Current Affairs – Daily Current Affairs 2020
June 12 – World Day Against Child Labour:
- World Day Against Child Labour is observed globally on 12th June every year.
- This year, the World Day Against Child Labour is conducted as a virtual campaign and is being organized jointly with the worldwide March Against Child Labour and the International Partnership for Cooperation on Child Labour in Agriculture (IPCCLA).
- The International Labour Organization (ILO) launched the World Day Against Child Labour in 2002.
Bank Of Baroda, Union Bank Of India Reduce MCLR Across All Tenors:
- State-run lenders Bank of Baroda (BoB) and Union Bank of India (UBI) on Wednesday announced cut in their Marginal Cost Of Funds-Based Lending Rates (MCLR) across all tenors.
- BoB has revised its one-year MCLR to 65% from 7.80%. Union Bank of India has reduced its one-year MCLR to 7.60 per cent from 7.70 per cent.
OECD projects contraction of Indian Economy at 3.7% in FY21:
- Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development has released its Economic Outlook and has forecasted Indian Economy to contract to 3.7% in the fiscal year 2020-21.
- It also stated that if there is a second COVID-19 outbreak in the country, then its growth will drop further to -7.3%.
Empays ties-up with Mastercard to enable contactless ATM withdrawals:
- Cloud-based payment solutions provider, Empays Payment Systems India has tied-up with Mastercard to launch contactless ATM solution in India due to COVID-19 pandemic.
- Under the partnership, Mastercard will help Empays to launch ‘Cardless ATM powered by Mastercard.
- This initiative will enable the users to withdraw money without any need of inserting the physical debit/credit card into the ATM.
Bharti Airtel Arm Buys 6.3% More Stake In Robi Axiata From NTT Docomo:
- Bharti International (Singapore), a whole owned subsidiary (step-down) of Bharti Airtel currently owns 25% stake in Robi Axiata, an entity in Bangladesh.
- BISPL has acquired additional 6.3% stake in Robi from NTT DOCOMO and its group entities.
Joint Science Communication Forum constituted by DST:
- A joint Science Communication Forum has been constituted by the Department of Science & Technology to facilitate interaction, cooperation, and coordination amongst various public sector science communication institutions and agencies.
- It would be served by a Secretariat at the National Council for Science & Technology Communication (NCSTC), Department of Science & Technology.
- It will integrate the science communication efforts spread across different institutions.
Shri Shambhu S. Kumaran Has Been Appointed As The Next Ambassador Of India To The Republic Of Philippines:
- Diplomat Shambhu S Kumaran has been appointed as the next Ambassador of India to the Philippines, the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) said.
- Kumaran is presently Ambassador of India to the Kingdom of Morocco.
Indian-Origin Prabhakar Raghavan Has Been Promoted As The Head Of Google Search And Assistant:
- American tech giant Google has appointed Prabhakar Raghavan as the head of Search and Assistant.
- Raghavan will be succeeding Ben Gome, who will be given a new role and will report directly to Google CEO Sundar Pichai.
Actor Sonu Sood Appointed As Brand Ambassador Of Gargo International:
- Gargo International, the delhi based lubricant company under the RG group appoints Sonu Sood as the brand ambassador in January 2020 & praised him now for his support works for the migrants and went live with their TVC starring Sonu Sood.
Shobha Sekhar conferred with “Medal of the Order of Australia”:
- Indian Musician & founder of Kalakruthi music organization in Australia, Shobha Sekhar will be conferred the “Medal of the Order of Australia” for her service to the community and the country.
- The medal of the order of Australia is awarded to the individuals contributing to their community or to Australia globally or domestically.
Himachal Pradesh launches “Panchvati Yojna”:
- Himachal Pradesh Chief Minister Jai Ram Thakur has launched “Panchvati Yojana” for the senior citizens of rural areas of the state.
- Under this programme, the state will set up parks and gardens in every development block with all the necessary amenities.
- State government is eying to develop 100 such parks in the state in the current financial year. This will be executed under the MNREGA scheme of rural development.
1st high rise Over Head Equipment commissioned by Indian Railways:
- Indian Railways has commissioned the first high rise Over Head Equipment (OHE) and successfully ran a double stack containers in electrified territory on Western Railway.
- With this, Indian Railways has become the first Railway to run Double Stack Container train with high reach pantograph in high rise OHE territory, which is a first of its kind in the entire world.
- The 1st high rise Over Head Equipment (OHE) has a contact wire height of 7.57 metre and it was operated successfully from Palanpur & Botad stations in Gujarat.
Deep Submergence Rescue Vehicle (DSRV) complex inaugurated in Vizag:
- Deep Submergence Rescue Vehicle (DSRV) Complex was inaugurated at Eastern Naval Command (ENC) in Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh.
- It has been designed to accommodate the newly inducted submarine rescue system and store the DSRV assets in the rescue-ready state.
- The Indian Navy has inducted two such systems which will provide rescue cover to submarines on the east and west coast of India.
‘Shohojodha’ online plasma network for COVID-19 started by Bangladesh:
- Government of Bangladesh has launched ‘Shohojodha’, an online network to facilitate plasma exchange between recovered patients of COVID-19 treatment. It has been launched by the ICT division of the government of Bangladesh in collaboration with Directorate General of Health Services (DGHS), a2i innovation lab and eGeneration to facilitate collection and distribution of plasma from patients who have recovered from Coronavirus.
Gujarat Reports 28.87% Rise In Population Of Asiatic Lions:
- Gujarat has reported a significant rise in the population of Asiatic lions in their habitat in the protected areas and the agro-pastoral landscape of the Saurashtra region in the state, including the famed Gir Forests, to 674.
- “Poonam Avlokan” is a routine monthly exercise conducted for estimating the population of Asiatic lions.
Used mask disposal device “BIN-19” & “UV SPOT” launched in Kerala:
- Used mask disposal device “BIN-19” and “UV SPOT” has been launched in Kerala by VST Mobility Solutions as part of efforts to combat the COVID-19.
- These automated products would also help in preventing the environmental damages and will also solve the problem of disposal of used masks.
- “BIN-19” is a smart bin developed for the collection and disinfection of Used Face-Mask and is based on Internet of Things (IoT).
- The disinfecting device will be very handy in offices, homes, and other public places. UV SPOT is a UV light-based multipurpose disinfector having ultraviolet disinfection lamps and is capable of disinfecting a broad range of microorganisms.
Andhra Pradesh government launches ‘Jagananna Chedodu’ scheme:
- Andhra Pradesh government has launched the ‘Jagananna Chedodu’ scheme to provide financial assistance to tailors, barbers and washermen, who had lost their livelihood due to COVID-19 pandemic.
- Under the scheme, beneficiaries will be provided with one-time financial assistance of Rs. 10,000 each.
Uttarakhand opens its biggest biodiversity park in Haldwani:
- Uttarakhand forest department has opened the state’s biggest biodiversity park in Haldwani on the occasion of World Environment Day, to encourage conservation of flora, especially medicinal plants.
- The Uttarakhand Forest Research Wing Biodiversity Park is spread across 18 acres and has 40 thematic sections with around 500 species of plants.
- The plant species in the biodiversity park is divided into spiritual & religious, scientific, human health, and aesthetic value sections.
Mumbai Most Expensive Indian City For Expats, 19th Most Expensive In Asia: Survey:
- According to Mercer’s ‘2020 Cost of Living Survey’, Mumbai is the 60th most expensive city for expatriates globally, while it ranks 19th in Asia. Mumbai is followed by New Delhi (101st globally) and Chennai (143rd globally), Bengaluru (171) & Kolkata (185) are the least expensive cities.
- The global list was topped by Hong Kong, followed by Ashgabat (Turkmenistan) in second position. Japan’s Tokyo and Switzerland’s Zurich remain in the third and fourth positions.
Switzerland Safest Country In The World On COVID-19 Safety Assessment; India Ranks 56th:
- India has been ranked 56th out of 200 countries in a comprehensive report on safety and risk assessment of nations tackling Covid-19.
- Switzerland is the safest country in the world for Covid-19, followed by Germany and Israel. South Sudan is the most dangerous was ranked at 200th position.
Ukranian boxer Oleksandr Gvozdyk retires from sport:
- Oleksandr Gvozdyk, the former world light heavyweight boxing champion from Ukraine, has retired from the sport.
- He won the WBC title in December 2018 after knocking out Adonis Stevenson.
- He represented Ukraine in the light heavyweight category at the 2012 Olympics and made his country proud by winning a bronze medal.
European Cup winner Tony Dunne passes away:
- Manchester United’s European Cup-winning defender Tony Dunne passed away.
- During his 13 year stint with the club, he made 535 appearances for the Manchester United club and played an instrumental role in club’s European Cup triumph in 1968.
- The Republic of Ireland capped Tony Dunne for 33 times. He ended his football career in 1979 while playing for the American club Detroit Express.
Former member of Planning Commission, A. Vaidyanathan passes away:
- The former member of the Planning Commission, A. Vaidyanathan passed away.
- He was a member of the perspective planning division of the Planning Commission from 1962 to 1972.
- He also chaired the government of India Task Force on Revival of Cooperative Credit Institutions in 2004 and was a member of the K.N. Raj Committee on Taxation of Agricultural Income (1969-70).