Current Affairs – Daily Current Affairs 2020
May 01 – International Labour Day:
- International Labour Day is observed on May 1st to pay tribute to the contribution of workers across the world.
- It is also Maharashtra Day & Gujarat Day- on this day in 1960 the 2 states attained statehood after Bombay had been divided on linguistic lines.
- It is also known as Workers’ Day or International Workers’ Day.
May 01 – Maharashtra, Gujarat Celebrates State Formation Day:
- Maharashtra Day and Gujarat Day is celebrated in the Indian states of Maharashtra and Gujarat on 1 May every year. The day commemorates the formation of the state on this day in 1960.
- In 1960, the Bombay Reorganization Act, 1960 was passed by India’s Parliament to divide the multilingual state of Bombay into Gujarat and Maharashtra.
May 02 – World Tuna Day:
- World Tuna Day is observed globally on 2nd May every year to raise awareness about the importance of tuna fish. It was observed for the first time in 2017.
- More than 96 countries have tuna fisheries, and their capacity is constantly growing. The World Tuna Day was officially proclaimed by the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) by adopting resolution 71/124 in December 2016.
KVG bank launches “Vikas Abhaya” loan scheme:
- Karnataka Vikas Grameena Bank (KVGB) has launched ‘Vikas Abhaya’ a loan scheme to provide some relief to Micro, Small and Medium Enterprise (MSME) borrowers.
- This scheme is for those borrowers whose business activities are disrupted on account of the COVID-19 pandemic in Dharwad, Karnataka.
Extraordinary Virtual G20 Digital Economy Ministers Summit:
- An Extraordinary Virtual G20 Digital Economy Ministers summit was held under the presidency of Saudi Arabia.
- Union Minister for Law & Justice, Communications and Electronics & IT, Shri Ravi Shankar Prasad represented India in the virtual summit.
- The virtual summit also featured the participation of Digital Ministers of 19 other G20 Members, invited countries and International organizations.
Microwave steriliser “ATULYA” developed to disintegrate COVID-19:
- A microwave steriliser has been developed by the Defence Institute of Advanced Technology, Pune and named as “ATULYA”.
- The microwave steriliser will disintegrate the COVID-19 virus with the help of differential heating in the range of 56 degree to 60 degree Celsius temperatures.
- Weighing 3 kilogrammes, it can be used to sterilise non-metallic objects only within a time frame of 30 seconds to one minute.
Arvind Kumar Sharma assumes charge as Secretary to MSME Ministry:
- Arvind Kumar Sharma has assumed the charge as Secretary to the Ministry of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises.
- Before assuming charge as Secretary to MSME Ministry, he was serving as Additional Secretary in the Prime Minister’s Office (PMO).
Giridhar Aramane assumes charge as Secretary to MoRTH:
- Giridhar Aramane has assumed the charge as Secretary to the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways.
- He has replaced Sanjeev Ranjan who has been appointed as secretary in the Ministry of Shipping.
- Before assuming charge as Secretary to MoRTH, he was serving as Additional Secretary in the Cabinet Secretariat.
Indian Oil Names Shrikant Vaidya As New Chairman:
- India’s largest state-run oil refiner & fuel retailer- Indian Oil names Shrikant Madhav Vaidya as Chairman.
- Currently, he is the director of refineries in the company & will succeed Sanjiv Singh, who demits office on June 30. He is a Chemical Engineer. IOC is headquartered in New Delhi.
Shikha Sharma appointed as advisor of Google Pay India:
- Former Axis Bank CEO, Shikha Sharma named advisor to Google Pay India.
- Google Pay is one of the leading apps on Unified Payments Payments Interface (UPI), battling with the likes of Amazon Pay, Paytm, etc.
American Academy of Arts and Sciences honours Professor Shobhana Narasimhan:
- Professor Shobhana Narasimhan has been elected as an International Honorary Member to the American Academy of Arts and Sciences.
- She has been honoured for her distinguished work in the field of sciences. She has done remarkable work on the rational design of nanomaterials, determining the affect of lowering of dimensionality and reduction of size on the properties of material.
- Albert Einstein, Nelson Mandela and Charles Darwin are some of the previous International Honorary Members being honoured by the American Academy of Arts and Sciences.
Manipur black rice & Gorakhpur terracotta gets GI tag:
- Black rice of Manipur, also called the Chak-Hao, Gorakhpur Terracotta and Kadalai Mittai of Kovilpatti bagged Geographical Indication tag.
- The application for Chak-Hao was filed by the Consortium of Producers of Chak-Hao (Black Rice), Manipur and was facilitated by the Department of Agriculture, Government of Manipur and the North Eastern Regional Agricultural Marketing Corporation Limited (NERAMAC).
- In the case of Gorakhpur terracotta, the application was filed by Laxmi Terracotta Murtikala Kendra in Uttar Pradesh.
IIT Madras Professor T Pradeep selected for Nikkei Asia Prize 2020:
- An IIT Madras Professor Thalappil Pradeep has been selected for the Nikkei Asia Prize 2020.
- Professor Thalappil Pradeep will be conferred with the Nikkei Asia Prize 2020 in the category of ‘Science and Technology’.
- He would be honoured with the prize for his pioneering work in nanotechnology-based water purification.
- Science and Technology: Professor Thalappil Pradeep (India)
- Culture and Community: Ram Prasad Kadel (Nepal)
- Economic and Business Innovation: Anthony Tan (Malaysia) & Tan Hooi Ling (Malaysia)
Thangjam Dhabali Singh conferred ‘Order of Rising Sun’ by Japan:
- Manipuri doctor, Thangjam Dhabali Singh conferred ‘Order of Rising Sun’ by Japan government.
- This award is given for him to promoting a better understanding of Japan in India and deepening ties between the two countries.
“Ramayana” becomes Highest Viewed Entertainment Programme Globally:
- India’s epic mythological saga of the 1980s, ‘Ramayan’ has created the world record of Highest Viewed Entertainment Programme Globally.
- On 16th April, 2020, the mythological show was watched by 7.7 crore viewers all over the world.
Agra Smart City Of UP Launched GIS Dashboard To Monitor COVID-19 Hot-Spots:
- Agra Smart City created a GIS (Geographic Information Systems) dashboard to show various hotspots, heat maps, positive cases, recovered cases, etc of COVID-19.
- This dashboard developed on IGiS platform is an indigenous technology which brings GIS, Image Processing, Photogrammetry & CAD.
Cauvery Water Management Authority Brought Under The Jal Shakti Ministry – Central Government:
- The central government has brought the Cauvery Water Management Authority (CWMA) under the Jal Shakti Ministry, which was earlier under the Ministry of Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation.
- For NIP projects, the Centre would invest 39% of the projected expenditure while states’ share would be 40%, followed by the private sector with 21%.
AIIA organizes “AYURAKSHA” programme with Delhi Police:
- A joint programme was organized by All India Institute of Ayurveda (AIIA), under Ministry of AYUSH, and Delhi Police, with a title AYURAKSHA “Corona Se Jung: Delhi Police Ke Sang”.
- This programme was organized in New Delhi to fight against the COVID-19 by undertaking the simple and time tested Ayurveda immunity boosting measures.
MoC launches PMU for timely operationalization of coal mines:
- A Project Monitoring Unit (PMU) has been launched by the Ministry of Coal (MoC). The Project Monitoring Unit aims to facilitate early operationalization of coal mines which have been allocated by the Central Government.
- It will help the Coal mines allocates in attaining various clearances required from the Central/State government authorities in order to operationalize the mines and hence, will promote Ease of Doing Business in the coal industry.
NCSTC & DST launches “YASH” to fight against COVID-19:
- National Council for Science & Technology Communication (NCSTC) and Department of Science & Technology (DST) has launched a programme on health and risk communication ‘Year of Awareness on Science & Health (YASH)’ with focus on COVID-19.
- It is a comprehensive science and health communication initiative to promote grass-root level response on health.
Chhattisgarh gives maximum jobs under MGNREGA amid lockdown:
- Chhattisgarh has topped the list of states in terms of providing jobs under the Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act (MGNREGA) amid the nationwide lockdown due to COVID-19 pandemic.
IMD Releases New List Of Upcoming Cyclone Names Over North Indian Ocean:
- The IMD has released 169 new names for the tropical cyclones in the Indian Ocean Region. The names were contributed by 13 countries namely India, Sri Lanka, Maldives, Myanmar, Oman, Thailand, Qatar, UAE, Saudi Arabia, Yemen, Pakistan, Bangladesh & Iran.
- Indian Meteorological Department is headquartered in New Delhi.
India Installs 7.3 GW Of Solar Power In CY 2019 & Secures World’s 3rd Largest Solar Market- Mercom:
- Mercom India Research has released a data report, India Solar Market Leaderboard 2020, which reveals the solar industry market leaders that emerged during the calendar year (CY) 2019.
- India is the third-largest solar market in the world as per the report.
India Ranks 53rd In Budget Transparency, Accountability In IBP Survey:
- India has been placed at 53rd spot among 117 nations in terms of budget transparency & accountability, according to the Open Budget Survey conducted by International Budget Partnership.
- India’s Budget process bagged a transparency score of 49 out of 100. Global average transparency score is 45.
GoI increases MSP for Minor Forest Produce ranging from 16% to 66%:
- The Government of India has raised the Minimum Support Price (MSP) for Minor Forest Produce (MFP) of 49 items.
- The increase in MSP across various items of minor forest produce varies from 16% to 66%.
- The Pricing Cell set up under the Ministry of Tribal Affairs, Government of India revises the Minimum Support Price (MSP) for Minor Forest Produce (MFP) once in every 3 years.
“Kisan Sabha App” developed by CSIR-Central Road Research Institute:
- “Kisan Sabha App” has been developed by CSIR-Central Road Research Institute (CSIR-CRRI) to connect farmers to supply chain and freight transportation management system.
- The portal will be a single stop for every entity related to agriculture such as farmer who needs good price for the crops, mandi dealer who needs to connect to more farmers, and truckers who repeatedly go empty from the mandis.
- The prime objective of Kisan Sabha app is to provide the most economical as well as timely logistics help to the farmers.
Latest Current Affairs 2020
USAID Announces 3 Million USD To Support India’s Efforts To Combat COVID-19:
- The United States Agency of International Development (USAID), one of the leading aid agency of the government of United States has announced an additional grant of 3 million USD in addition to the 2.9 million USD announced to help India to fight against the COVID-19 pandemic and to fund the PAHAL project, an innovative financial platform.
FIFA launches #WeWillWin campaign to pay tribute to health workers:
- Fédération Internationale de Football Association (FIFA) has launched a campaign called “#WeWillWin”.
- Through this campaign FIFA tribute a special video to health workers and other professionals who ensure the society continues to function among COVID-19 pandemic.
- Former India football captain Bhaichung Bhutia who is also featured among 50 past and present football stars.
A Book Titled “The Room Where It Happened: A White House Memoir” Authored By John Bolton:
- A book titled “The Room Where It Happened: A White House Memoir” authored by John Bolton.
- The date of the book release has been pushed back from May 12, 2020 to June 23, 2020, on Amazon.com and Barnes & Noble bookseller company.
- The book was published by an American publishing company Simon & Schuster.
Union Culture Minister releases e-book “Prof. B.B. Lal: India Rediscovered”:
- Union Culture Minister Prahlad Singh Patel has released an e-book titled “Prof. B.B. Lal: India Rediscovered” on the occasion of centenary year of great archaeologist Professor B. B. Lal. E-book titled “Prof. B.B. Lal: India Rediscovered” has been prepared by the Ministry of culture along with Prof B B Lal Centenary Celebration Committee.
Freedom fighter & Padma Shri awardee Hema Bharali passes away:
- Freedom fighter and Padma Shri Gandhian Hema Bharali passed away at the age of 101.
- She was well known as Freedom Activist, social worker & Sarvodaya leader. She was born in Assam on 19th February 1919.
Former India football captain Chuni Goswami passes away:
- Former India Football captain Chuni Goswami passed away.
- He was the captain of Indian Football Team that won the 1962 Asian Games gold medal.
- Under his captaincy, India finished as runner-up at the Asian Cup in 1964.
Veteran anti-apartheid activist Denis Goldberg passes away:
- Veteran South African anti-apartheid activist Denis Goldberg passed away. He played an instrumental role in South African liberation struggle.
- He was sentenced with imprisonment of 22 years for his involvement with the ANC’s fight against apartheid and spent 22 years in a whites-only prison in the capital Pretoria.
- Apartheid was the racist system of oppression forced by the white minority government.