Current Affairs – Daily Current Affairs 2020
May 23 – World Turtle Day:
- World Turtle Day is being celebrated every year on 23 May every year by American Tortoise Rescue, a nonprofit organization.
- The day was created as an annual observance to help people celebrate and protect turtles and tortoises as well as their disappearing habitats around the world.
May 23 – International Day to End Obstetric Fistula:
- The United Nations observes International Day to End Obstetric Fistula on 23 May every year.
- The day is being observed to significantly raise awareness and intensify actions towards ending obstetric fistula, as well as urging post-surgery follow-up and tracking of fistula patients.
- Theme – “End gender inequality! End health inequities! End Fistula now!”
RBI’s 7th Bi-Monthly Monetary Policy Statement For 2019-20; RBI Cuts Repo Rate By 40 Bps To 4 Per Cent:
- RBI cut the repo rate by 40 basis points from 4.4 per cent to 4 per cent, reducing the reverse repo rate at 35 per cent to maintain accommodative stance. The six-member Monetary Policy Committee voted 5:1 in favour of 40 bps cut in interest rate.
- Reduce the policy repo rate under the liquidity adjustment facility (LAF) by 40 bps to 4.0 per cent from 4.40 per cent with immediate effect.
- Marginal standing facility (MSF) rate and the Bank Rate stand reduced to 4.25 per cent from 4.65 per cent
- RBI to extend 15,000 crore rupee line of credit to EXIM Bank.
- Policy Repo Rate – 00%
- Reverse Repo Rate – 35%
- Marginal Standing Facility Rate – 25%
- Bank Rate – 25%
- CRR – 3%
- SLR – 00%
HDFC Bank Launches Special FD Scheme For Senior Citizens:
- Private sector lender, HDFC Bank launched an FD scheme for seniors called ‘Senior Citizen Care FD’. According to this scheme, the bank is offering an additional 75 basis points for deposits with more than 5-year tenors with investments up to Rs 5 crore.
Rajnath Singh Participates In MSMEs E-Conclave “SIDM MSME Conclave 2020”:
- Defence minister Rajnath Singh said the lockdown to combat the coronavirus disease (Covid-19) had hit the manufacturing sector, disrupted supply chains and the defence industry had also been affected due to the strict confinement measures.
- SIDM MSME Conclave 2020 was jointly organized by the Society of Indian Defence Manufacturers (SIDM), Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) and the department of defence production.
Dr. Harsh Vardhan Represents India In NAM Health Ministers Virtual Meet:
- Harsh Vardhan, the Union Minister of Health and Family Welfare, attended the Non-Aligned Movement (NAM) Health Minister’s meeting on May 20 which took place through a video conference.
- NAM Health Minister’s virtual meet was chaired by Ogtay Shiraliyev, Minister of Health, Republic of Azerbaijan.
ONGC And NTPC To Form JV For Renewable Energy Business:
- The Oil and Natural Gas Corporation Limited & India’s largest power generation utility NTPC are planning to set up Joint Venture company for renewable energy business.
- This will enable both companies achieve their targets in renewable energy sector.
Samsung And Facebook Partner To Enable Offline Retailers Go Digital In India:
- Samsung India has partnered with leading social media and technology firm Facebook to train offline retailers go digital in a big way.
- For consumer, this initiative will help them access product information and allow them to purchase Galaxy smartphones through the social media pages of their local retailers.
Patanjali To Launch E-Commerce Platform To Sell Swadeshi Goods:
- Yoga guru Baba Ramdev-led Patanjali Ayurved is getting ready to launch its e-commerce platform “OrderMe” to sell swadeshi-only items within the next 15 days.
- While the products will be delivered by the company free of cost within a few hours, users will also be offered 24X7 free medical advice from around 1,500 doctors of Patanjali and yoga tutorials.
Government Extends ‘Pradhan Mantri Vaya Vandana Yojana’ By 3 Yrs Till Mar 2023:
- The Union Cabinet extended the Pradhan Mantri Vaya Vandana Yojana (PMVVY), a social security scheme for senior citizens, for three years till March, 2023.
- The assured rate of return for fiscal 2020-21 has been pegged at 4 per cent per annum and thereafter to be reset every year.
Jahnabi Phookan Appointed As National President Of FICCI FLO:
- Assam-based entrepreneur Jahnabi Phookan has been appointed as the National President of FICCI Ladies Organization (FLO), the women wing of the leading industry chamber of the country.
- Phookan took over from outgoing National President Harjinder Kaur Talwar at the 36th FLO Annual Session in presence of Lok Sabha Speaker Om Birla.
Jahnabi Phookan appointed as National President of FLO:
- FICCI Ladies Organization (FLO) has appointed Assam-based entrepreneur Jahnabi Phookan as its National President.
- As a National President, she will work towards empowering women with entrepreneurship capabilities and professional excellence.
- FICCI FLO works towards women’s economic empowerment and represents over 8,000 women entrepreneurs and professionals across 17 chapters nationally.
Abhas Jha becomes World Bank’s Practice Manager for Climate Change:
- Abhas Jha has been appointed as the World Bank’s Practice Manager for Climate Change and Disaster Risk Management for South Asia and will be responsible to nurture, lead, inspire and position a team of highly qualified professionals to provide the best solutions for South Asian countries.
- During his tenure, he will work along with other Practice Managers, Global Leads as well as the Global Solutions Groups to incubate, pilot and scale-up innovative and high-quality development solutions.
Current Affairs – Daily Current Affairs 2020
MoHFW constitutes committee to reform Drug Regulatory System:
- The Ministry of Health and Family Welfare (MoHFW) has constituted a committee to reform the Drug Regulatory System.
- The committee comprises of 11 members including the senior health officials, scientists and representatives of the pharmaceutical industry and is headed by Rajesh Bhushan.
- It has been tasked to examine the current drug regulatory system and to give recommendations for reforms in order to bring the system more efficient and to streamline it with global standards.
Andhra Pradesh government releases 1st tranche of “ReStart Package”:
- Andhra Pradesh government has released the 1st tranche of “ReStart Package” to help the lockdown-hit Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSMEs) to reopen and become functional.
- The first tranche is of Rs 450 crore which will be used in clearing the pending industrial incentives that would benefit nearly 98,000 units.
- Under the “ReStart Package”, government will waive of all the minimum power demand charges of MSMEs of the months of April, May and June, and will provide input capital of Rs 200 crore to the firms at low-interest rates in order to bring the MSMEs back on rails.
- This will be done by providing loans in partnership with the Small industrial Development Bank of India at a low-interest rate.
Mizoram Cabinet grants “Industry” status to “Sports”:
- The Mizoram Cabinet has granted “industry” status to “sports” to invest more in sports in order to generate employment and increase value.
- Giving the industry status to sports would also ensure sustainability, proper registration as well as management of sports.
- With this move, the sports and its infrastructure will be eligible to avail the facility of subsidy, loan and assistance from the private and government sources.
Centre Clears OIL Plans For Drilling In Assam’s Dibru Saikhowa Park:
- Oil India Limited said that Ministry of Environment accorded environment clearance for extension of drilling for hydrocarbon exploration in Dibru Saikhowa National Park in Assam as part of Centre’s target to reduce 10% imports & Northeast Vision 2030.
Spanish football player Aritz Aduriz announces retirement:
- Spanish football player and Athletic Bilbao striker Aritz Aduriz has announced his retirement citing medical reasons.
- He has won 13 caps for Spain and also become the Spain’s oldest goalscorer in 2016, scoring at the age of 35 years and 275 days.
- He has scored 141 goals in 296 appearances for Bilbao and has also represented Real Valladolid, Real Mallorca and Valencia.
Indian hockey legend Balbir Singh Dosanjh passes away:
- Former Indian hockey player Balbir Singh Dosanjh who was a part of three-time Olympic gold medal-winning Indian hockey team, i.e. in London Olympics (1948), Helsinki Olympics (1952), and Melbourne Olympics (1956), passed away.
- Balbir Singh Dosanjh was the only Indian among 16 legends who were chosen by the International Olympic Committee across modern Olympic history.
- He has also an unbeaten record of scoring most goals by an individual in the men’s hockey final of the Olympics, under his name.
Australian tennis star Ashley Cooper passes away:
- Australian tennis star Ashley Cooper passed away.
- His career concluded in 1959 after suffering from a back injury. He won four Grand Slam singles titles including the Australian, Wimbledon and U.S. championships in 1958.
- He was also the administrator of the game for a long period.