Current Affairs – Daily Current Affairs 2020
May 11 – India celebrates National Technology Day:
- India celebrated National Technology Day on 11 May to mark the successful testing of Shakti-I nuclear missile at the Indian Army’s Pokhran Test Range in Rajasthan.
- The Pokhran nuclear test was held on 11 May 1998. Shakti also knows as the Pokhran Nuclear Test was the first nuclear test code-named ‘Smiling Buddha’ was carried out in May 1974.
May 10 – Mother’s day 2020:
- Mother’s day is celebrated on every second Sunday of month of May.
- In 2020, it was celebrated on 10th May. The day is widely known to salute the motherhood, to extend the influence of mothers within the society, to extend the maternal bonds to children, etc. Mother, being a protector throughout her life loves her children unconditionally and plays a special role of a teacher, best friend and one’s who besides us under all circumstances.
SC ruling brings Cooperative Banks under “SARFAESI Act”:
- The Supreme Court of India ruling has brought the state and multi-state cooperative banks under the Securitisation and Reconstruction of Financial Assets and Enforcement of Security Interest (SARFAESI) Act, 2002.
- The Judgement was delivered by a 5-judge bench headed by Justice Arun Mishra.
- The ruling aims to remove the delays caused by going through the civil court or summary procedure under the Cooperative Societies Act.
SBI General Insurance rolls out Health Insurance Policy “Arogya Sanjeevani”:
- A standard health insurance policy named “Aarogya Sanjeevani” has been launched by the State Bank of India General Insurance.
- It provides hospitalization cover anywhere in India with sums insured ranging from Rs. 1 lakh to Rs. 5 lakh.
- It will also cover the hospitalization treatment cost of COVID–19, hence will help in making affordable health care more accessible in times like these.
“Mission Sagar” started by India to assist island nations in EIO:
- Amid the coronavirus crisis, “Mission Sagar” has been commenced by the Government of India to provide assistance to Eastern Indian Ocean Region Nations.
- Under this mission, Indian Naval Ship (INS) Kesari has been deployed, carrying on board two medical assistance teams, essential Food Items and COVID related Medicines and Special Ayurvedic Medicines to five Island countries in the Indian Ocean namely Maldives, Mauritius, Seychelles, Madagascar and Comoros.
ICMR partners with Bharat Biotech for Indian COVID-19 vaccine:
- The Indian Council for Medical Research (ICMR) has tied-up with Bharat Biotech International Limited to develop indigenous COVID-19 vaccine.
- It to be developed with the help of virus strains that have been isolated from COVD-19 patients at ICMR’s National Institute of Virology (NIV), Pune.
- ICMR has also shared one of the 11 virus strains that it managed to culture with Bharat Biotech.
Narinder Batra to serve as FIH’s President till 2021:
- Narinder Batra’s term as the President of International Hockey Federation has been extended until May 2021.
- The Executive Board of the International Hockey Federation (FIH) has also decided to postpone the 47th FIH Congress, initially planned on 28 October-1 November 2020 in New Delhi, to May 2021.
Bengaluru Launches Pranavayu Programme To Create Awareness On Need To Self-Examine Respiratory Health:
- Prana Vayu programme launched by the city Corporation in Bengaluru has been creating awareness through advertisements in media about the need to carry out self-examination for early detection of any ailment that could aggravate the situation if contracted.
- It is an attempt to help people with low oxygen level in blood.
MHRD Announces Modifications In The PMRF Scheme Boost Research In The Country:
- HRD Ministry announced amendments in the Prime Minister’s Research Fellowship Scheme including reduction in the required GATE Score & introduction of lateral entry option to attract students.
- It is also creating a dedicated Research and Innovative Division.
Tamil Nadu Forms Panel Under Ex RBI Governor C Rangarajan To Improve Fiscal Position:
- Tamil Nadu govt set up the high – level committee has 21 members to examine fiscal challenges facing the state owing to the pandemic and suggest the way forward to improve its fiscal position he committee, which will also consist of Finance Secretary S Krishnan as coordinator.
Central Board Of Direct Taxes Amends Rule 44G Of Income Tax Rules 1962:
- CBDT amended 44G of Income Tax Rules, 1962 for making an application to invoke the mutual agreement procedure in Form no. 34.
- These rules will be called Income-tax (8th Amendment) Rules, 2020.
Mahindra Launches Digital Car Buying Platform ‘Own-Online’ To Boost Sales Amid Covid-19 Crisis:
- Mahindra & Mahindra (M&M) has launched an integrated online platform that will provide end-to-end sales experience for prospective buyers amid the coronavirus pandemic.
- Under the new initiative Own-Online, a customer can finance, insure, exchange, accessories and own a company vehicle, in four simple steps, from the comfort of their homes.
Startup India-Animal Husbandry Grand Challenge Awards:
- Union Minister for Fisheries, Animal Husbandry and Dairying, Giriraj Singh has presented the award to the winners of “Startup India-Animal Husbandry Grand Challenge”.
- Value Added Products – Krushak Mitra Agro Services Pvt. Ltd., Mumbai
- Eliminating Milk Adulteration – White Gold Technologies LLP, Mumbai
- Product Traceability – EmerTech Solutions Pvt. Ltd., Mumbai
- E-commerce Solutions – MoooFarm, Gurugram, Haryana
- Breed Improvement & Animal Nutrition – Adis Technologies, Belagavi, Karnataka
WHO & UNPA releases postage stamp on anniversary of smallpox eradication:
- The World Health Organization (WHO) and United Nations Postal Administration (UNPA) have released a commemorative Postage Stamp on the 40th anniversary of the eradication of smallpox.
- The stamp serves to honour the millions of people working together, from world leaders and international organizations to rural doctors and community doctors to eradicate smallpox.
Eminent historian Hari Shankar Vasudevan passes away:
- Eminent historian Hari Shankar Vasudevan passed away due to COVID-19.
- He was renowned worldwide for his work on Russian and European history and Indo-Russian relations.
- He has also authored books such as Shadows of Substance: Indo-Russian Trade and Military-Technical Cooperation (2010), and Footsteps of Afanasii Nikitin: Travels through Eurasia and India in the Early 21st Century (2015).
Vadhan’s New Book “Fear Of God” Deals With Corruption Vigilantism Law:
- The story of “Fear of God” weaves law, corruption, vigilantism and courtroom drama to follow the three central characters who are looking to achieve the same thing but through different means.
- It is written by Vadhan, whose real name is Bommadevara Sai Chandravadhan and published by TreeShade Books
- This is Vadhan’s third novel after “Agniputr: When Agni First Spoke” and “Shatru”.
Prince Harry-Meghan Markle’s Biography ‘Finding Freedom’ To Be Published In August:
- The first biopic on Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s life, titled ‘Finding Freedom: Harry and Meghan and the Making of A Modern Royal Family’ has been topping the pre-order charts. The book would be published on August 11, 2020.
- ‘Finding Freedom’ is a biopic, written by royal reporters Omid Scobie and Carolyn Durand. The book promises to dismantle the rumours revolving around Harry, the Duke of Sussex and Meghan, the Duchess of Sussex.