald Trump as US representative to World Bank’s lending arm International Bank for Reconstruction and Development (IBRD).
- He has been nominated as US Alternate Executive Director of IBRD for the duration of 2 years. He is currently serving as Counsellor to the Under Secretary for International Affairs at the United States (US) Department of the Treasury.
Lt Gen Raj Shukla assumes charge of Army Training Command:
- Lieutenant General Raj Shukla has assumed the command of the Army Training Command (ARTRAC).
- He was commissioned into the Regiment of Artillery in December 1982. He has served two tenures at the Military Operations Directorate and as the Director-General, Perspective Planning at Army HQ.
“NGMA KE SANGRAH SE” presented by National Gallery of Modern Art:
- National Gallery of Modern Art, New Delhi has presented a virtual program “NGMA KE SANGRAH SE”.
- The theme for the current week of the virtual program is “ARTIST BY ARTISTS” and has been dedicated to Gurudev Rabindranath Tagore.
- Various other exciting and thought-provoking themes are planned for the coming days and will provide art lovers, artists, art connoisseurs, students, teachers, an opportunity to see the rarely presented artworks from their homes.
Saurabh Lodha honoured with Young Career Award in Nano Sci. & Tech. 2020:
- IIT Bombay Professor Saurabh Lodha has been honoured with the Young Career Award in Nano Science & Technology for the year 2020, for his pioneering contributions in the development of logic transistor technologies past silicon and nanoelectronic devices based on two-dimensional Van der Waals materials.
- This award is instituted by the Department of Science and Technology (DST), Government of India.
The Marcus Wallenberg Prize 2020:
- Joseph J Landsberg, Richard H Waring and Nicholas C Coops will share the 2020 Marcus Wallenberg Prize for a model to predict forest growth in a changing climate.
- The prize ceremony will be held in Stockholm, Sweden & the prize money is 2 million Kronor.
Vladimir Putin honours Kim Jong-un with a World War II medal:
- Russian President Vladimir Putin has honoured the North Korean Leader Kim Jong-un with a World War-II memorial medal marking the 75th anniversary of the victory over Nazi Germany.
- The North Korean leader was awarded with medal for his role in preserving the memory of Soviet soldiers who died on North Korean territory.
UP govt launches ‘Ayush Kavach-Covid’ App:
- Uttar Pradesh government has launched ‘Ayush Kavach-COVID’ app to help people get health remedies which can be useful in the fight against COVID-19.
- The app has been developed by AYUSH ministry.
HP govt to starts ‘Nigah’ to educate family members of migrant returnees:
- Himachal Pradesh state government plans to launch a new programme ‘Nigah’.
- In this programme, the state government educate the family members of the people coming to the state from other parts of the country.
NITI Aayog launches ‘Surakshit Dada-Dadi & Nana-Nani Abhiyan’:
- NITI Aayog has virtually launched a campaign in association with Piramal Foundation to protect senior citizens during COVID-19.
- The campaign has been titled as “Surakshit Dada-Dadi & Nana-Nani Abhiyan”.
- This newly launched campaign aims to ensure the well-being of senior citizens during the COVID-19 pandemic.
West Bengal government rolls out “Exit App”:
- The West Bengal government has rolled out an “Exit App” for people from other states who are stucked in West Bengal amid the nationwide lockdown and desires to return to their native place.
- It will enable these people who are willing to go back to their native states, by applying online on this app.
- It can be accessed by the stranded people from the West Bengal government’s ‘Egiye Bangla’ website.
Chandigarh launches “CHDCOVID” app to provide COVID-19 information:
- The Chandigarh government has launched a new mobile application named “CHDCOVID” to provide COVID-19 related information.
- It has been developed in-house by the Society for Promotion of IT in Chandigarh (SPIC) and act as a single point platform where people can access all the guidelines, orders and notifications issued by Administration and Government of India.
Badminton World Championships 2020 postponed:
- The Badminton World Championships 2020 has been postponed to November 2021.
- The tournament will be held at the Carolina Marin Stadium in Huelva, Spain.
- The Championship would be organised by the Badminton World Federation (BWF) and Spanish Badminton Federation (FESBA).
A book titled Vijyant at Kargil: The Life of a Kargil War Hero:
- The book titled ‘Vijyant at Kargil: The Life of a Kargil Hero’ has been released. This book is a biography of Vir Chakra awardee(posthumously) Captain Vijyant Thapar.
- This book is authored by Vijyant’s father Colonel VN Thapar and writer Neha Dwivedi, a martyr’s daughter.
- This book shows the journey of Vijyant Thapar to join the Indian Military Academy and the experiences that shaped him into a fine officer.
Former Union Minister Dalit Ezhilmalai passes away:
- Former Union Minister Dalit Ezhilamalai who served as the Union Minister of State, Health and Family Welfare (Independent Charge) during the Atal Bihari Vajpayee government in 1998–99, passed away.
- As an army officer, he took part in the 1971 Indo-Pak war and also received the Sainik Seva Medal from the President for his meritorious service in the Army.