Current Affairs – Daily Current Affairs 2020
May 21 – International Tea Day:
- International Tea Day is observed globally May 21 on the recommendation of India.
- The purpose of International Tea Day is to try to improve the condition of tea producers and tea workers.
- Tea producing countries make a lot of profit but the condition of the labourers working in the tea plantations is very bad.
- Therefore, the purpose of International Tea Day is to encourage the status of tea workers, workers’ rights, daily wages, social security, employment security, and health.
May 21 – World Day for Cultural Diversity for Dialogue and Development:
- World Day for Cultural Diversity for Dialogue and Development is observed globally on 21 May every year.
- The purpose of the day is to deepen the understanding of the values of cultural diversity and to advance the four goals of the UNESCO Convention on the Protection and Promotion of the Diversity of Cultural.
May 20 – World Metrology Day:
- World Metrology Day is observed globally on 20th May every year. Many nations on this day, internationally collaborate to create awareness about metrology and its advancement in the respective field.
- Theme – Measurements for global trade.
- This theme was chosen to create awareness of the important role measurement plays in facilitating fair global trade, ensuring products meet standards and regulations, and satisfying customer quality expectations.
May 21 – Anti Terrorism Day:
- Anti Terrorism Day 2020 is observed on 21st May every year in India. The day marks the death anniversary of India’s seventh Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi on 21 May 1991.
- He was killed in Tamil Nadu in a campaign by the Tamil Tigers Eelam (LTTE) a terrorist group. After this assassination, V.P. Singh government has decided to observe 21st May as Anti Terrorism Day.
DGDE & eGov Foundation partners for Online Management of Cantonment Boards:
- The Directorate General Defence Estates (DGDE), Ministry of Defence and eGov Foundation has inked an Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) for Online Management of Cantonment Boards.
- Both entities will work together to drive e-governance and enhance citizen services across all cantonment boards in the country.
- These services will be delivered under a cloud-based platform DIGIT (Digital Infrastructure for Governance, Impact & Transformation). These services will be provided under the program named e-Chhawani.
Flipkart partners with Bajaj Allianz for digital motor cover:
- An e-commerce major, Flipkart and Bajaj Allianz General Insurance Company have tied-up to offer a digital motor insurance policy to Flipkart’s customers.
- This partnership between the insurance company and an e-commerce major, will provide seamless, accessible as well as flexible insurance solution to the customers of Flipkart in order to safeguard their vehicles.
Tata Motors’ JLR Rolls Out First Range Rover Made Under Social Distancing Measures:
- The first Range Rover made under new social distancing measures in place to combat coronavirus drove off the production line at the Tata Motors’ owned Jaguar Land Rover’s manufacturing plant in Solihull in the West Midlands region of England following a recent temporary pause in production due to the pandemic.
Dilip Oommen becomes new President of Indian Steel Association:
- Indian Steel Association (ISA) has appointed Dilip Oommen as its new President.
- He is presently the CEO of Arcelor Mittal Nippon Steel India. He was unanimously appointed as President for the next two years.
- He will replace Tata Steel CEO TV Narendran, who stepped down as President on May 1. Oommen is a veteran of the steel industry with more than 37 years of experience and an alumnus of Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur (IIT-K).
Govinda Rajulu Chintala appointed as chairman of NABARD:
- The Appointments Committee of the Union Cabinet has appointed Govinda Rajulu Chintala as the Chairman of National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (NABARD).
- He is presently serving as the Chief General Manager at NABARD and will remain on the post till his superannuation in July 2022. Presently, Dr. Harsh Kumar Bhanwala is serving as the Chairman of NABARD.
Carmen Reinhart appointed as Chief Economist of World Bank Group:
- World Bank Group has appointed Carmen Reinhart as its new Vice President and Chief Economist.
- Her appointment will be effective from June 15, 2020. She was a Senior Policy Advisor and Deputy Director at the IMF and Vice President and Chief Economist of the investment bank Bear Stearns.
Dr Harsh Vardhan to take charge as chairman of WHO Executive Board:
- Union Minister of Health and Family Welfare, Dr Harsh Vardhan will take charge as the chairman of the World Health Organization (WHO) 34-member Executive Board.
- He will replace Dr Hiroki Nakatani of Japan. The WHO is governed by two decision-making bodies, the World Health Assembly and the Executive Board.
NADA provisionally suspends powerlifters Savita Kumari & Ankit Shishodia:
- Two Indian Powerlifters namely Savita Kumari & Ankit Shishodia have been provisionally suspended by the National Anti Doping Agency (NADA).
- The powerlifters have been provisionally suspended for violating the anti-doping rules.
Moeketsi Majoro Sworn In As Lesotho’s New Prime Minister:
- Moeketsi Majoro has been sworn in as Lesotho’s prime minister following the resignation of his embattled predecessor, Thomas Thabane.
- Majoro, who was previously served as the finance minister of the country, took the oath at the king’s palace in front of dignitaries.
Tom Hanks, ‘Game Of Thrones,’ Cardi B, LeBron James Among Winners: Webby Awards:
- Jimmy Fallon, Greta Thunberg, Malala Yousafzai, Tom Hanks, Cardi B, LeBron James, Lil Nas X, Dolly Parton, Ronan Farrow, Game of Thrones and Celine Dion are among the winners of the 24th annual Webby Awards, which honor the best of the web.
- Webby Award for Celebrity/Fan (Social) – The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon
- Webby Award for Email Newsletters (Websites) – The Malala Fund
- Webby People’s Voice Award for Arts & Entertainment (Social) – #NiceTweets with Tom Hanks
- Webby Award and Webby People’s Voice Award for Fashion & Lifestyle (Video) – Reebok x Cardi B | Nails
- Webby Award and Webby People’s Voice Award for Events & Livestreams (Video) – The Intercept’s Greta Thunberg on the Climate Fight: “If We Can Save the Banks, Then We Can Save the World”
- Webby Award and Webby People’s Voice Award for Public Service & Activism (Video) – #NatureNow with Greta Thunberg
- Webby People’s Voice Award for Science & Education (Podcasts) – Science Rules! With Bill Nye
- Webby Award for Best User Interface (Websites) – ESPN’s Welcome to Bron Bron Land
- Webbys People’s Voice Award for Best Art Direction (Video) – Lil Nas X, “Panini”
- Webby Award and Webby People’s Voice Award for Best Mini Series (Podcasts) – Dolly Parton’s America
- Webby Award for Comedy (Video) – Squarespace’s Make It With Idris Elba
- Webby People’s Voice Award for Fashion & Beauty (Social) – Fenty Beauty by Rihanna
- Webby Award for Entertainment (Video) – The Late Late Show With James Corden
- Webby Award for Volumetric/6-Degrees of Freedom (Video) – Game of Thrones: The Dead Must Die Magic Leap Experience
- Webby People’s Voice Award for Best Host (Podcasts) – The Catch and Kill Podcast With Ronan Farrow
- Webby People’s Voice Award for Experimental & Innovation (Social) – Celine Dion
- Webby Award and Webby People’s Voice Award for Best Individual Episode (Podcasts) – HBO’s The Chernobyl Podcast
Current Affairs – Daily Current Affairs 2020
Indian Railways operationalised its 1st 12,000 hp electric Locomotive- WAG12:
Indian Railways has operationalised its 1st 12,000 hp electric Locomotive- WAG12.
- The loco is named WAG12 with Number 60027. This Locomotive has manufactured by Madhepura Electric Loco Factory in Bihar.
- This locomotive has been put into operation by Indian Railways from Pandit Deen Dayal Upadhyaya Junction.
“Didi Vehicle Service” launched in Madhya Pradesh:
- “Didi Vehicle Service” has been launched by the women of Rural Livelihood Mission in the tribal-dominated Jhabua district of Madhya Pradesh.
- Didi Vehicle Service has been launched for rural women for the safe delivery, hence proving to be a lifeline for pregnant rural women in tribal areas.
- The vehicle under the “Didi Vehicle Service” will also be available for other emergency services.
“Mee Annapurna” initiative launched in Maharashtra:
- “Mee Annapurna” initiative has been launched in Maharashtra by an IRDA licensed insurance intermediary “Integrated Risk Insurance”.
- This initiative has been launched by Integrated Risk Insurance as a part of its commitment as a Corporate Social Responsibility towards the welfare of the farmers and agriculture community in Maharashtra.
- This initiative is based on three commandments namely: Expertise, Engagement and Entitlement.
J&K launches an initiative “SUKOON – COVID-19 Beat the Stress”:
- Department of Information and Public Relations, J&K has started an initiative “SUKOON – COVID-19 Beat the Stress” programme.
- This initiative spread awareness about the psychological impact of lockdown and measures to be adopted to overcome them.
Uttar Pradesh Launches Start-Up Fund, Signs MoU With SIDBI To Promote Aspiring Entrepreneurs:
- In order to mobilize the youth of the state towards entrepreneurship, UP Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath launched the ‘Uttar Pradesh Startup Fund’ handing over the first installment of Rs 15 crore to Small Industries Development Bank of India (SIDBI).
”Tatpar” Scheme In Ranchi To Transport Migrant Workers:
- ‘Tatpar’ programme was launched by the Ranchi district, Jharkhand administration to ease their tiresome journey on foot.
- Under the programme, officials collect information about those walking on national highways or on any other road to provide t
May 20 – World Bee Day:
- To raise awareness of the importance of pollinators, the threats they face and their contribution to sustainable development, the UN designated 20 May as World Bee Day.
- The goal is to strengthen measures aimed at protecting bees and other pollinators.
- Theme – “Save the Bees”.
May 20 – World Metrology Day:
- World Metrology Day is observed on 20 May. World Metrology Day project is realized jointly by the BIPM and the OIML.
- Theme – “Measurements for Global Trade”.
Canara Bank starts gold loan business vertical:
- Canara Bank has started a special business vertical dedicated to gold loans.
- This business vertical for gold loans to meet the financial needs of its customers due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- The bank has launched a gold loan campaign till 30th June 2020 with an interest rate as low as 7.85% per annum.
Kotak Mahindra Bank becomes 1st bank in India to allow video KYC:
- Kotak Mahindra Bank becomes 1st bank in India to allow video Know your customer (KYC) facility for customers opening savings accounts on Kotak 811 – the banks digital banking platform.
- The initiative is presently being launched on a pilot basis for savings accounts, Kotak Mahindra.
- With Video KYC, verification of documents, signature are completed via a video call with a representative from the bank without any physical interface.
India gives $2 million aid to UN agency for Palestinian refugees’ welfare:
- India has provided USD 2 million aid for the United Nations Relief and Works Agency working for the welfare of Palestinian refugees.
- This aid is given for UNRWA core programmes and services, including education and health, amidst the coronavirus crisis.
- India has increased the annual contribution to the UNRWA from USD 1.25 million (Rs. 9.45 crore) to USD 5 million (Rs. 37 crore) in 2019.
- The contribution was presented to the United Nations agency by the Representative of India (ROI) to the State of Palestine, Sunil Kumar.
China announces USD 2 billion help at WHO assembly:
- China has announced to provide USD 2 billion over two years to fight the coronavirus pandemic at WHO assembly with an aim of supporting COVID-19 response efforts, particularly in developing countries.
- The decision comes after, when China faced growing global pressure over the lockdowns, the death toll and a huge increase in coronavirus cases that has brought the world to a standstill.
- WHO announced the coronavirus outbreak to be a worldwide health emergency on January 30 which was further declared as a pandemic on March 11, after the virus had killed thousands globally.
7th LCU Ship ‘INLCU L57’ commissioned into Indian Navy:
- Landing Craft Utility Ship ‘INLCU L57’ commissioned into Indian Navy in Port Blair.
- This warship was built by the Garden Reach Shipbuilders and Engineers Limited (GRSE). The “INLCU L57” is the seventh LCU Mark IV class warship.
73rd session of World Health Assembly held via video conferencing:
- The 73rd session of World Health Assembly was held via video conferencing due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- The 73rd session of the assembly featured the participation of the delegations from all WHO Member States and focused on a specific health agenda prepared by the Executive Board. During the session, India was represented by Union Health Minister Dr Harsh Vardhan.
- During the session, the minister highlighted the timely, graded and proactive steps taken by the Indian government towards COVID-19 management.
ARCI & SCTIMST jointly develops biodegradable metal implants:
- International Advanced Research Centre for Powder Metallurgy and New Materials (ARCI) and Sree Chitra Tirunal Institute of Medical Sciences and Technology (SCTIMST), Thiruvananthapuram have jointly developed new generation Iron-Manganese based alloys for biodegradable metal implants for use in humans.
Jaipur Based Company ‘Club First’ Develops India’s First Service Robots “Sona 1.5 And Sona .5”:
- Jaipur-based company ‘Club First’ has developed India’s first service robots named as “Sona 1.5 and Sona .5” to help health workers in conducting a thermal screening of the people amid COVID-19 crisis.
- The robot which is 95 per cent made in India is the first in the world to be based on spine technology.
Facebook Acquires Giphy To Integrate With Instagram:
- Facebook acquired Giphy— a popular website for making and sharing animated images or GIFs.
- Giphy will now work as part of the Instagram Its GIF library will be integrated with the photo-sharing application as well as with Facebook’s other apps.
Tata To Buy Out PepsiCo’s Stake In JV NourishCo Beverages:
- Tata Consumer Product Ltd to acquire the stake of PepsiCo in their joint venture NourishCo Beverages.
- NourishCo, a 50:50 joint venture of TCPL and PepsiCo, operates in the healthy hydration space and has brands like Tata Gluco Plus and Tata Water Plus.
CSIR-CMERI develops disinfection sprayers to combat COVID-19:
- Two mobile indoor Disinfection Sprayer units namely Pneumatically Operated Mobile Indoor Disinfection (POMID), and Battery Powered Disinfectant Sprayer (BPDS) have been developed by the scientists at CSIR-Central Mechanical Engineering Research Institute (CMERI), Durgapur.
- The application of these units includes effective cleaning and disinfecting pathogenic micro-organism, especially in hospitals.
Prime Minister of Lesotho, Thomas Thabane resigns:
- Thomas Thabane has formally resigned as the Prime Minister of Lesotho. Thabane and his current wife are suspected of conspiring to murder his former wife nearly three years ago.
- Lesotho’s Finance Minister Moeketsi Majoro has been named by parliament as the interim Prime Minister of the country.
Rajesh Goel becomes new DG of NAREDCO:
- Rajesh Goel becomes new director-general (DG) of the Realtors body National Real Estate Development Council (NAREDCO).
- Prior to this, he was serving as the chairman and managing director, Hindustan Prefab Ltd.
- He is a professional with over 37 years of experience in leading PSUs under the Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs.
Alibaba’s Jack Ma resigns from SoftBank board:
- Alibaba co-founder Jack Ma will be resigning from SoftBank board of directors. Jack Ma serving for nearly 13 years in the board. Ma is expected to resign from the Group’s board on June 25.
- The news comes as the group posted record financial loss of USD 13 billion. Jack Ma had retired as the Executive Chairman of Alibaba in September 2019.
Vice Admiral Vinay Badhwar wins Alexander Dalrymple Award 2019:
- Vice Admiral Vinay Badhwar, the National Hydrographer to the government of India, has been honoured with the 2019 Alexander Dalrymple Award for his outstanding contribution to Indian hydrography and across the broader Indian Ocean region. The award was presented by the UK Ministry of Defence.
- The recipients of the award are selected by the chief Committee of the UK Hydrographic Office( UKHO) for his or her efforts in raising the standards of hydrography, cartography and navigation around the world.
Government Implements Shekatkar Committee Recommendations Related To Creating Border Infrastructure:
- Union Government has implemented Lt. General D B Shekatkar Committee’s recommendations related to creating border infrastructure.
- These were related to road construction leading to socio-economic development in the border areas along India’s border with China.
Mobile App “National Test Abhyas” launched by Union HRD Ministry:
- A new mobile application called “National Test Abhyas” has been launched by the Ministry of Human Resources Development.
- The application which has been developed by the National Testing Agency will help the candidates to take mock tests for exams such as JEE Mains, NEET, etc.
- The main aim of the application is to help students during the closure of educational institutions.
CySecK launches programme “H.A.C.K” for Cyber Security Start-ups:
- An accelerator programme branded as “H.A.C.K” has been launched by the Karnataka’s Centre of Excellence in cyber security (CySecK).
- H.A.C.K is the Karnataka’s first cybersecurity-specific accelerator programme comprising of 21 start-ups on board across three cohorts: 10x cohort, 0-1 cohort and virtual cohort.
India Post exhibits Special Postal Cover dedicated to Migrant Workers:
- India Post has released a Special Postal Cover dedicated to the migrant workers with an objective of paying tribute to them.
- Five migrant workers were called upon from different sectors to release the Special Postal Cover which was released during an event at the Bicentennial Hall of the historic Mumbai GPO building.
- The release of Special Cover was an attempt made by India Post to keep the struggles and contributions of migrant workers, recorded in the history of India.
Ladakh becomes COVID-19 free after recovery of all active cases:
- The Union Territory, Ladakh has become corona virus free as the region have not reported any fresh case since 3rd May 2020.
- A total of 43 cases of Coronavirus were reported in Ladakh till now and all the confirmed cases have recovered from the COVID-19.
Government Of West Bengal Announces New Schemes- ‘Sneher Porosh’ & ‘Prochesta’:
- The Chief Minister of West Bengal launched two schemes ‘Sneher Porosh’ to provide support for the migrant workers and ‘Prochesta’ to help the workers of the unorganized sector of Bengal to enable them to earn their living in the lockdown situation.
- Prochesta Scheme is to provide wages to all daily wage workers.
Karnataka Launches Incubator For Cyber Security Start-Ups In India:
- Karnataka launched its first cyber security-specific accelerator programme ‘H.A.C.K’.
- The programme is implemented by CySecK, which is state’s Centre of Excellence in Cyber Security meant to create a cyber-safe environment for industry collaboration.
Gujarat Mandates Digital Payment For Home Delivery In Ahmedabad:
- Preventing the spread of Covid-19 through currency notes, Gujarat government has mandated digital payment for all home delivery services in the worst-hit city of Ahmedabad and also issued protocol to be followed by the delivery persons.
Current Affairs – Daily Current Affairs 2020
Acer India Launches ‘Back To School’ 2020 Campaign:
- Acer has launched its Back to School 2020 campaign and will provide zero down-payment and 2 years additional warranty plus one-year accidental damage protection free of charge for all students buying laptops between May 11 and June 30, 2020.
Uttar Pradesh Govt Presents Rs 5.12 Lakh Cr Budget In State Assembly:
- The Uttar Pradesh government presented a Rs 5,12,860.72 crore budget for FY 2020-21 in the state assembly.
- The size of the budget is Rs 33,159 crore more than the last year’s budget, has provisions worth Rs 10,967.87 crore for new schemes.
Italy Develops ‘IFeel – You’ Bracelet For Social Distancing:
- The Genoa-based Italian Institute of Technology (IIT) has developed “iFeel – You”, an intelligent bracelet to help with social distancing.
- It uses a radio signal when another bracelet is approaching and does not use GPS & cannot track the user’s location.
Cyclone Amphan intensifies into Super Cyclone:
- Cyclone Amphan intensified into a super cyclone with wind speed above 200 kmph and moved further towards North-Northeastwards over West Central Bay.
- It is the first super cyclone to hit the region in the last two decades since a super cyclone-hit Odisha in 1999 causing widespread damage and loss of life.
- India Meteorological Department has warned of heavy rain in Odisha and West Bengal under its impact.
‘Rail-Bot’ developed by SCR to provide better health care to COVID-19 patients:
- South Central Railway zone has developed a robotic device named as “RAIL-BOT” (R-BOT) to assist in the functions of hospital management to provide better health care to the COVID-19 patients.
- It will be used to supply medicines, medical accessories and to serve food to the patients, without any need for physical contact.
- The R-BOT holds sensor-based features to read the blood heat of patients and transmit an equivalent for display on Mobile phones.
WHO will initiate Independent Inquiry in handling of COVID-19:
- The World Health Organisation will initiate the Independent Inquiry in the handling of COVID-19. To achieve this, WHO will launch “Resolution on COVID-19 response”.
- The main aim of the review is to put an end to the international blame game in the origin of COVID-19. Around 116 countries backed the resolution of independent review.
- India backed the resolution. The idea of the resolution was initiated by Australia. However, the resolution was drafted by the European Union.
Lata Mangeskar sings “JAYTU BHARATAM” song for Atma Nirbhar Bharat:
- Legendary singer Lata Mangeskar has sung a song titled as JAYTU BHARATAM saluting the spirit of Atma Nirbhar Bharat.
- More than 200 singers have sung the song including Anuradha Paudwal, Kavita Krishnamurthy, Shaan, Udit Narayan, Pankaj Udas, Alka Yagini, Rekha, Asha Bhonsle, SP Balasubrahmanyam, Shankar Mahadevan, Sonu Nigam and Kailash Kher.
ICC cricket committee set to ban the use of saliva to shine ball:
- The International Cricket Council’s (ICC) Cricket Committee has recommended banning on the use of saliva to shine the ball.
- The practice meant for swing bowling is now primarily held as health risk due to the threats of COVID-19 and protect the safety of players and match officials.
- This committee is chaired by former India leg-spinner Anil Kumble.
Bundesliga becomes 1st major sports event to resume post COVID-19 lockdown:
- The Bundesliga primary football league of Germany becomes the world’s first major sports event to resume after COVID-19 lockdown.
- The Bundesliga games began with empty stadium though the stadium had the capacity to hold more than 80,000 players. Bundesliga means “Federal League”.
Ruskin Bond’s new book released in an e-book format:
- Ruskin Bond’s new book titled ‘Hop On: My Adventures on Boats, Trains and Planes’ was released on his 86th Birthday in an e-book format.
- The book presents its readers with a number of the author’s hilarious journeys and travel adventures.
- The illustrations for Ruskin Bond’s new book has been done by Samrat Halder.
Marathi writer, playwright Ratnakar Matkari passes away:
- Veteran Marathi writer and playwright, Ratnakar Matkari passed away after being diagnosed with COVID-19.
- He was considered a pioneer of the children’s drama movement in Marathi. His immense contribution in various forms such as plays, short stories, the novel has enriched the world of Marathi literature.
Actor Sai Gundewar Passed Away At 42:
- Actor Sai Gundekar passed away at the age of 42 years due to brain cancer in the United States(U.S), who was known for his appearances in shows like Survivor and Splitsvilla, as well as acting in films PK and Rock On!.
Spritual Leader Dev Prabhakar Shastri, Popularly Called ‘Daddaji’ Passes Away:
- Noted spiritual leader Dev Prabhakar Shastri, popularly called ‘Daddaji’, passed away after lung and kidney ailments.He was from Madhya Pradesh.