Current Affairs – Daily Current Affairs 2020
June 04 – International Day of Innocent Children Victims of Aggression:
- International Day of Innocent Children Victims of Aggression is observed globally on 4th June every year.
- This day affirms the UN’s commitment to guard the rights of children.
- This day is to acknowledge the pain suffered by children throughout the planet who are the victims of physical, mental and emotional abuse.
- The main aim of celebrating today is to spread the notice about the pain and sufferings faced by the victims as children.
June 05 – World Environment Day:
- World Environment Day is observed globally on 5th June every year to raise awareness about protecting the environment and to remind people not to take nature granted.
- World Environment Day 2020 will be celebrated with the theme Biodiversity.
- World Environment Day is promoted by the United Nation and for 2020 Colombia will host the World Environment Day.
IndusInd Bank starts mobile-based current account opening facility:
- The IndusInd Bank has launched a mobile application-based facility where customer can open the current bank account in a paperless manner in just a few hours.
- The app uses multiple application programme interfaces (APIs) which enable secured validation of KYC documents from authorised government platforms.
RBI launches “Payments Infrastructure Development Fund”:
- Payments Infrastructure Development Fund (PIDF) has been created by the Reserve Bank of India to encourage acquirers to deploy Points of Sale (PoS) infrastructure, both physical as well as digital modes, in tier-3 to tier-6 centres and in north eastern states.
- In the newly launched fund, an initial contribution of Rs 250 crores will be made by the Reserve Bank of India i.e. covering half the fund, while the remaining contribution will be from card issuing banks and card networks operating in the country.
World Economic Forum to host Unique Twin Summit in 2021:
- The World Economic Forum will host a Unique Twin Summit in January, 2021 which would will be both in-person as well as virtual, hence connecting key global governmental and business leaders in Davos.
- Theme – “The Great Reset”.
- “The Great Reset” is a joint initiative of the World Economic Forum and HRH The Prince of Wales.
- As a part of “The Great Reset” dailogue, the World Economic Forum’s digital platform “UpLink” will contribute by crowdsourcing innovations for the Sustainable Development Goals.
United Kingdom hosts virtual Global Vaccine Summit 2020:
- Virtual Global Vaccine Summit 2020 was hosted by the UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson.
- India was represented by the Prime Minister Narendra Modi in the summit.
- During the virtual summit, India pledged a contribution of 15 Million US Dollars to Gavi, the international vaccine alliance.
CCI approves merger of Peugeot S.A & Fiat Chrysler Automobiles N.V.:
- The merger of Peugeot S.A (PSA) and Fiat Chrysler Automobiles N.V. (FCA) has been approved by the Competition Commission of India (CCI).
- Peugeot S.A (PSA) is a publicly listed limited liability company incorporated in France.
- Headquartered in London, Fiat Chrysler Automobiles N.V. (FCA) is a public company with limited liability and a global automotive group.
- PSA is an original equipment manufacturer and dealer of motor vehicles, passenger cars as well as light commercial vehicles.
Brajendra Navnit becomes India’s new ambassador to WTO:
- India has appointed Brajendra Navnit as India’s new ambassador to the World Trade Organization (WTO).
- He will be posted at the Permanent Mission of India (PMI) to the WTO in Geneva.
- He will replace JS Deepak at the PMI. The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet also approved the appointment of Anwar Hussain Shaik for the post of Counsellor, at the PMI to WTO, Geneva.
Rajeev Topno appointed as Senior Advisor to ED of World Bank:
- Senior bureaucrat Rajeev Topno has been appointed as the Senior Advisor to the Executive Director (ED) of World Bank, in Washington DC.
- He was presently serving as the Private Secretary to the Prime Minister Narendra Modi since 2014. He is a 1996 batch IAS officer of Gujarat cadre.
- He has been appointed as the Senior Advisor to the Executive Director (ED) of World Bank for a period of three years.
V N Datt becomes new CMD of National Fertilizers Limited:
- National Fertilizers Limited (NFL) Marketing Director, Virendra Nath Datt has taken additional charge of Chairman & Managing Director of the Company.
- He will replace Manoj Mishra.
Krishnendu Majumdar becomes new chairman of BAFTA:
- Emmy-winning television producer, Krishnendu Majumdar becomes the new chairman of British Academy of Film and Television Arts (BAFTA).
- He is the first person of colour to be named as the chairperson of BAFTA in its 73 year-long histories of BAFTA.
- He will replace Pippa Harris. Harris will now continue as deputy chairperson.
Twitter appoints ex-Google CFO as new board chairman:
- Twitter has appointed ex-Google chief financial officer (CFO), Patrick Pichette as new board chairman.
- He will replace Omid Kordestani. Pichette joined Twitter’s board of directors in 2017 and had been a lead independent director since the end of 2018.
- Prior to this, he served as Google’s CFO from 2008 until 2015. It is the first time in Twitter’s history that an outsider will preside over the group.
Uday Kotak takes over as President of CII:
- MD & CEO, Kotak Mahindra Bank, Uday Kotak has taken over as the President of Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) for the year 2020-21.
- He has replaced the chairman and MD of Kirloskar Systems, Vikram Kirloskar as the President of CII.
Subramanian Sundar’s tenure as LVB CEO extended by 6 months:
- The tenure of Subramanian Sundar as the Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer of Lakshmi Vilas Bank has been extended after the approval from the Reserve Bank of India.
- His tenure has been extended for a period of 6 months i.e. till 30th November 2020 or till the appointment of the new CEO, whichever is earlier.
Kritika Pandey wins Commonwealth Short Story Prize for Asia Region:
- Indian writer, Kritika Pandey has been honoured with Commonwealth Short Story Prize 2020 for the Asia region for her story “The Great Indian Tee and Snakes”.
- The story is about a Hindu girl falling in love with a Muslim man and how these two young people are trying to navigate the idea of love in an era of hatred and prejudice.
- The Commonwealth Short Story Prize is awarded since 2012, for the best piece of unpublished short fiction.
World No Tobacco Day 2020 awards:
- World No Tobacco Day Award 2020 has announced. Every year, WHO recognizes individuals or organizations in each of the six WHO Regions for their accomplishments in the area of tobacco control.
- This recognition takes the form of WHO Director-General Special Recognition Award and World No Tobacco Day Awards.
J&K Lt Governor launches salary tracker mobile app “MeraVetan”:
- Jammu and Kashmir Lieutenant Governor, Girish Chandra Murmu has launched a salary tracker mobile app MeraVetan (Version-1) for government employees in order to provide Salary Related information to Employees.
- This application has been developed by the National Informatics Centre–J&K State Centre on the Android Platform to provide end to end computerization of JK Payment System (JKPaySys) application.
Government of India launches “Nagar Van” programme:
- Government of India has launched the “Nagar Van (Urban Forests)” programme with an objective of increasing the forest cover in urban areas.
- The programme has been launched with 200 corporations and cities across India and aims to develop 200 Urban Forests across India in next five years with the help of people’s participation and collaboration between Forest Department, Municipal bodies, NGOs, Corporates and local citizens.
Delhi Government launches mobile application “Delhi Corona”:
- Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal has launched a mobile application “Delhi Corona”.
- The mobile application will provide information to the people of Delhi about the availability of the beds and ventilators in government as well as private hospitals in Delhi.
- Hence, the mobile application “Delhi Corona” will enable people to check hospital-wise beds and ventilators available for COVID-19 patients.
“The Urban Learning Internship Program (TULIP)” launched by Government of India:
- Government of India has launched “The Urban Learning Internship Program (TULIP)” to provide internship opportunities to fresh graduates in all Urban Local Bodies (ULBs) as well as Smart Cities across the nation.
- The programme would also facilitate practical experience to the students of India and hence help in infusing fresh ideas and innovative thinking into the working of Urban Local Bodies and smart cities.
- This programme is an initiative of All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE), Ministry of HRD, and Ministry of Housing and Urban Development
GoI starts SWADES scheme for skill mapping of overseas citizens:
- The government of India has launched a new initiative ‘SWADES’(Skilled Workers Arrival Database for Employment Support) to conduct a skill mapping exercise of the Indian citizens returning from overseas under the ‘Vande Bharat Mission’.
- This initiative aims to make a database of qualified citizens supported their skillsets and knowledge to tap into and fulfil the demand of Indian and foreign companies.
MoHUA launches PM SVANidhi scheme:
- “PM SVANidhi” is a Special Micro-Credit Facility Scheme that has been launched by the Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs.
- Street vendors will be provided affordable loans under the PM Street Vendor’s Atma Nirbhar Nidhi (PM SVANidhi) scheme, hence enabling them to resume work and earn livelihoods.
- The scheme is expected to benefit over 50 lakh people including hawkers, thelewalas, vendors, rehriwala etc.
GoI launches KCC campaign for 1.5 crore Dairy Farmers:
- The Government of India has launched Kisan Credit Card (KCC) campaign for 1.5 crore Dairy Farmers.
- Under this campaign, GoI will provide Kisan Credit Card to 1.5 crore dairy farmers within the next two months i.e. from 1st June to 31st July 2020.
- KCC will be provided to those Dairy Farmers who belongs to the Milk Unions and Milk producing Companies.
Kerala becomes 1st state to provide free internet to poor:
- Kerala government has declared its ambitious broadband project “Kerala Fibre Optic Network (K-FON) project” for all the citizens below poverty line living in Kerala.
- They will get free high-speed Internet. Kerala will be the first state to provide free high-speed broadband to poor people.
- The estimated cost of project is Rs 1500 crore and it will kickstart from December 2020.
Chhattisgarh government starts “Spandan” campaign for police:
- Chhattisgarh Police have launched a special campaign “Spandan” to check mental stress and depression among their personnel by conducting interactive programmes and arranging counselling sessions, music and yoga therapies for them.
- The motive of the campaign is to prevent the force from depression and stress pushing them to take extreme steps.
“One Year of Modi 2.0” e-booklet released by I&B Ministry:
- Ministry of Information and Broadcasting (I&B) has released an e-booklet called ‘One Year of Modi 2.0 – Towards A Self-Reliant India’.
- The e-booklet highlights the achievements of the Modi government during its second term.
- This marks the first anniversary of the second term of the government.
NBA hall of famer Wes Unseld passes away:
- National Basketball Association (NBA) Hall of Famer Wes Unseld passed away. He was one of the greatest American professional basketball player.
- He led his franchise ‘Washington Wizards’ ( then Baltimore Bullets) to the NBA Championship in 1978.
- He played for Washington Wizards throughout his entire 13-season playing career and also worked for as a coach and general manager.
- He was inducted into the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame in 1988.
Legendary Filmmaker Basu Chatterjee passes away:
- Legendary Filmmaker & the National Film Award winner Basu Chatterjee passed away.
- He was known for his middle-of-the-road cinema and films like “Chhoti Si Baat” and “Rajnigandha”. He also directed two hit TV serials namely “Byomkesh Bakshi” and “Rajani”.
Renowned lyricist Anwar Sagar passes away:
- Veteran lyricist and member of Indian Performing Right Society Limited (IPRS), Anwar Sagar passed away.
- He was remembered for his hit track Waada Raha Sanam from 1992 Akshay Kumar-starrer Khiladi.
- Anwar Sagar also worked with music directors like Nadeem-Shravan, Rajesh Roshan, Jatin-Lalit and Anu Malik.