Current Affairs – Daily Current Affairs 2020
May 17 – World Hypertension Day:
- 17th May is observed globally every year as the World Hypertension Day to promote public awareness of increasing high blood pressure (BP) and to encourage citizens of all countries to prevent and control this silent killer.
- Theme – Measure Your Blood Pressure, Control It, Live Longer.
- The theme focuses on increasing high blood pressure (BP) awareness in all populations around the world. World Hypertension Day (WHD) is an initiative of the World Hypertension League (WHL), an affiliated section of the International Society of Hypertension.
May 17 – World Telecommunication and Information Society Day:
- World Telecommunication and Information Society Day is observed globally on 17th May every year to raise awareness of the possibilities that the use of the Internet and other information and communication technologies (ICT) can bring to societies and economies.
- Theme – “Connect 2030: ICTs for the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)”.
- The day is been celebrated annually on 17 May since 1969.
May 18 – International Museum Day:
- International Museum Day is celebrated every year on 18 May to raise awareness about the importance of Museums which are an important means of cultural exchange, enrichment of cultures and development of mutual understanding, cooperation and peace among peoples.
- Theme – “Museums for Equality: Diversity and Inclusion”.
- The day was celebrated for the first time 40 years ago.
Centre, WB Govt, AIIB Sign Agreement For USD 145 Million Project To Improve Irrigation In West Bengal:
- Government of India, West Bengal Government and the Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB) signed a loan agreement for a 145 million dollar project to improve irrigation services and flood management in the Damodar Valley Command Area in West Bengal.
Government Raises FDI Limit In Defence Production To 74% From 49%:
- Finance Minister N Sitharaman announced raising the Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) limit in the defense sector under the automatic route from 49% to 74%.
- Also, Ordnance Factory Boards to be corporatised for better management & eventually get listed in stock markets.
NABARD Sanctions Special Liquidity Support Of Rs.1500 Crore For The Farmers Of Punjab:
- NABARD has sanctioned Rs 1,500 crore for Punjab to ensure continuous credit flow to farmers, through state cooperative banks.
- This is part of NABARD’s Rs 25,000 crore nationwide SLF, made available ensure the flow of credit to farmers during the pandemic.
Defence Minister approves Defence Testing Infrastructure scheme:
- A Defence Testing Infrastructure Scheme (DTIS) has been approved by the Defence Minister Rajnath Singh with an outlay of Rs 400 crore.
- The scheme has been approved to offer private sector defence and aerospace companies affordable facilities to test as well as validate the weaponry designed by them.
- The Defence Testing Infrastructure Scheme intends to set up Greenfield Defence Testing Infrastructure as a common facility in Defence Industrial Corridors (DICs), under the private sector with government assistance.
CSIR Joins Hands With IIIT-Hyderabad And Intel:
- CSIR is working with Intel India and IIIT – Hyderabad to help achieve faster and less expensive COVID-19 testing and coronavirus genome sequencing to understand the epidemiology and AI-based risk stratification for patients with co-morbidities.
NRAI partners with DotPe to build tech platform:
- National Restaurants Association of India (NRAI) has tied-up with fintech start-up DotPe to build its own tech platform which will enable them with online payments for digital ordering, bill settlements, and contactless dining.
- This partnership would directly take on existing food-tech aggregators, Zomato and Swiggy.
- NRAI is also exploring synergies with social media platforms such as WhatsApp, Facebook, and Instagram to provide and ordering facilities and visibility for restaurant partners who could potentially be its members.
Tnpsc Coaching Centre in Salem
General Atlantic To Invest Rs.6,598.38 Cr. For 1.34% Stake In Jio Platforms:
- General Atlantic, a leading global growth equity firm, has agreed to invest Rs.6598.38 crores in Jio Platforms Ltd for a 1.34% stake, valuing the company at Rs.5.16 lakh crore.
- With this Jio Platforms raised Rs.67194.75 crores from leading technology investors.
Zubair Iqbal becomes new MD of Jammu & Kashmir Bank:
- Senior vice president of HDFC Bank, Zubair Iqbal has been appointed as new managing director of Jammu and Kashmir Bank for a period of three-year tenure.
- RK Chibber will continue to serve as the Chairman of the bank for the next three years.
- The appointments are based upon the continuous directions by the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) to separate the positions of Chairman and Managing Director for better governance.
Benjamin Netanyahu secures 5th term as Israeli Prime Minister:
- Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has won the Israeli national election and hence secured a record fifth term in office, after a controversial power-sharing deal with rival-turned-partner Benny Gantz.
- According to the three-year coalition deal, Netanyahu will serve as Prime Minister while Benny Gantz will serve as the Defence Minister for the coming 18 months, which would keep him in power until November 13, 2021.
- After 18 months, both of them will swap their roles and Netanyahu will become Defence Minister while Gantz will be the new Prime Minister.
“National Migrant Information System” dashboard developed by NDMA:
- An online dashboard “National Migrant Information System (NMIS)” has been developed by the National Disaster Management Authority to secure information regarding the movement of migrants and to facilitate the smooth movement of stranded persons across States.
- It will also support in speedy inter-State communication/co-ordination to facilitate the smooth movement of migrant workers to their native places.
- With the help of the data integrated in the dashboard, the states will be able to visualize how many people are going out from where and how many are reaching their destination States.
FM announces 5th tranche of measures for “Aatmanirbhar Bharat Abhiyan”:
- Amid COVID-19 pandemic, the details of the 5th tranche of Economic Relief Package for “Aatmanirbhar Bharat Abhiyan” have been announced by the Union Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman.
- The 5th tranche is the part of economic package of Rs 20 lakh crore that has been announced with the prime objective of making India self-reliant.
- Government of India has decided to allocate an additional amount of Rs 40,000 crore under MGNREGS which will help in generating total work of nearly 300 crore person days.
- With this allocation, GoI will ensure to address the need for more work including returning migrant workers in Monsoon season as well.
Banking Coaching Centre in Salem
Lockdown 4.0 – Lockdown extended until 31st May 2020:
- The extension of the lockdown due to COVID-19 has been announced by the Ministry of Home Affairs with an official notice stating that the lockdown has been extended for a further period of 14 days i.e. 31st May 2020.
- The ministry has also released a new set of guidelines for the nation-wide curfew.
- In the set of guidelines given by the Ministry of Home Affairs, it is stated that states will decide the Containment, Buffer, Red, Green and Orange zones for lockdown till 31 May and interstate travel, all domestic and international travel, metro rail operation is still prohibited.
India’s Ultra Mega Solar Parks A $700-Bn Investment Opportunity:
- India’s ultra-mega solar parks have attracted foreign capital and provided investors with an opportunity to join a $500-700 billion renewable energy and grid infrastructure investment boom in the coming decade, according to the latest report by Institute for Energy Economics and Financial Analysis (IEEFA).
- Government set target to install 175 GW of renewable energy by FY22.
Madhya Pradesh Launches Charan Paduka Initiative For Migrant Labourers:
- In Madhya Pradesh, in a first of its kind of initiative, Charan Paduka campaign has been started for the migrant labourers passing through the state.
- Under this, migrant labourers going barefoot are providing shoes and slippers to reduce their pain.
Five-Member Panel Formed To Probe Vizag Gas Leak: Andhra Pradesh:
- Andhra Pradesh government has formed a 5-member high-powered committee led by Neerabh Kumar Prasad to probe into the causes behind the leakage of styrene gas from the LG Polymers India Ltd located at RR Venkatapuram in Visakhapatnam.
A Book titled “Wuhan Diary: Dispatches from a Quarantined City” authored by Fang Fang:
- The book called “Wuhan Diary: Dispatches from a Quarantined City” authored by Chinese literary writer Fang Fang. It is a compilation of online diary entries and social media posts that document 60 days of lockdown during COVID-19.
- In the following days & weeks, author’s nightly postings gave voice to the fears, frustrations, anger, and hope of millions of her fellow citizens, which reflects the psychological impact of forced isolation, the role of the internet as both community lifeline and source of misinformation, and the lives of neighbours and friends taken by the deadly virus.
Iran’s OPEC governor Hossein Kazempour Ardebili passes away:
- Iran’s representative at Organisation of the Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC), Hossein Kazempour Ardebili passed away.
- He had served as Iran’s OPEC governor for nearly 20 years. He had been Iran’s representative to OPEC since 2013, after previously holding the position from 1995 to 2008.
Former Miss America, Sportscasting Pioneer Phyllis Ann George Has Passed Away:
- Phyllis George, a broadcast television pioneer who became the first female co-anchor of the football pregame show “The NFL Today,” has died. She was 70.
- She had been crowned the 50th Miss America in 1971.