Current Affairs – Daily Current Affairs 2020
S&P keeps India’s sovereign rating at “BBB-“:
- The rating agency “S&P” has kept India’s sovereign rating at “BBB-” along with a stable outlook.
- The rating agency stated that the economy and fiscal position of India will stabilise and begin to improve from 2021 onwards.
GRSE delivered ICGS Kanaklata Barua to ICG:
- Garden Reach Shipbuilders and Engineers Ltd (GRSE) has delivered ICGS Kanaklata Barua, the fifth and last boat in the series of Fast Patrol Vessels (FPV) for the Indian Coast Guard.
- This is the 105th vessel conveyed by the Defense PSU shipyard dependent on the banks of stream Hooghly.
TCS iON partners with National Skill Development Corporation:
- TCS iON has partnered with National Skill Development Corporation (NSDC).
- The partnership has been done to provide NSDC’s training partners access to the TCS iON Digital Glass Room in order to move classroom-based vocational skills training to online mode for students across the country.
- Hence, the tie-up will bolster NSDC’s online content aggregation platform “eSkill India”.
NFL ties-up with ITI to train youth in various trades:
- National Fertilizers Limited (NFL), Nangal, Punjab has tied up with Industrial Training Institutes (ITI), Nangal, Punjab to train youth in various trades.
- The partnership will give thrust to the “Skill India” initiative of the Government of India.
- As per the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU), NFL will train youth in 12 trades to enhance the chances of their employbility in heavy as well as process industry.
MHA reconstituted a new committee for the welfare of freedom fighters:
- Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) has reconstituted a new committee for the welfare of the freedom fighters.
- This committee chaired by the minister of state for home affairs G Kishan Reddy and 9 other “eminent freedom fighters” from across the country.
India records 29% increase in Asiatic Lion population:
- India has recorded a 29% increase in the population of Asiatic Lions.
- The count of Asiatic Lions has increased from 523 in 2015 to 674 in 2020, indicating a rise of 29% in lion’s population.
- Asiatic Lions are found in the wild in the Gir sanctuary in western Gujarat. The announcement was made by the Gujarat government.
GoI allocates Rs 4000 cr to State Governments under ‘PMKSY-PDMC’:
- The Government of India has allocated Rs 4000 crore to the State Governments under under ‘Per Drop More Crop’ component of Pradhan Mantri Krishi Sinchayee Yojana (PMKSY- PDMC) for the year 2020-21.
- The annual allocation of the fund will be distributed to the beneficiaries identified by the State Governments.
- To expand the coverage of Micro Irrigation in the states, a Micro Irrigation Fund corpus of Rs 5000 crore has been created with National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (NABARD).
Titan drifts away from Saturn 100 times faster than expected:
- A new study stated that Saturn’s largest moon Titan is now expanding from Saturn at a rate 100 times faster than scientists had previously predicted.
- This speed of drifting is about 4 inches every year.
- Titan was born close to the planet. But over the course of 4.5 billion years, Titan has migrated out to where it orbits currently, approximately 746,000 miles (1.2 million km) away from the planet.
IIT-BHU researchers develops face mask to annihilate pathogenic microorganisms:
- Researchers from the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT-BHU) have developed an anti-microbial five-layered face mask.
- The face mask was aimed to address a few issues to combat novel coronavirus.
- The common face mask that is available in the market currently acts as a filter to stop the entry of microbes to oral and nasal airways but does not have any effect on the microbe stuck to the mask surface.
Centre approves Rs.1,280 crore for Madhya Pradesh to implement Jal Jeevan Mission during 2020-21:
- Government of India approved the Annual Action Plan of Madhya Pradesh for 2020-21.
- The approval was decided at the National Committee chaired by Secretary, Drinking Water & Sanitation, Ministry of Jal Shakti.
- Government of India approved Rs.1,280 crore for implementation of Jal Jeevan Mission in the State in 2020-21.
QS World University Rankings 2021:
- Quacquarelli Symonds (QS) World University Ranking 2021 has released.
- Only eight Indian institutes managed to feature in the top 500 of QS World University Ranking 2021.
- IIT Bombay has dropped 20 positions from last year’s world university ranking, IISc dropped by one position, and IIT- Delhi’s rank has slipped from the previous rank of 182.
PM Modi held discussion with PM of Israel to expand cooperation in context of COVID-19 pandemic:
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi held a discussion with His Excellency Benjamin Netanyahu, PM of Israel over the telephone.
- The leaders affirmed the partnership b between India and Israel.
- PM Modi and His Excellency Benjamin Netanyahu discussed the potential areas where the countries could expand their cooperation in the context of the COVID-19 pandemic, including research and development (R&D) efforts in the fields of vaccines
IWF cleared K Sanjita Chanu from anti-doping violation:
- International Weightlifting Federation (IWF) has cleared India’s K Sanjita Chanu of anti-doping violation charges.
- The Manipur lifter had tested positive for testosterone, a banned anabolic steroid, in an out-of-competition test conducted by us Anti Doping Agency before participating within the 2017 world championships in Las Vegas.
Alexander Shustov of Russia gets 4-year ban for doping:
- The Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) has banned Former European high jump champion, Alexander Shustov for 4-years for the use or attempted use of a banned substance or method (doping).
- He won the gold medal at the European championships in 2010.
- His ban was dated from June 5, and his results were disqualified for a period from 2013 to 2017.
Burundi’s Incumbent President Pierre Nkurunziza passes away:
- The President of the Republic of Burundi, Pierre Nkurunziza passed away.
- After being in power for 15 years, Nkurunziza was due to step down in August.
- In 2015, the announcement that he would run for a third term plunged the country into chaos.
- Between 2006 and 2011, the president was known for his preaching and love of football – received seven international awards for his peace-building efforts.
DMK’s MLA J Anbazhagan passes away due to COVID-19:
- In Tamil Nadu, three-time Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (DMK) MLA J Anbazhagan passed away due to COVID-19.
- Anbazhagan represented the Chepauk-Thiruvallikeni constituency in the Assembly.
Padma Shri awardee Pritam Singh passes away:
- Former director of Indian Institute of Management (IIM) Lucknow, Pritam Singh passed away.
- He chaired the subcommittee on Institutional Management and Leadership Development in Higher Education by the 12th Planning Commission for the 5-year plan (2012-2017).
- He was a member of the Ministry of Home Affairs Committee for capacity building of IPS officers.
Television Actor Jagesh Mukati passes away:
- Television Actor Jagesh Mukati passed away due to breathing issues.
- He was renowned for working the TV shows namely Amita Ka Amit and Shree Ganesh.
- He also acted in 2014 bollywood movie “Hasee Toh Phasee” starring Parineeti Chopra & Sidharth Malhotra.