Current Affairs – Daily Current Affairs 2020
May 29 – International Day of UN Peacekeepers:
- International Day of UN Peacekeepers is observed globally on 29 May every year to honour all the women and men who have served as military, police or civilians in UN Peacekeeping operations.
- Theme – “Women in Peacekeeping: A Key to Peace”.
- It helps to mark the 20th anniversary of the adoption of UN Security Council Resolution 1325 on Women, Peace and Security.
May 29 – World Digestive Health Day:
- World Digestive Health Day is observed globally on 29th May every year and is organised by the World Gastroenterology Organisation (WGO) in collaboration with the WGO Foundation (WGOF).
- Theme – “Gut Microbiome: A Global Perspective.”
- World Digestive Health Day was launched in 2004 to mark the 45th anniversary of the creation of the World Gastroenterology Organisation.
May 28 – World Hunger Day:
- World Hunger Day is observed globally on 28 May every year to raise awareness about more than 820 million people living in chronic hunger worldwide.
- The initiative recognizes the dire need to save nearly a quarter of a billion lives from malnourishment and chronic hunger.
- The need to provide outreach globally during the pandemic for the distribution of food is seen as paramount to save those who have been vulnerable even in pre-pandemic times.
May 28 – International Day of Action for Women’s Health:
- International Day of Action for Women’s Health is observed globally on May 28 every year to promote the sexual and reproductive health and rights (SRHR) of all women all over the world.
- The day is being coordinated by the Women’s Global Network for Reproductive Rights (WGNRR).
- Every woman has a right to sexual and reproductive health and rights, no matter which part of the world she hails from, what age she is, or what her ethnicity or religion is.
India & ADB signs $177 mn loan to improve road in Maharashtra:
- The Asian Development Bank and the Government of India have signed a $177 million loan to upgrade the 450 km of state highways and major district roads in the state of Maharashtra.
- The road improvement project consists of improving 2 major district roads and 11 state highways having the combined length of 450 km.
- The project will also involve the strengthening of road safety measures with the development of a road safety audit framework that will led to the protection of vulnerable groups including the elderly, women, and children.
- It will also train the Maharashtra Public Works Department project staff to enhance their capacity in climate change adaptation and disaster resilient features in various aspects such as road design, road maintenance planning and road safety.
FDI In India Jumps 13% To Record $ 49.98 Bn In 2019-20:
- Foreign direct investment in India grew by 13% to a record of $ 49.97 billion in the 2019-20 FY.
- Foreign direct investment in India grew by 13% to a record of $ 49.97 billion in the 2019-20 financial year.
- Singapore emerged as the largest source of FDI.
Army Commanders’ Conference Commences In New Delhi:
- The Army Commanders’ Conference has commenced in New Delhi. It is an apex level biannual event that was earlier scheduled to be held in April 2020, but was postponed due to COVID-19 pandemic.
- In the first phase of Army Commanders’ Conference, the apex level leadership of Indian Army will deliberate on various aspects pertaining to operational and administrative issues including studies pertaining to logistics and human resources.
Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman chairs 22nd Meeting of FSDC:
- The 22nd Meeting of the Financial Stability and Development Council (FSDC) was chaired by the Union Minister for Finance & Corporate Affairs Nirmala Sitharaman in New Delhi.
- During the meeting, present global and domestic macro-economic situation was reviewed including the financial stability and vulnerabilities issues.
- They also reviewed major issues that are likely to be faced by banks as well as other financial institutions.
Apple Buys Machine Learning Specialist Inductiv To Bolster Siri, AI Projects:
- Adding to a mounting number of AI-related acquisitions, Apple recently purchased Ontario-based Inductiv to work on Siri and machine learning initiatives.
- Inductiv developed a system that relies on AI to automatically identify and correct errors in data.
Leo Puri to become Chairman of JP Morgan South Asia and South East Asia:
- Leo Puri has been announced to become the new Chairman of JP Morgan South Asia and South East Asia, replacing Kalpana Morparia who will be serving as the chairman until the 1st Quarter of 2021.
- In another major top-level change, Murali Maiya will become the new Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of JP Morgan South and South East Asia.
Aiman Ezzat becomes new CEO of Capgemini Group:
- Aiman Ezzat has become the new Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of French technology major Capgemini Group and will replace the presently serving Paul Hermelin who will continue to serve as the Chairman of the Board.
- Aiman Ezzat was earlier serving as the Chief Operating Officer of the Capgemini Group and has also served as the Chief Financial Officer of the company in the past.
Wipro appoints Thierry Delaporte as its new CEO & MD:
- Thierry Delaporte has been appointed by the IT major Wipro as its new Chief Executive Officer (CEO) and Managing Director (MD).
- He will replace Abidali Neemuchwala as the new CEO and MD of Wipro. He has served as the Chief Operating Officer of Capgemini Group and a member of its Group Executive Board.
IOC appoints Narinder Batra as member of Olympic Channel Commission:
- Indian Olympic Association (IOA) president Narinder Batra has been designated as a member from the Olympic Channel Commission.
- The Olympic Channel Commission exhorts the IOC (International Olympic Committee) meeting, the IOC Executive Board, the IOC President and provides guidance throughout the launch and operation of the Olympic Channel.
- The commission advise the growth & development of the Olympic Channel from its initial launch phase through to its mature and established form.
R Sreerekha to become Kerala’s first woman DGP:
- R Sreerekha will be the first woman Director General of Police in Kerala as the Kerala government has appointed her as Fire and Rescue Services DGP.
- She is presently an Additional Director General of Police, heading the Prisons and Correctional Services Department.
Quarraisha Abdool Karim wins Christophe Merieux Prize:
- South African HIV researcher, Quarraisha Abdool Karim has been awarded Christophe Merieux Prize for the AIDS Programme of Research in South Africa (CAPRISA), which she heads.
- Christophe Merieux Prize is one of France’s top science prizes.
CIPET renamed as Central Institute of Petrochemicals Engineering & Technology:
- The name of Central Institute of Plastics Engineering & Technology (CIPET) has been changed to Central Institute of Petrochemicals Engineering & Technology (CIPET).
- It is a premier national institution which comes under the Ministry of Chemicals and Fertilizers, Government of India.
- The new name of the institute has been registered under the Tamil Nadu Societies Registration Act 1975 ( Tamil Nadu Act 27 of 1975).
Finance Minister launches facility of Instant Allotment of PAN:
- The facility for instant allotment of Permanent Account Number (PAN) has been formally rolled out by the Union Minister for Finance & Corporate Affairs Nirmala Sitharaman on near to real time basis.
- The PAN applicants who has a valid Aadhaar number and have a mobile number registered with Aadhaar will be able to avail the facility.
- Launching this facility will create further ease of compliance to the taxpayers.
Andhra Pradesh Government Launches Web Portal For Educational Institutes To Upload Details:
- Andhra Pradesh has launched a web portal on schools and colleges will have to upload details regarding their infrastructure and other facilities.
- Student’s parents may visit the institutes and complain if the facilities provided do not match the information provided.
- Decided during the ‘Our Governance, Your Suggestion’
Himachal Pradesh To Launch Portal For Registration Of Returnees Who Lost Jobs:
- The cabinet headed by Chief Minister Jai Ram Thakur launched of a portal for registration of people who returned to the state due to job-loss and are either in need of employment or upgrade of skills and decided to formulate a scheme for working capital requirements.
Uttar Pradesh Government To Develop 800 Km Roads As Herbal Roads:
- Uttar Pradesh government will develop 800 km roads as Herbal roads in the state. These herbal roads will have medicinal and herbal trees on both sides.
- Deputy Chief Minister and state PWD minister of state Keshav Prasad Maurya stated that these herbal roads will have trees like like Peepal, Neem, Sehjan along with other herb varieties like brahmi, ashvagandha and jatrofa.
Sri Lanka Suspends Fast Bowler Shehan Madushanka:
- Sri Lanka fast bowler Shehan Madushanka has been suspended from all forms of cricket with immediate effect after he was arrested for alleged possession of illegal drugs (heroin).
36th National Games postponed indefinitely due to COVID-19:
- The 36th National Games, planned for October-November in Goa, was deferred indefinitely due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Committee to convey a social event in September end and decide on fixing dates for National Games.
- Goa Government to require guidance from Union Sports Ministry, need four months notification ahead of time to compose games.
- The last edition of the Games was held in 2015 in Kerala.
First Chief Minister of Chhattisgarh Ajit Jogi passes away:
- The first Chief Minister of Chhattisgarh, Ajit Jogi has passed away.
- A bureaucrat-turned politician, Ajit Jogi was a mass leader who dominated the state’s politics for long time.
- He was an MLA from Marwahi seat in the current assembly. He served as the first Chief Minister of Chhattisgarh from November 2000 to November 2003.
May 29 – International Everest Day:
- International Everest Day is being observed on 29th May. Nepalese Tenzing Norgay and New Zealand’s Edmund Hillary had climbed the Mt. Everest on this day (29th May) in 1953, as the first humans to achieve the feat.
- Nepal decided to observe the day as International Everest Day since 2008 when the legendary climber Hillary passed away.
India’s GDP growth slows to 11-year low of 4.2%:
- National Statistical Office, under Ministry of Statistics and Programme Implementation, has estimated India’s gross domestic product (GDP) grew by 4.2 per cent in 2019-20 as compared to 6.1 per cent expansion in 2018-19, the slowest growth in GDP in 11 years.
- The earlier estimate by various arms of the government was 5 per cent growth in ‘19-20.
RBI Stops Selling 7.75% Govt Savings Bonds:
- Reserve Bank India stopped selling the 75% (Taxable) government savings bond, the most sought-after investment by retail investors in recent times.
- With this, options have come down for retail investors, looking for high guaranteed-return products.
- These bonds had a seven-year lock-in period.
RBI Slaps Penalty On Bank Of India, Karnataka Bank & Saraswat Bank:
- RBI imposed the penalty of 5 cr on Bank of India, Rs. 30 lakh on Saraswat Co-operative Bank Ltd and Rs. 1.20 cr on Karnataka Bank.
- The RBI has imposed the penalty on the ground of non-compliance with certain provisions of the directions issued by RBI.
NABARD Sanctions Rs 1,050 Crore Credit Support To West Bengal:
- National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (NABARD) has sanctioned credit of Rs 1,050 crore in the current fiscal so far to West Bengal for benefit of farmers and poor people in rural areas.
- The credit support under Special Liquidity Facility (SLF) will be extended to state cooperative banks, regional rural banks and micro-finance institutions (MFIs).
Missile park “Agneeprastha” to be set up at INS Kalinga:
- The foundation stone for a missile park “Agneeprastha” was laid at INS Kalinga, Naval base in Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh.
- The park ”Agneeprastha”once completed will be dedicated to all the officers, sailors and support staff of INS Kalinga, who has served in this premier op-support Base of the ENC since its establishment in 1981.
- A 2-megawatt solar photovoltaic plant was also commissioned at INS Kalinga by Vice Admiral Atul Kumar Jain. It is the largest plant in the Eastern Naval Command and has an estimated life of 25 years.
Russia hosts BRICS Heads of Tax Authorities meet:
- The meeting of the Heads of Tax Authorities of the BRICS countries, namely Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa was held on 29 May.
- The meeting was hosted by the Federal Tax Service of Russia, which currently holds the BRICS Presidency, to discuss the response of BRICS Tax Authorities to the COVID-19 pandemic and to explore potential areas of cooperation in tax matters.
Nirmala Sitharaman Chairs 22nd Meeting Of The Financial Stability And Development Council (FSDC):
- The meeting also reviewed the current global and domestic macro-economic situation, financial stability and vulnerabilities issues, issues likely to be faced by banks and other financial institutions like Liquidity/Solvency of Non-Banking Financial Companies (NBFCs)/housing finance companies (HFCs) / Micro finance Institutions (MFIs) and other related issues.
Infosys Partners Up With Avaloq For Digital Wealth Management Services:
- Infosys announced a strategic partnership with Zurich-based software company Avaloq to provide end-to-end (e2e) wealth management capabilities through digital platforms.
- The partnership is meant to offer e2e products and services as Software-as-a-Service (SaaS), private cloud or public cloud across the globe to its clients.
Venkataramani Sumantran becomes new independent director of Indigo:
- Venkataramani Sumantran has been appointed the independent director of airline company IndiGo.
- He presently served as the chairman and managing director of Chennai-based Celeris Technologies.
- He will hold the post for the next five years.
TCS Wins Two Stevie Awards For 2019 TCS New York City Marathon App:
- Tata Consultancy Services, a leading global IT service, consulting and business solutions organization, has won two Steviesin the 2020 American Business Awards, the nation’s premier business awards program, for the 2019 TCS New York City Marathon app.
Uttarakhand govt starts “Mukhyamantri Swarozgar Yojana” for returnee migrants:
- Uttarakhand chief minister, Trivendra Singh Rawat has inaugurated the “Mukhyamantri Swarozgar Yojana” for returnee migrants.
- The project aims at giving self-employment opportunities to youth and a boost to reverse migration, especially entrepreneurs returning to Uttarakhand and encourage skilled and unskilled artisans, handicrafts and unemployed youths to start their own business.
- The scheme will offer credit facility through nationalised banks, scheduled commercial banks and cooperative banks.
MP govt starts ‘Rozgar Setu’ scheme for skilled workers:
- Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister, Shivraj Singh Chouhan has announced the launch of the ‘Rozgar Setu’ scheme.
- This scheme would help to secure employment for skilled workers who have returned to the state in the COVID-19 situation.
- The government of Madhya Pradesh launched a portal ‘MP Rojgar Setu Portal’ for the unemployed migrants to register and find jobs in the field related to their skills.
State Health Register To Be Launched By Karnataka Government:
- Karnataka State Government announced that it will launch a “State Health Register” to collect data of all its citizens. The register is first of its kind in the country.
Kargil’s First Solar Lift Irrigation Plant Inaugurated In Ladakh:
- In Ladakh, Director of Animal, Sheep Husbandry and Fisheries Dr Mohammad Raza inaugurated the first Solar Lift Irrigation Plant of Kargil with five KW Solar Plant and three HP Submersible Pump (Kargil Renewable Energy Agency-KREDA ) at Yak Breeding Farm, Bodh Kharboo keeping in view the protocols of social distancing and Standard Operating Prcedures.
SAI’s extends Sandip Pradhan tenure as DG for 2 year:
- The Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports has extended the tenure of Sandip Pradhan as Director General of the Sports Authority of India (SAI) by two years.
- The extended tenure will come into effect from 6 June 2020.
- The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet has approved the proposal of Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports for extension.
WADA hands 4 year bans to Kiranjeet Kaur for doping:
- India’s long-distance runner, Kiranjeet Kaur has been handed a four-year ban by World Athletics’ anti-doping body for testing positive for a banned substance (Enobosarm).
- She will be stripped of the gold medal she won at the Tata Steel Kolkata 25K.
- Her ban period begins from December 15 (2019), the date of in-competition sample collection.
- She was provisionally suspended by World Athletics on February 26.
Rajya Sabha member M.P. Veerendra Kumar passes away:
- Rajya Sabha (RS) MP from Kerala and Loktantrik Janata Dal (LJD) Leader, writer and journalist, M.P. Veerendra Kumar passed away.
- He was born on July 22, 1936, at Kalpetta, Wayanad district, Kerala. He was a recipient of the Sahitya Academy award.
Veteran lyricist Yogesh Gaur passes away:
- Veteran lyricist Yogesh Gaur passed away. He wrote the lyrics of hit songs “Kahin duur jab din dhal jaye” and “Zindagi kaisi hai paheli” that defined the superhit film Anand (1971).
- He got his first break as a lyricist with the film Sakhi Robin (1962), in which he wrote six songs.
- He also wrote songs for films like Chhoti Si Baat (1976), Baton Baton Mein (1979), Manzil (1979), Rajnigandha (1974) and many more.
Renowned astrologer Bejan Daruwalla passes away:
- Renowned astrologer, Bejan Daruwalla passed away. His name figured among the 100 great astrologers of the last 1,000 years in ‘The Millennium Book of Prophecy’, published by Harper Collins.
- His astrological predictions were keenly followed by millions of people in the country.