May 08 – World Red Cross Day:
- World Red Cross Day is observed globally on 8 May every year. This day is observed to commemorate the birth anniversary of the Red Cross and International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) founder, Henry Dunant.
- This day is dedicated to the people who suffer from shortage of food, several natural calamities, war as well as from an epidemic disease.
May 08 – World Thalassaemia Day:
- World Thalassaemia Day is observed globally on 8 May every year. This day is observed to raise awareness about thalassaemia disease, its preventive measures and to avoid transmission and the importance of vaccination for children’s health, society and among the people throughout the world.
- Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, World Thalassaemia Day 2020 will be celebrated through different online activities.
- Theme – “The dawning of a new era for thalassaemia: Time for a global effort to make novel therapies accessible and affordable to patients”.
Time of Remembrance and Reconciliation for Those Who Lost Their Lives during the World War II:
- Every year during May 8-9, the United Nations marks the Time of Remembrance and reconciliation for those who lost their lives during the Second World War.
- The day pays tribute to all the victims of the Second World War. This year is the 75th Anniversary of World War II.
May 09 – World Migratory Bird Day:
- World Migratory Bird Day is observed globally on 9 May every year. The aim of the day is to raise awareness of migratory birds and the importance of international cooperation to conserve them.
- Theme – “Birds Connect Our World”.
- The theme highlights the importance of conserving and restoring the ecological connectivity and integrity of ecosystems that support the natural cycles that are essential for the survival and well-being of migratory birds.
Nation celebrates 480th birth anniversary of Maharana Pratap:
- Nation celebrates 480th birth anniversary of Maharana Pratap on 9 May. He was Born on 9 May 1540.
- To honour of the brave king, Maharana Pratap Jayanti is celebrated every year on 9 May.
SBI reduces benchmark lending rate by 15 basis points:
- State Bank of India (SBI) slashed the benchmark lending rate by 15 basis points (bps).
- With the newly announced cut, the MCLR (Marginal Cost of Funds based Lending Rate) reduced to 7.25%, from 7.40% with effect from 10 of May.
Moody’s cuts India’s GDP growth to “zero” in FY21:
- Moody’s cuts down India’s Gross Domestic Product (GDP) growth to “zero” for the current fiscal 2020-21.
- Its previous estimate was 2.6%. In 2021-22 India’s GDP growth rate will bounce back to 6.6%.
- The negative outlook reflects an increase in risk that economic growth remains significantly lower than in the past & is triggered by COVID-19.
- The weakening of fiscal metrics could lead to a downgrade, which will affect investment flow in India.
UN and partners launch USD 6.7 billion appeals for vulnerable countries for COVID-19 relief:
- The United Nations and its partner agencies launched a $6.7 billion global appeal to fight the COVID-19 pandemic.
- It will focus on more vulnerable countries and combating food insecurity and gender-based violence.
AIIB approves $500 million loan for India’s Covid-19 response:
- Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB) has approved a loan worth of $500 million for India’s ‘COVID-19 Emergency Response.
- The assistance will help India to scale up efforts to restrict the transmission of instances, strengthen the public health system to broaden its response capability and to improve preparedness to handle future outbreaks.
IMD’s forecast now includes PoK and Gilgit-Baltistan:
- The Indian Meteorological Department has begun to include Jammu and Kashmir, Gilgit-Baltistan, Ladakh and Muzaffarabad into its meteorological sub-division of Jammu and Kashmir.
Defence Minister inaugurates new road to Kailash Mansarovar:
- Defence Minister Rajnath Singh has inaugurated new 80-km road in Uttarakhand which connects close to the Line of Actual Control (LAC) and opens a new route for Kailash Mansarovar yatra via Lipulekh Pass.
- The Border Roads Organisation (BRO) achieved road connectivity from Dharchula to Lipulekh (China Border) known as Kailash-Mansarovar Yatra Route.
Defence Ministry signs pact with Tata Power to modernise 37 Airfields:
- The Ministry of Defence has signed a pact with the TATA POWER SED to modernize infrastructure of 37 airfields of Indian Air Force.
- The total cost of the project is estimated to be around Rs 1,200 crore.
Coir Board signed MoU with IIT-Madras for setting up Centre of Excellence for coir applications:
- Coir Board signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the Indian Institute of Technology- Madras (IIT-Madras) on 7 May.
- The aim was to establish a Centre of Excellence (CoE) for the application of Coir exclusively or in combination with other natural fibres.
ICMR partners India Post for delivery of COVID-19 testing kits:
- Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) has entered into a tie-up with the India Post for delivery of its coronavirus COVID-19 testing kits.
- These kits are taken from ICMR 16 regional depots to 200 additional labs designated for coronavirus testing across the country.
TRIFED signs MoU with AOL to promote tribal enterprises:
- Tribal Cooperative Marketing Development Federation of India (TRIFED) under the Ministry of Tribal Affairs and Art Of Living (AOL) has signed a Memorandum of Understanding to collaborate in programmes of each organisation for promoting Tribal Enterprises.
- The Art of Living Foundation has agreed to provide Free Ration Kits to Needy Tribes India Artisans.
India signs MoUs with Russia for coking coal:
- Coal India signed MOUs with two Russian entities within the areas of coking coal mining within the Russian Far East and therefore the Arctic Region.
- The first MOUs was signed with Far Eastern Agency for Attracting Investments and Supporting Exports (FEAAISE), Russia and the second MoU was signed with Eastern Mining Company (FEMC) of Russian Federation for exploring, identifying, sourcing, negotiating and consummating interdependent investment opportunities within the mining sector within the Russian Far East .
JNCASR scientists fabricate energy-efficient photodetector for security application:
- Scientists from Jawaharlal Nehru Centre for Advanced Scientific Research (JNCASR) have fabricated an economical and energy-efficient wafer-scale photodetector using gold–silicon interface.
- The thin slice-based device can be used for security applications.
- The photodetector will detect weak scattered light as an indication of unwanted activity.
China launches new rocket “Long March 5B” successfully:
- China has successfully launched a new rocket named “Long March 5B” into space as it steps up Moon landing plans.
- This rocket is launched in Wenchang launch site that is located on the island of Hainan, china.
Kumar Sangakkara set for 2nd term as MCC President:
- Former Sri Lanka skipper Kumar Sangakkara is set to serve his second term as the president of Marylebone Cricket Club (MCC).
- He became the first non-British President of the club when he assumed office on October 1 last year.
- Sangakkara is all set to enter an elite list of people who have served multiple terms.
UNEP extends actress Dia Mirza term as goodwill ambassador till 2022:
- The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) extended the term of Bollywood actress and environmentalist Dia Mirza as the Goodwill Ambassador of India till 2022.
- The actress is also the United Nations Sustainability Development Goal Advocate.
- As a Goodwill Ambassador, Mirza will continue work with the UN to further spread the message on key areas including clean air, clean seas, wildlife protection and climate change.
Giriraj Singh awards Startup India-Animal Husbandry Grand Challenge winners:
- Union Minister for Fisheries, Animal Husbandry and Dairying, Giriraj Singh awarded the winners of “Startup India-Animal Husbandry Grand Challenge” on 8 May.
- The Animal Husbandry Startup Grand Challenge was launched by the Department of Animal Husbandry and Dairying, in partnership with Startup India.
UP goverment launches “Pravasi Raahat Mitra” App:
- Uttar Pradesh goverment has launched a “Pravasi Raahat Mitra” App to connect migrants with schemes and jobs.
- The app, developed in coordination with the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) to keep a watch on the migrants’ health, will also connect them to government schemes and collect their data to help them get a job in accordance with their skills.
Union Health & Family Welfare Minister launches “AYUSH Sanjivani” App:
- Union Health & Family Welfare Minister, Dr Harsh Vardhan has recently launched the mobile application ‘AYUSH Sanjivani’ App and two AYUSH based studies related to COVID-19 situation.
- The app was developed by the Ministry of Ayurveda, Yoga & Naturopathy, Unani, Siddha, and Homoeopathy (AYUSH) and Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MEITY).
GoI launches ‘Vande Bharat Mission’ exercise to bring Indians from abroad:
- The Government of India has launched its biggest-ever evacuation exercises named the “Vande Bharat Mission”.
- In this exercise, the government bring back nearly 15,000 Indian nationals stranded abroad due to the coronavirus lockdown.
Visakhapatnam Gas Leak Tragedy:
- Styrene gas leaked from LG Polymers Plant in Vishakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh.
- The plant was located about 15 km from the coastal city of Vizag. The changes in temperature inside a storage tank resulted in a leak.
Tamil Nadu government increases retirement age to 59:
- Tamil Nadu government increases the retirement age of the government staff, teachers and those in public sector units from 58 years to 59 years.
- More than 25,000 government employees were set to superannuate this financial year. Those who are due for retirement on May 31 this year will now retire on May 31, 2021.
MP becomes 1st state to provide Mid-Day Meal ration:
- Madhya Pradesh has become the 1st state in the country to provide mid-day meal ration.
- Distribution of the mid-day Meal ration with the help of Anganwadi workers, Panchayat representatives and local teachers was taken in sending ration to the students at their home after the school closing in April.
Jharkhand govt bans Pan Masala for 1 year:
- The Jharkhand government has banned 11 brands of Pan Masala for one year in the state. The order was passed by the Commissioner of Food Safety in the state, Nitin Kulkarni.
- The state had collected 41 samples of Pan Masala belonging to different brands from different districts to test and analyse during the year 2019-20.
NCSTC-GUJCOST to host Webinar series to overcome COVID-19 by awareness and preparedness:
- The National Council for Science & Technology Communication (NCSTC), Department of Science & Technology, Government of India, in association with the Gujarat Council of Science & Technology (GUJCOST) has announced to organize a Citizen’s Science Webinar Series on “Science Communication in the Time of COVID-19.”
- The webinar has been scheduled to be held from 10-16 May 2020 everyday between 10-11 am.
Iran introduces new currency “Toman” to tackle Inflation:
- The Government of Iran recently takes a decision of changing the name of its currency to a “Toman”.
- Under the bill, Iran national currency is going to be changed from the rial to the Toman, which is adequate to 10,000 rials.
Veteran director & story artist Rob Gibbs passes away:
- Veteran director, story artist and writer of many Pixar films Rob Gibbs passed away.
- He was well Known for successful Pixar films, including Toy Story 2, Finding Nemo, Monsters.Up, Wall-E, Inside Out to Onward.
KFH Tournament founder Pandanda Kuttappa passes away:
- Founder of Kodava Family Hockey Tournament, Pandanda Kuttappa passed away.
- Kuttappa conceived the idea of Kodava family hockey festival in 1997. He was a former State Bank of India employee and an ex-first division hockey referee, Pandanda Kuttappa has bestowed the Karnataka Rajyothsava award in 2015.
- Kuttappa used to oversee the tournament for the last 22 years. Kodava Family Hockey Tournament held every year in Karnataka.