Current Affairs – Daily Current Affairs 2020
May 16 – Armed Forces Day 2020:
- Armed Forces Day is observed on the third Saturday in May. In 2020, it falls on the 16th of May.
- This day is celebrated to pay tribute to the men and women who served the United States Armed Forces.
May 16 – International Day of Light:
- The International Day of Light is celebrated every year on 16th May to celebrate the role that light plays in science, culture and art, education, and sustainable development, and also in the fields as diverse as medicine, communications, and energy.
- The day also marks the anniversary of first successful operation of the laser in 1960 by physicist and engineer, Theodore Maiman.
FM announces 4th tranche of measures for “Aatmanirbhar Bharat Abhiyan”:
- Union Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman has announced the details of the 4th tranche of Economic Relief Package for “Aatmanirbhar Bharat Abhiyan” amid COVID-19 pandemic.
- This 4th tranche is the part of economic package of Rs 20 lakh crore has been announced with the prime objective of making India self-reliant.
Fiscal Deficit To Balloon To 7.9% In FY21:
- With the Government Rs 20 lakh Crore stimulus package, the country’s fiscal deficit is likely to be more than double to 9 per cent in the current financial year, according to an SBI research.
- The earlier estimate for the FY21 was 3.5% of the GDP.
GoI & AIIB signs agreement to improve irrigation services in West Bengal:
- A loan agreement for a US$145 million project has been signed by the Government of India, the Government of West Bengal and the Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB).
- This project has a prime objective of improving irrigation services and flood management in the Damodar Valley Command Area (DVCA) in West Bengal.
- It will also include introduction of a modern Management Information System (MIS) aling with rational asset management.
“Atmanirbhar Gujarat Sahay Yojana” launched in Gujarat:
- “Atmanirbhar Gujarat Sahay Yojana” as been launched by the Gujarat Government. The scheme aims to provide an interest subsidy, a moratorium as well as a collateral free loan of up to Rs 1 lakh.
- All the above facilities has been launched for over a million small traders, street-vendors and small professionals in the state.
- Gujarat government has a target of lending around Rs 5000 crore via the loan that carries a tenure of 3 years.
Piyush Goyal Participates In Virtual Session Of G20 Trade Ministers:
- Union Commerce and Industry Minister Piyush Goyal attended a video conference meeting of commerce ministers of G-20 countries.
- The meeting was called to discuss ways to minimise disruption to trade and global supply chains which have been affected by the COVID-19 pandemic.
PepsiCo India Ties Up With Swiggy:
- In a bid to strengthen availability of its snack brands at a time when the country is grappling with the Covid-19 pandemic, PepsiCo India has entered into a distribution partnership with Swiggy to launch Lay’s and Kurkure e-stores on the app.
ACT Grants Partners With Bill And Melinda Gates Foundation, Others To Combat Covid-19:
- The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, the Michael and Susan Dell Foundation and Wadhwani Foundation have joined Action Covid-19 Team (ACT) Grants as donors and will extend the outreach of the initiative. ACT is an Indian not-for-profit grant.
Dr Harsh Vardhan Dedicates COVID-19 Testing Machine COBAS 6800 To The Nation:
- Dr Harsh Vardhan, Union Minister of Health and Family Welfare, Government of India, visited the National Centre for Disease Control in Delhi, and dedicated the COBAS 6800 COVID-19 testing machine to the nation. It performs RT-PCR tests for COVID-19.
- COBAS requires a minimum BSL2+ containment level for testing.
“MIR AHD Covid-19 Dashboard” developed by IIT Gandhinagar:
- An interactive COVID-19 dashboard named as “MIR AHD Covid-19 Dashboard” has been developed by the researchers at IIT Gandhinagar.
- The dashboard aims to provide key information to stakeholders and the public in order to make research-backed decisions during the time of crisis.
- This interactive dashboard can assist the administrators, hospitals and also the public in planning optimised examination for the novel coronavirus.
- It can also help in containing the community infection in various post-lockdown scenarios.
‘GOAL’ programme launched for Digital Skilling of Tribal Youth:
- “GOAL (Going Online As Leaders)” programme has been launched by the Union Minister for Tribal Affairs Shri Arjun Munda for Digital Skilling of Tribal Youth.
- The Going Online As Leaders (GOAL) is a joint initiative of Facebook India with Ministry of Tribal affairs.
- The program has a target to empower 5,000 tribal youths in the present phase in order to harness the full potential of digital platforms as well as tools to understand new ways of doing business, explore and connect with domestic and international markets.
Investment Capacity Of India In Renewable Sector Reached 500-700 Billion USD:
- The Institute of Energy Economics and Financial Analysis published a study according to which India has increased its potential for renewable energy in solar power in the country.
- The Bhadla Solar Park in Rajasthan is the largest solar park in the world.
- India target to install 175 GW of renewable energy by FY2021-22.
Union HRD Minister e-launches 7 titles under NBT’s Corona Studies series:
- Under the corona studies series published by NBT India, Union HRD Minister Shri Ramesh Pokhriyal ‘Nishank’ has e-launched 7 titles as print and e-edition.
- These 7 titles are based on “Psycho-Social impact of pandemic & lockdown and how to Cope With”.
Delhi Police launches “Thermal Corona Combat Headgear”:
- Delhi Police has launched an equipment “Thermal Corona Combat Headgear” in collaboration with Indian Robotics Solution (IRS).
- This equipment has been launched to protect the frontline corona warriors from the COVID-19.
- This unique equipment enables the police personnel to detect temperature of a large number of people from a distance of 10-15 metres and also helps in enforcing social distancing norms.
Sahitya Akademi winning Bengali author Debesh Roy passes away:
- Veteran Bengali author Debesh Roy, who had five decades of career as a writer, passed away.
- He was awarded with the Sahitya Akademi award for his novel ‘Teesta Parer Brittanto’.
Bangladesh’s National Professor Anisuzzaman passes away:
- Bangladesh’s Noted literary personality, educationist and national Professor Anisuzzaman passed away. He was the President of Bangla Academy since 2012.
- He was a liberation war fighter and also participated in the language movement against Pakistan.
Little Richard, Rock’n’roll Pioneer, Passed Away At 87:
- Little Richard, architect of rock ‘n’ roll, has passed away at the age of 87 years in Tullahoma, Tennessee due to bone cancer, who was a Grammy Award winner and an inductee to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1986.