Current Affairs – Daily Current Affairs 2020
May 25 – International Missing Children’s Day:
- International Missing Children’s Day is observed globally on 25th May every year.
- This day is observed for missing children who have found their way home, remember those that are victims of crime, and continue efforts to seek out those that are still missing.
- 25 May is now widely referred to as Missing Children’s Day, with the forget-me-not flower as its emblem.
May 25 – World Thyroid Day:
- World Thyroid Day is observed globally on 25 May every year.
- The main purpose of the WTD is to aware of the importance of Thyroid and the prevention and treatment of thyroid diseases.
- This day is established in 2008 as a part of the campaign led by European Thyroid Association (ETA) and the American Thyroid Association(ATA) followed by Latin American Thyroid Society(LATS) and Asia Oceania Thyroid Association (AOTA) to commemorate the patients with Thyroid diseases and doctors and physicians who treat them.
Canara Bank Releases Emergency Credit Facilities For MSMEs:
- Canara Bank has announced ‘CANARA CREDIT SUPPORT’ for all of their borrowers who have been affected by COVID-19.
- The bank has sanctioned nearly 6 lakh loans amounting to Rs 4,300 crore under agriculture, SHGs and Retail categories.
Indian Navy formed “NavRakshak” breathable PPE kit:
- Indian Navy has formed “NavRakshak” PPE kit with innovative breathable fabric material.
- This PPE kit provides comfort to healthcare workers working against COVID-19 pandemic wearing multi-layered coverall PPE treating patients within the hot and humid condition for quite 12 hours.
US Navy Successfully Tests A Laser Weapon That Can Destroy Aircraft Mid-Flight:
- United States Navy warship has successfully tested a new high-energy laser weapon that can destroy aircraft mid-flight.
- According to the Navy, lasers, can be called directed energy weapons, can be effective defences against drones or armed small boats.
“Zaggle” partners “Visa” for innovative payment solutions for SMEs:
- In order to launch innovative payment solutions for small and medium enterprises (SMEs) and startups, a Fintech startup Zaggle has partnered with payments technology major “Visa”.
- Both the companies will work towards enhancing the productivity and efficiency of the SMEs and startups.
- They will also automate the processes and reduce the costs simultaneously focusing on easy and faster credit. The faster credit would be made available through a unique card which will have forex, prepaid along with credit.
REC Limited & TajSATS to provide meals to frontline healthcare workers:
- REC Limited has partnered with TajSATS, a joint venture of IHCL and SATS Ltd, to provide nutritious meals to frontline healthcare workers.
- Both entities are leading the mission to provide meals to the medical staff in key government hospitals along with poor daily wage labourers across the nation.
- Over 18,000 meals are planned to be delivered in New Delhi through this initiative.
WHO & IOC team up to improve health through sport:
- The World Health Organization (WHO) and the International Olympic Committee (IOC) has signed an agreement to work together to promote health through sport and physical activity.
- They have teamed up to fight the battle against Covid-19.
Raksha Mantri Rajnath Singh chairs SIDM MSMEs E-conclave:
- Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSMEs) E-conclave was chaired by the Raksha Mantri Rajnath Singh.
- The virtual conference of MSMEs E-conclave was organised jointly by the Department of Defence Production, Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) and Society of Indian Defence Manufacturers (SIDM).
India handsover war game centre named as “INDIA” to UPDF:
- India has handover the war game centre named as “INDIA” to Uganda Peoples Defence Forces (UPDF).
- The state of the art military training facility was handover by the Indian Association Uganda (IAU), in association with the Indian Military Advisory and Training Team to the UPDF. Gen. Yoweri Kaguta Museveni, President of the Republic of Uganda inaugurated the war game centre “INDIA” that was conceptualised by the Indian Military Team and built by the IAU in Jinja district, at a cost of over 1 billion Ugandan shillings or $2,65,000.
- The Ugandans of Indian origin made voluntary contributions for the establishment of war game centre.
Former SC judge, A K Sikri inaugurates IDRC:
- Former Supreme Court judge Justice, A K Sikri has inaugurated the Indian Dispute Resolution Centre (IDRC) in New Delhi.
- The centre provides a completely paperless dispute resolution environment. The centre offers offline also as e-alternate dispute resolution (ADR) facility through its state-of-the-art e-arbitration, e-meditation and e-conciliation software portal.
GoI launches initiatives towards Conservation of Biodiversity:
- During the virtual celebration of the International Day for Biological Diversity 2020, the Government of India launched key initiatives towards Conservation of Biodiversity.
Manipur’s “Khudol” listed among the top 10 global initiatives:
- Manipur’s “Khudol” has been listed among the top 10 global initiatives for an inclusive fight against the COVID-19 pandemic.
- The listing of the initiative among the top 10 global initiatives was done by the United Nations Secretary-General’s Envoy on Youth. “Khudol” initiative was launched by an Imphal-based NGO “Ya_All”.
Uttarakhand Releases Report On Conservation Of Endemic, Threatened Floras:
- Uttarakhand is the first state to release a report highlighting its conservation efforts to save over 1,100 rare plants from extinction.
- Around 1,145 species are conserved of which 46 species are endemic & 68 species are rare, endangered or threatened. Around 386 species, conserved, have medicinal properties.
Tamil Nadu Begins Work On Implementing Solar Fence Farmland Protection Programme:
- Tamil Nadu government has started preliminary works for implementing the unique Solar Fence Farmland Protection Programme, under the Central Agriculture Improvement Scheme.
India And Israel Join Forces To Develop Rapid Testing System To Fight Coronavirus:
- India and Israel will put in joint research and development efforts for rapid testing of coronavirus to enable normalisation of life amid the pandemic.
- The two sides discussed joint R&D for rapid diagnosis based on big data and artificial intelligence.
Current Affairs – Daily Current Affairs 2020
American tennis star Jamie Hampton announces retirement:
- American tennis player Jamie Hampton has proclaimed that she is taking retirement from the professional tennis.
- Former World Top 25 player played her last official match 6 yrs ago when she was ranked 24th in the world.
- The right hander player then suffered numerous injuries and was unable to play against Venus Williams in the semi finals of ASB Classic in Auckland in 2014.
Japanese Pro wrestler Hana Kimura passes away:
- Japanese professional wrestler, Hana Kimura passed away.
- She won her first title at the Japan Pro-Wrestling (JWP) Junior plate in 2016 and joined Stardom in 2019.
- According to the report, she became a target of online bullying over her role on the “Terrace House” show on Netflix.
Bollywood actor Mohit Baghel passes away:
- Bollywood actor Mohit Baghel passed away due to cancer.
- He starts his career with the comedy show “Chote Miyaan”.
- He was best known for playing Amar Chaudhary in superstar Salman Khan’s “Ready”.
Former Inter coach Gigi Simoni passes away:
- Former Inter Milan coach, Gigi Simoni, who led a Ronaldo-inspired team to UEFA (Union of European Football Associations) Cup glory in 1998, passed away.
- He was an Italian football official, player & manager. He was awarded the Panchina d’Oro as the best Italian coach.
Egyptian Acclaimed Sculptor Adam Henein Passes Away At 91:
- Acclaimed Egyptian artist Adam Henein, who joined ancient pharaonic themes with sleek modernism in sculptures that often portrayed birds and other animals, died. He was 91.
NGMA commemorates 115th Birth Anniversary of Ramkinkar Baij:
- The National Gallery of Modern Art (NGMA) organised a virtual tour to commemorate the 115th Birth Anniversary of iconic artist Ramkinkar Baij.
- The virtual tour was titled as “Ramkinkar Baij | Journey through silent transformation and expressions” and was conducted in five different themes namely:Portrait, Life Study, Abstract & Structural Composition, Nature Study & Landscape, Sculptures.
- Ramkinkar Baij was the one of the most seminal artists of modern India. He was honoured with the Padma Bhushan Award by the Government of India in 1970, for his irrefutable contribution to Indian art.
LIC launches “PM Vaya Vandana Yojana” for senior citizens:
- Life Insurance Corporation of India (LIC) has announced the launch of modified Pradhan Mantri Vaya Vandana Yojana, a social security scheme for senior citizens.
- This plan starts from May 26 for three financial years up to March 31, 2023. The policy term is of 10 years and for policies sold during the first financial year up to March 31, 2021, the scheme will provide an assured rate of return of 7.40 per cent once a year payable monthly (which is like 7.66 per cent per annum) for the whole duration of 10 years.
Army Commanders’ Conference commences in New Delhi:
- The Army Commanders’ Conference has commenced in New Delhi. It is an apex level biannual event that was earlier scheduled to be held in April 2020, but was postponed due to COVID-19 pandemic.
- In the first phase of Army Commanders’ Conference, the apex level leadership of Indian Army will deliberate on various aspects pertaining to operational and administrative issues including studies pertaining to logistics and human resources.
Airtel Payments Bank & Mastercard Team Up To Provide Financial Solutions For Farmers, SMEs:
- Airtel Payments Bank (APBL) has partnered with Mastercard to develop customized products catering to customers across the under banked spectrum including farmers, small and medium enterprises and retail customers.
Maruti Suzuki Partners ICICI Bank To Offer Customized EMI Financing Schemes To Customers:
- Maruti Suzuki India joined hands with ICICI Bank to offer retail financing schemes to its customers.
- Accordingly, the bank is offering Flexi EMI scheme which enables customers to pay low EMI initially, in order to help with the ongoing liquidity stress.
- EMI starts from Rs. 899 on loan of Rs 1 lakh for first 3 months.
‘Hunar Haat’ to restart from Sept 2020 with theme “Local to Global”:
- Flagship programme of Ministry of Minority Affairs ‘Hunar Haat’ will restart with the theme of “Local to Global” from September 2020.
- It is a platform for artisans and craftsmen from various parts of the country to showcase their art and craft and provides employment and employment opportunities to more than five lakh Indian artisans, craftsmen, culinary experts and other people associated with them in the last five years.
PFC partners with NBPCL to fund various projects in Madhya Pradesh:
- Power Finance Corporation (PFC), the central PSU under Ministry of Power has signed an MoU with Narmada Basin Projects Company Ltd. (NBPCL), a wholly-owned company of Govt. of Madhya Pradesh, to fund various power projects to be executed in the State of Madhya Pradesh.
- The projects will include the setting up of hydroelectric projects of 225 MW along with power components of 12 other major multipurpose projects to be executed in Madhya Pradesh.
Facebook launches calling application “CatchUp”:
- A calling application named as “CatchUp” has been launched by the social media major Facebook to coordinate call timings with friends and family members, and will enable users to check availability of time with a group of up to eight people.
- With the help of calling application “CatchUp”, the user will be able to indicate the availability to talk and call other users, and will enable other users to do the same and chose a common time for the call.
- The users will be able to avail the services of this calling application with their existing Facebook account.
NASA renamed its telescope after ‘Mother of Hubble’ Nancy Grace Roman:
- The National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) has renamed its next-generation space telescope “Wide-Field Infrared Survey Telescope (WFIRST)” in honour of Nancy Grace Roman.
- Nancy Grace Roman is the US space agency’s first chief astronomer, who paved the way for space telescopes focused on the broader universe.
- The newly named Nancy Grace Roman Space Telescope will help in research of long-standing astronomical mysteries, like the force behind the universe’s expansion and look for distant planets beyond our system.
PK Nair becomes new Indian Ambassador to Niger:
- Government of India has announced the appointment of Prem K Nair as Indian Ambassador to the Republic of Niger.
- He will replace Rajesh Agarwal.
Periasamy Kumaran Takes Over As The High Commissioner Of India To Singapore:
- Periasamy Kumaran has been appointed as the next High Commissioner of India to The Republic Of Singapore.
- P Kumaran will replace the current High Commissioner of India to Singapore, Jawed Ashraf, who took over more than three years ago in November 2016. Ashraf is to take over as the High Commissioner of India to France.
Rajiv Joshi wins NYIPLA Inventor of the year Award 2020:
- Rajiv Joshi has bagged the prestigious NYIPLA “Inventor of the Year award” for the year 2020 for his contribution to advancing the electronic industry and improving artificial intelligence (AI) capabilities.
- This award is presented by the New York Intellectual Property Law Association (NYIPLA). He works at the IBM Thomson Watson Research Center in New York.
Major Suman Gawani to be honoured with UN Military Gender Advocate Award:
- Indian Army officer Major Suman Gawani is going to be awarded the UN Military Gender Advocate of the Year 2019. She was stationed in South Sudan under the United Nations Mission. Recently she has completed her mission.
- The award is going to be presented to Major Suman Gawani and Brazilian military officer Commander Carla Monteiro de Castro Araujo during a web ceremony chaired by UN Secretary-General Guterres on May 29, the International Day of the United Nations Peacekeepers.
Webinar on “Van Dhan Scheme: Learnings for post COVID-19”:
- The Department of Science and Technology, Government of Rajasthan has organized a webinar on “Van Dhan Scheme: Learnings for post COVID-19” in assciation with TRIFED, under the Know Your Scheme-Lecture Series.
- TRIFED has partnered with UNICEF to initiate “Van Dhan Samajik Doori Jagrookta Abhiyaan” under which tribals will be provided with relevant information regarding COVID-19 along with several guidelines, nationwide and state-specific webinars and instructions on safety measures to be followed.
440 metre-long Tunnel under Chardham Pariyojana in Chamba inaugurated:
- Union Minister for Road Transport, Nitin Gadkari has inaugurated the 440 metre-long tunnel as part of the Chardham Connectivity Project in Chamba.
- It will significantly reduce the time taken by travellers on the Rishikesh-Dharasu and Gangotri stretch of the Chardham Highway (NH 94).
- The tunnel has been developed by the Border Roads Organisation (BRO).
Current Affairs – Daily Current Affairs 2020
Rehabilitation package for Amphan hit West Bengal & Odisha:
- Rehabilitation package for the “Cyclone Amphan” hit West Bengal & Odisha was announced by the Government of India.
- As part of rehabilitation package, the financial assistance of Rs 1,000 crore for cyclone hit West Bengal, and Rs 500 crore for Odisha was announced for immediate relief activities in the two states.
- Along with financial assistance, an ex-gratia of Rs 2 lakh for the next of kin of the dead, and Rs 50,000 for the injured was also announced.
India Becomes World’s Second-Largest Manufacturer Of PPE Body Coveralls In Two Months:
- India has become the world’s second largest manufacturer of personal protective equipment (PPE) body coveralls within a short time span of two months.
- China is the world’s leading producer of PPE body coveralls, crucial to safeguard against the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.
JK Rowling Unveils ‘The Ickabog’, A New Book For Children:
- JK Rowling announced a brand new children’s book, which she is publishing in daily instalments on her website for free.
- The Ickabog is her 1st children’s story not to be linked to Harry Potter. Chapters of The Ickabog are being published daily until 10 July.
Classical musician Shyamala Bhave passes away:
- Classical musician Shyamala G. Bhave who was having an equal command over Hindustani as well as Carnatic music, passed away.
- She had also composed music in India’s first Sanskrit serial titled “Kadambari”.
- The renowned vocalist was honoured with title of “Ubhaya Gaana Vidushi (expert in both styles)” and also composed music for some films, including the first Sanskrit film “Adi Shankaracharya”.
Sri Lankan Minister Arumugan Thondaman Passes Away:
- Ceylon Workers’ Congress [CWC] leader and Sri Lanka Cabinet Minister Arumugam Thondaman passed away at 55.
- Arumugam Thondaman served in President Gotabaya Rajapaksa’s government as Minister of Community Empowerment and Estate Infrastructure Development.
May 28 – International Women’s Health Day:
- International Day of Action for Women’s Health (or International Women’s Health Day) has been observed every year on May 28 since 1987.
- The main agenda is to promote the sexual and reproductive health and rights (SRHR) of all women all over the world.
May 28 – World Menstrual Hygiene Day:
- World Menstrual Hygiene Day is observed on May 28. The main idea behind marking this day is to change the social stigma associated with menstruation.
- This day was initiated by the German non-profit WASH United in 2013 and was first celebrated in 2014.
- Theme – ‘Periods in Pandemic’.
RIL rolls out WhatsApp chatbot to address rights issue queries:
- Reliance Industries Ltd (RIL) has launched a “WhatsApp chatbot” to address rights issue queries of its 2.6 million shareholders on the offering.
- With a task of executing massive Rs 53,125 crore rights issue amid a nationwide lockdown, RIL has turned to WhatsApp Chatbot which has been developed by Jio Haptik Technologies.
SEBI imposes penalty of Rs 7 lakh on NHAI:
- The National Highways Authority of India (NHAI) has been penalised with amount of Rs 7 lakh by the Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI).
- SEBI has imposed the penalty on NHAI for delay in disclosing half yearly financial results between FY16 and FY19.
- The penalty has been imposed on the basis of SEBI’s listing obligation and disclosure norms (LODR) according to which half yearly results have to be filed within 45 days from the end of the half year.
Fitch forecasts India’s GDP growth rate to contract 5% in FY21:
- Amid Novel Coronavirus pandemic, rating agency Fitch Ratings has released its its latest Global Economic Outlook (GEO).
- In its Global Economic Outlook, the rating agency has forecasted the GDP growth rate of the world and individual countries.
S&P forecasts Indian economy to contract 5% in FY21:
- S&P Global Ratings has slashed India’s GDP growth rate to 5% in the Fiscal Year 2021.
- The reduction in the growth rates has been made due to slump in the economic activities in the whole country amid lockdown imposed to contain Covid-19 pandemic.
IAF inducts Tejas Mk-1 FOC aircraft in Squadron “Flying Bullets”:
- Tejas Mk-1 FOC aircraft has been inducted by the Indian Air Force (IAF) into the recently resurrected No 18 Squadron the “Flying Bullets” at Air Force Station Sulur.
- Tejas Mk-1 FOC is a single engine, light weight, highly agile and all weather multi role fighter aircraft. The aircraft is capable of air-to-air refueling and hence makes the Squadron the first in the IAF to induct this platform.
Tamil Nadu Signs MoUs Worth Over Rs 15,000 Crore To Generate 47,000 Jobs:
- Tamil Nadu signed 17 memorandums of understanding (MoUs) worth Rs 15,128 crore to generate 47,150 jobs in the state.
- Daimler India, Salcomp and other companies would invest over Rs 15000 crore. The Government also signed MoUs for renewable energy projects.
Flipkart signs MoU with Karnataka Mango Board to support mango farmers:
- India’s leading web-based business commercial centre Flipkart has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Karnataka State Mango Department and Marketing Corporation, to empower mango farmers to sell their produce online.
- This association will give farmers the genuinely necessary market access to shoppers, making a potential income stream during these testing times of coronavirus.
Facebook Launches New App Called ‘CatchUp’ To Facilitate Group Phone Chats:
- Facebook has come up with another calling application called “Catch-Up”. The idea behind the new app is to coordinate call timings with friends and family members.
- The new app is developed by the company’s New Product Experimentation team.
IIT Madras creates light-weight alloy to replace steel, aluminium in cars:
- Indian Institute of Technology Madras (IITM), partnered with the University of North Texas and United States Army lab, have developed a magnesium alloy to replace the steel and aluminium in the automobile industry to reduce the carbon footprint and increase fuel efficiency.
Vishwas Mehta To Take Over As Chief Secretary Of Kerala:
- Senior IAS officer Vishwas Mehta has been appointed as the new chief secretary of Kerala. Dr Mehta, who’s now Additional Chief Secretary (Home), will assume office on June 1.
- The incumbent chief secretary Tom Jose is set to retire on May 31.
Marcos Troyjo elected as next President of NDB:
- Marcos Troyjo has been elected as next President of New Development Bank (NDB). He was unanimously elected during the Special Board of Governors meeting of the NDB which was held through the video-conference.
- He will be taking charge as the President of NDB from July 7, 2020. India was represented by the Union Minister of Finance & Corporate Affairs Nirmala Sitharaman in the video-conference.
- Anil Kishora from India has been elected as next Vice President and CRO of the NDB.
SN Rajeswari becomes new CMD of Oriental Insurance Company:
- New India Assurance, General Manager, SN Rajeswari, has been selected as the Chairman and MD of the Oriental Insurance Company (OIC) by Banks Board Bureau (BBB).
- She will replace AV Girija Kumar, who retiring this month end after reaching 60.
- BBB had conducted virtual interviews of five senior general managers of the public sector general insurance industry, with two years of residual services untill May 2022,to select a CMD of OIC.
NPCI rolls out AI virtual Artificial Intelligence assistant Pai:
- An Artificial Intelligence (AI) based chatbot “PAi” has been launched by the National Payment Corporation of India (NPCI).
- This chatbot has been rolled out to create awareness around NPCI’s products such as FASTag, RuPay, UPI, AePS on a real time basis, hence improving the digital financial inclusion in India.
- The chatbot “PAi” has been developed by Bengaluru based startup CoRover Private Limited.
Karnataka Governmentt To Launch A Project To Maintain Health Database Of All Citizens:
- Karnataka governmentt to soon launch project to maintain the health database of all its citizens undertaking a survey of all 5 Crore people.
- A first of its kind initiative State Health Register will be robust and standardized health repository of all citizens.
Switzerland Launched The World’s First App Based On Google And Apple’s Contact-Tracing Tech:
- Switzerland is the first country to launch a contact-tracing app “SwissCovid” using the specialized contact-tracing tech released by Google and Apple.
- Google and Apple released their “exposure notification” API earlier this month, and said 22 health authorities around the world have asked permission to use it.
TNPSC, UPSC, SSC, RRB, Government exams, Bank exams Current Affairs. Free daily current affairs & get Monthly Current Affairs notes
Sri Lanka’s Shehan Madushanka suspended after heroin arrest:
- Sri Lankan fast bowler, Shehan Madushanka has been suspended from all forms of cricket with immediate effect for alleged possession of heroin.
- The decision to suspend will stand until the board conducts a full inquiry of the matter.
JK Rowling to release her latest book “The Ickabog”:
- The “Harry Potter” author, JK Rowling will release her latest book, “The Ickabog”, online for free, for the children during this lockdown period.
- The Ickabog’ is a story about truth and the abuse of power.
Padma Shri awardee, Urdu Writer Mujtaba Hussain passes away:
- Noted Urdu author, humorist and satirist Mujtaba Hussain passed away. He was born on July 15, 1936, in Hyderabad, Telangana. Hussain was described as the Mark Twain of Urdu.
- He began his literary career from “Siasat”, a leading Urdu daily published from Hyderabad.
Former Tamil Nadu footballer Shanmugam passes away:
- Former Tamil Nadu footballer and coach R. Shanmugam passed away.
- Shanmugam, who was born in Burma in 1943, represented the Burmese junior and senior national teams in 1966-67.