CISF to observe 2020 as ‘year of mobility’:
- The Central Industrial Security Force (CISF) will observe 2020 as the ‘year of mobility’ that will have a special focus on the creation of more residential units and implementation of various welfare measures for the troops.
- In the year 2020, the Central Industrial Security Force (CISF) will aim at creating an infrastructure for their families.
- It will also aim at focusing on sports and physical fitness leveraging modern gadgetry.
- It is essential to equip the forces with modern instruments as the force plays a major role in the security system of the country.
- They guard civil airports, nuclear power stations, mines, thermal power stations in the private domain as well.
WHO Designated 2020 As “Year Of Nurse And Midwife”:
- In the honour of 200th birth anniversary of Florence Nightingale, the World Health Organization designated the year 2020 as the “Year of Nurse and Midwife”.
- This year, WHO is to focus on nursing and midwifery in order to achieve Universal Health Coverage.
- The organization is leading the development of “World Nursing Report” that is to be launched in 2020.
- The report is first of its kind. The year is being dedicated to the midwifery as well as WHO is also a partner of The State of the World’s Midwifery Campaign.
India Gives $75 Million LoC To Cuba For Solar Parks:
- India has extended a line of credit (LoC) of USD 75 million (over Rs 500 crore) to Cuba.
- The line of credit is being provided to finance solar parks in Cuba.
- The line of credit is as per agreement signed between Export-Import Bank of India (Exim Bank) and Banco Exterior De Cuba for installation of 75 MW Photovoltaic Solar Parks in the Republic of Cuba.
- Banco Exterior De Cuba is a nominated agency of the Government of Cuba.
RBI revises supervisory framework for Urban Co-operative Bank:
- The Reserve Bank of India has revised its supervisory framework for Urban Co-operative Banks (UCBs).
- The revised framework aims to expedite resolution of UCBs experiencing financial stress.
- The revised framework stipulates the thresholds for various parameters that could trigger a corrective action by the UCBs or a supervisory action by the central bank.
- A UCB may be placed under supervisory action framework under the following conditions:
- When its Net Non-Performing Asset (NPA) exceeds 6% of its net advances.
- When its Capital to Risk (Weighted) Assets Ratio (CRAR) falls below 9%.
- When it incurs losses for two consecutive financial years or has accumulated losses on its balance sheet.
- RBI could also undertake different actions like imposition of all-inclusive directions under section 35A of the Banking Regulation Act, 1949.
- Issue of show cause notice for cancellation of banking license may also be considered by the RBI if continued normal functioning of the UCB is no longer considered to be in the interest of its depositors.
Indian Bank Signed MoU With TN’s WEWA To Provide Credit For Business Establishments:
- Indian bank has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Women Entrepreneurs Welfare Association (WEWA) of Tamil Nadu (TN) to provide training and credit linkage to its women entrepreneurs to establish business.
- The Indian bank will provide loans to the WEWA members at discounted rates
Shivalik Mercantile Co-op. Bank Ltd gets RBI’s approval to become SFB:
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has granted “in-principle” approval to Shivalik Mercantile Co-operative Bank Limited for transition into a Small Finance Bank (SFB).
- The transition into a SFB will be under the “Scheme on voluntary transition of Urban Co-operative Bank into a Small Finance Bank” issued on September 27, 2018.
- The “in-principle” approval granted will be valid for 18 months to enable the applicant to comply with the requirements under the Scheme, the Guidelines for ‘on tap’ Licensing of Small Finance Banks in the Private Sector and fulfil other conditions as stipulated by the RBI.
- On being satisfied that the applicant has complied with the requisite conditions laid down by RBI as part of “in-principle” approval, the RBI would consider granting it a licence for commencement of banking business under Section 22 (1) of the Banking Regulation Act, 1949 as a SFB.
2nd phase of Mission Indradhanush-2 begins:
- The 2nd phase of Mission Indradhanush 2.0 rolled out at block level in 35 districts of Uttar Pradesh.
- The aim of the program launched by the central government in 2017 is to achieve 90% vaccination coverage in children of less than 2 years in the state.
- Under the program around 66 thousand sessions will be organized for vaccination of more than 5.5 lakh children and around 1.3 lakh pregnant women of the state.
- The focus of immunization is on urban, underserved population and tribal areas. Intensified Mission Indradhanush will be conducted till March 2020.
Chandigarh Railway Station Is Fifth In The Country And First In North India To Inaugurate Navigation Facilities For Visually Impaired:
- Navigation facilities for visually impaired was inaugurated in Chandigarh railway station in Punjab.
- It is fifth in the country and first in North India to have this facilities for visually impaired.
Union Minister of Commerce and Industries inaugurates NSE Knowledge Hub:
- The Union Minister of Commerce and Industries inaugurated the National Stock Exchange (NSE) Knowledge Hub in New Delhi.
- The National Stock Exchange (NSE) Knowledge Hub is an Artificial Intelligence (AI) powered learning ecosystem that will assist the banking, financial services and insurance (BFSI) sector.
- The Knowledge Hub will fill in these gaps and help the financial sector to move into the future.
- It will enhance skills and help academic institutions in preparing future-ready talent for the financial service industry.
- It is also available on mobile and attempts to bring together world-class content and learners through this state- of- the- art and future-ready platform.
- This industry-driven learning eco-system will help India in building next-generation skills and capabilities in the BFSI sector.
Rajnath Singh inaugurates National Traders Convention in Delhi:
- Defence Minister inaugurated the National Traders Convention at Ramlila Maidan, Delhi.
- The convention has been organised by Confederation of All India Traders and will deliberate upon various issues concerning traders, including “onslaught of e-commerce companies on retail trade by their malpractices and violation of FDI policy”.
- The aim of this convention will be to discuss the role of the trading community in achieving a 5 trillion dollar economy goal.
Home Minister lays foundation stone of Delhi Cycle Walk:
- Union Home Minister has laid the foundation stone of Delhi Cycle Walk project.
- The project will be installed at Tughlakabad in the National Capital New Delhi.
- The project aims to make the city most walkable and environment friendly.
- Delhi Cycle Walk will have network of over 220 km.
- This cycle walk will cover abundant forests, dense residential areas and work places in close proximity in the city.
Journalists’ Day celebrated on 6th January in Maharashtra:
- Journalists’ Day is being celebrated on 6th of January every year in the state of Maharashtra.
- The day is celebrated in the memory of late thespian journalist Balshashtri Jambhekar.
- Balshastri Jambhekar, is also known as ‘The Father of Marathi Journalism’, for his efforts in starting journalism in Marathi language.
Uttar Pradesh Became 1st State To Shortlist Migrants For Citizenship:
- Uttar Pradesh (UP) became the 1st state in India to conduct an exercise to shortlist migrants from Pakistan, Bangladesh and Afghanistan for eligibility under the new Citizenship Amendment Act (CAA) 2019.
- This exercise will also eventually identify the people living illegally in UP.
Zo Kutpui Festival Organised In Mizoram:
- Mizoram State Government is organising Zo Kutpui festival across 10 states in the country and also in countries such as Myanmar, US and Bangladesh.
- Highlights The first edition of the festival is to begin in the city of Vanghmun in Tripura.
- The festival will then move to other states having Mizo population.
- By conducting such as festival, the Mizoram Government is trying to unify the Mizo population in the country and also across the world.
- The event will host performances of several Mizo tribes.
United States officially launches “US Space Force”:
- United States President Donald Trump has signed the 2020 National Defense Authorization Act.
- With the signing of the act, US has authorised the establishment of US Space Force.
- The US Space Force will become the 6th branch of the armed forces.
- Space Force would become the youngest US military branch, and the first new service since the establishment of the US Air Force back in 1947.
- The Space Force would be part of the Department of the Air Force.
- The launch of the Space Force will be funded by an initial $40m for its first year. It will be led by Air Force General Jay Raymond.
India-Russia to sign MoUs on AK-203 assault rifles:
- The Indian Army is to sign a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) for the procurement of over 7.5 lakh AK-203 assault rifles with Russia.
- The rifles will be manufactured by the Indo-Russian Rifles Private Limited (IRRPL) at Korwa in Uttar Pradesh.
- The facility is being set up between the Ordnance Factories Board (OFB) from the Indian side, and Rosoboron Exports and Kalashnikov on the Russian side.
- The OFB owns 50.5% equity and Russian side holds the remaining 49.5%. The Army has been looking to replace the indigenous INSAS (Indian National Small Arms System) rifles in use with a modern rifle.
Uber ties up with Hyundai to develop electric air taxis:
- Uber Technologies Inc and automaker Hyundai Motor have teamed up to develop electric air taxis.
- The partnership aims to make small self-flying cars to ease urban congestion.
- The team is heading towards a goal of launching Uber Air by 2023 and urban air mobility service in 2028.
- Hyundai is the first carmaker to join Uber’s air taxi project.
- Hyundai will produce and deploy the vehicles while Uber will provide aerial ride-share services. Uber has partnered with eight companies for its air taxi project.
Kochi to host Global Investors Meet: ASCEND 2020:
- Kochi, Kerala will host the Global Investors Meet: ASCEND 2020. ASCEND 2020 will showcase 18 mega projects with over Rs 100 crore investment each and offering direct employment to over 9,000 people.
- The projects include: Kochi-to-Palakkad integrated manufacturing cluster, an electronic hardware park in Ernakulam district, integrated solid-waste management systems in Thiruvananthapuram, Thrissur and Malappuram, a medium density fibreboard plant in Perumbavoor and a defence park at Ottappalam, and many other projects.
- The meet will be organised by the Industries Department. The Invest Kerala Portal: “invest.kerala.gov.in” will also be showcased at the meet.
- Invest Kerala Portal is a single-window facilitator for hassle-free investment promotion launched under its ease of doing business initiative.
Kochi to host global meet on marine ecosystem MECOS-3:
- Kochi will host the 3rd international symposium on marine ecosystems challenges and opportunities (MECOS-3) from January 7 to 10.
- This symposium will be organised by the Marine Biological Association of India.
- Eminent marine scientists, oceanographers, fisheries researchers and marine biotechnologists from across the globe are expected to participate in the third international symposium on (MECOS-3).
- The symposium is aimed at reviewing the concerns involved in the marine ecosystem and formulating strategies for the better and sustainable utilisation of marine wealth by enhancing livelihood options
Challakere to be ISRO’s astronaut training hub:
- The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) has proposed Human Space Flight Centre (HSFC) at Challakere in Chitradurga district of Karnataka.
- The facility is expected to become operational in 3 years.
- ISRO aims to establish a self-contained training facility here. At present, astronauts part of Gaganyaan Mission, the Human Spaceflight Programme of ISRO are trained in Russia.
- The centre aims at bringing in all the features that are provided by Russia and begin training astronauts within the country.
Ex-CRPF DG Rajiv Rai Bhatnagar appointed as Advisor to J&K LG:
- Former Director-General of Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) Rajiv Rai Bhatnagar has been appointed as Advisor to the Lieutenant Governor of Union Territory of Jammu and Kashmir.
- With this, the Lieutenant Governor of J&K Union Territory will have three Advisors.
- The other two Advisors: KK Sharma and Farooq Khan were appointed on November 14, 2019.
Srikkanth & Anjum Chopra To Get CK Nayudu Lifetime Achievement Award:
- Krishnamachari Srikkanth & Anjum Chopra will be conferred with the CK Nayudu Lifetime Achievement Award.
- Krishnamachari Srikkanth will be the recipient of 2019’s prestigious CK Nayudu Lifetime Award.
- Former India women’s captain Anjum Chopra is the co-recipient of the lifetime achievement award for the year 2019.
- Srikkanth and Anjum will be conferred with the Lifetime Achievement award by Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) for their contributions to Indian cricket.
Indian Girl Sucheta Satish Wins Global Child Prodigy Award 2020:
- A 13-year-old Dubai-based Indian girl Sucheta Satish has won the 100 Global Child Prodigy Award in Delhi.
- She was awarded for singing in most languages during one concert and the longest live singing concert by a child.
- Global Child Prodigy Award is a platform to showcase the talent of children in dance, music, art, writing, acting, modelling, science, sports etc.
- The award is supported by Dr APJ Abdul Kalam International Foundation and Oscar Award-winning music producer AR Rahman among others.
Bhubaneswar to host 1st edition of Khelo India University Games:
- The 1st edition of Khelo India University Games is scheduled to be held at the KIIT University in Bhubaneswar, Odisha from February 22 to March 1, 2020.
- Union Sports Minister Kiren Rijiju and Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik unveiled the logo and jersey of Khelo India University Games.
- Khelo India University Games will witness over 4,000 athletes from 100 Universities across India vying for top honours in 17 different disciplines namely archery, athletics, boxing, fencing, judo, swimming, weight-lifting, wrestling, badminton, basketball, football, hockey, table tennis, tennis, volleyball, rugby and kabaddi.
Leo Carter becomes 7th cricketer to hit six 6s in an over:
- New Zealand‘s batsman Leo Carter has become the seventh batsman in the history of cricket to smash six 6s in an over.
- He achieved the feat in New Zealand’s domestic T20 tournament Super Smash.
- Representing Canterbury, he smashed Knight’s bowler Anton Devcich for six 6s in the 16th over of the innings.
- Other 6 players who have achieved the feat are: Gary Sobers (West Indies), Ravi Shastri (India), Herschelle Gibbs (South Africa), Yuvraj Singh (India), Ross Whiteley (England) and Hazratullah Zazai (Afghanistan).
- When it comes to T20 cricket, Carter is just the fourth batsman to achieve the feat. Yuvraj is the only batsman to have scored six 6s in an international T20I.
P Magesh Chandran wins 95th Hastings International Chess title:
- India’s P Magesh Chandran wins the title in the 95th edition of the prestigious Hastings International Chess Congress at Hastings in England.
- France’s Romain Edouard, who was the only player to end the tournament a half-point behind Chandran, took the second spot.
All-Rounder Irfan Pathan Retires From All Forms Of Cricket:
- Indian all-rounder Irfan Pathan announced his retirement from all forms of cricket.
- He last played for India in October 2012. He played 29 Tests, 120 ODIs and 24 T20Is.
- He was part of the victorious Indian team at the 2007 World Twenty20 and was the man-of-the-match in the final against Pakistan.
- He made his debut at the age of 19 in 2003.
Former Karnataka Governor T N Chaturvedi Passes Away:
- Former Governor of Karnataka T N Chaturvedi passed away.
- He was the 14th Governor of Karnataka from 2002–2007.
- He also served as of Comptroller and Auditor General of India from 1984 to 1989. He was awarded the Padma Vibhushan in 1991.
NSO projects India’s GDP growth rate for 2019-20 at 5%:
- National Statistical Office (NSO) projects India’s GDP growth rate for 2019-20 at 5%.
- The decline has been mainly on account of deceleration in manufacturing sector growth, which is expected to come down to 2 per cent in 2019-20 from 6.2 per cent in the year-ago fiscal.
- The deceleration was also witnessed in sectors like agriculture, construction and electricity, gas and water supply.
2 Indian banks to end their operations in Sri Lanka:
- The two Indian private sector lenders Axis Bank and ICICI Bank to close their operations in Sri Lanka after the Central Bank of Sri Lanka has permitted.
- The licenses issued by Central Bank of Sri Lanka will be cancelled once the winding-up operations are complete.
- The two banks are no longer to carry their banking operations, including accepting deposits from the public in Sri Lanka.
RBI allows to offer 24×7 rupee trading via select banks:
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has enabled select banks in India to offer round-the-clock (24×7) trading in the Indian rupee to allow Indians to safeguard their foreign exchange (Forex) risks at any time.
- The select banks in India offered Indian customers foreign exchange rates only in inter-bank market hours from 9 am – 5 pm.
- This decision will also make the offshore currency markets in countries like Dubai & Singapore less attractive for Indian investors.
India and Oman conduct bilateral naval exercise ‘Naseem Al Bahr’:
- India and Oman will conduct 12th edition of bilateral maritime exercise ‘Naseem Al Bahr’ in Mormugao Port, Goa.
- ‘Naseem-Al-Bahr’ (or sea breeze) is a naval exercise between the Indian Navy and the RNO, being conducted since 1993.
- Indian Navy ships Beas and Subhadra and Oman Navy ships RNOV Al Rasikh and RNOV Khassab are participating in this exercise.
Indian Navy start 1st ‘Maha-Navy Connect 2020’:
- Indian Navy starts 1st Maha-Navy Connect 2020 Tri-Dimensional Expedition started from Mumbai, Maharashtra.
- The aim of the expedition is to promote the maritime heritage of India and spread awareness about Coastal Security amongst the coastal communities in Maharashtra.
- The tri-dimensional expedition consisting of yachting, running and cycling teams of 50 naval personnel. This expedition will cover more than 555kms from Maharashtra’s northernmost fort Arnala to its southernmost Sindhudurg fort.
Home Minister Lays Foundation Stone Of Delhi Cycle Walk:
- Union Home Minister has laid the foundation stone of Delhi Cycle Walk project.
- The project will be installed at Tughlakabad in the National Capital New Delhi.
- The project aims to make the city most walkable and environment friendly. Delhi Cycle Walk will have network of over 220 km.
- This cycle walk will cover abundant forests, dense residential areas and workplaces in close proximity in the city.
Navigation Facilities For Visually Impaired Inaugurated At Chandigarh Railway Station:
- Navigation facilities for visually impaired were inaugurated at Chandigarh railway station in Punjabyesterday.
- This facility has been introduced by the Indian Railway Stations Development Corporation through NGO ‘Anuprayaas’.
- Chandigarh is fifth Railway station in the country and first in North India to have this facility.
- This step will help visually impaired passengers to know about the passenger amenities at the Chandigarh Railway Station
J&K has registered highest IPD care in the country:
- Jammu and Kashmir has registered the highest Inpatient Department, IPD care in the country.
- According to the report released by the National Health Systems Resource Centre (NHSRC), New Delhi.
- As per the report, the 96% IPD care in rural areas of J&K is provided by Public Health Facilities.
- This facility is highest against the country’s average of 85%.
Himachal Pradesh Gov. launches “Himachal MyGov” portal & “CM App”:
- The Himachal Pradesh Government has introduced a portal “Himachal MyGov” and become 11th state in India to have this facility.
- The portal aims to boost public participation in the governance process. With the help of portal, public will be able to communicate their views, suggestions, feedback as well discontentment to the state government.
- This will help the government to formulate policies and programs and make them more effective and result oriented.
- State also launched “CM App” which is a platform through which people of the state can write directly to the Chief Minister regarding their complaints.
31st International Kite Festival begins in Ahmedabad:
- The 31st International Kite Festival has been launched at Sabarmati river front in Ahmedabad, Gujarat.
- Ahmedabad is hosting this festival since 1989.
- A large number of kite artists from across the world are participating in the festival to exhibit their skills.
- The festival is also taking place at nine other places across the state including Statue of Unity-Kevadiya, Surat and Vadodara.
4th ‘Buxa Bird Festival’ kicks off in West Bengal:
- The 4th edition of ‘Buxa Bird Festival’ has started in Buxa National Park in West Bengal’s, district Alipurduar.
- More than 50 birdwatchers from pan India and abroad have registered in the festival.
- Over 300 rare species including the Sultan Tit, Greater Spotted Eagle and Great Hornbill visit the national park during this festival.
Vikram Sarabhai Children Innovation Center to be set up in Gujarat:
- The Vikram Sarabhai Children Innovation Center (VSCIC) will be set up in Gujarat.
- The Vikram Sarabhai Children Innovation Center (VSCIC) will identify, nurture and promote innovative abilities of children in the state.
- The above announcement was made during the Children’s Innovation Festival (CIF) taking place in Gandhinagar, Gujarat.
- Only School-going children up to 18 years old were allowed to participate in the Children’s Innovation Festival (CIF).
- The CIF is being organized by Gujarat University Start-ups and Entrepreneurship Council (GUSEC). GUSEC is an incubation centre created by Gujarat University in collaboration with UNICEF.
UAE Cabinet validates Multi-entry Tourist Visa valid for 5 years:
- The UAE Cabinet has validated the Multi-entry Tourist Visa which would be valid for 5 years.
- The Multi-entry Tourist Visa facility would be available for all nationalities visiting the UAE.
- The decision was taken in the UAE’s Cabinet meeting which was held at the Presidential Palace in Abu Dhabi.
- The decision has been made to boost the UAE’s tourism economy.
- It also aims to stabilise UAE’s position as a global tourist destination. “Visa waiver” for Mexican citizens visiting the UAE was also introduced during the meeting.
- The above decisions taken during the meeting will be made effective during the first quarter of 2020.
Indian High Commission organizes “Art Exhibition” in Bangladesh:
- The Indian High Commission has organized the “Art Exhibition” in Dhaka, Bangladesh.
- The “Art Exhibition” has been organized to commemorate the 150th birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi.
- The art exhibition constituted unique photographs of Mahatma Gandhi from his initial days in South Africa to numerous movements he participated in India.
World Cup winner Daniele De Rossi from Italy retires from football:
- Italian Veteran footballer Daniele De Rossi announced his retirement. He won the 2006 world cup title for Italy after defeating France.
- He has played 117 games for Italy from 2004-17.
‘Karmayoddha Granth’: A book on the life of PM Narendra Modi launched:
- Union Home Minister released a book ‘Karmayoddha Granth’ on the life of Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
- A ‘Karmayoddha’ is a man with a beating heart for people, a statesman, a hard taskmaster, an able administrator and an ideal leader who leads by example.
- All these qualities have been personified by Narendra Modi.
Lieutenant General P N Hoon Passes Away:
- Lieutenant General Hoon served India with utmost dedication and contributed significantly towards making the nation stronger and more secure.
- He said, his thoughts are with his family and friends in this sad hour.
1966 World Cup Goalkeeper Tilkowski Of Germany Passed Away At The Age Of 84:
- Former West Germany football Goalkeeper Hans Tilkowski passed away at the age of 84 due to old age ailments.
- He played in the 1996 world cup against England. He was born in Dortmund-Husen, Germany.
January 09 – 16th Pravasi Bhartiya Divas:
- Pravasi Bharatiya Divas (PBD) is celebrated on 9th January every year.
- This year the 16th edition of Pravasi Bhartiya Divas is celebrated across the country.
- The day is celebrated every year to mark the contribution of the overseas Indian community in the development of India.
- It also commemorates the return of Mahatma Gandhi from South Africa to India on 9 January 1915.
- The Pravasi Bharatiya Divas conventions established in 2003. The celebratory event is organised by the Ministry of External Affairs every year.
- In this occasion, President of India conferred Pravasi Bharatiya Samman to NRIs or PIOs (Person of Indian Origin) or an organization established by NRIs or PIOs, who have made a significant contribution in supporting, promoting and building India’s links overseas.
State Bank of India has announces RBBG scheme:
- The State Bank of India has announced ‘residential builder finance with buyer guarantee’ (RBBG) scheme.
- The aim of the scheme is to giving a push to residential sales and improve homebuyers’ confidence.
- The SBI will issue a guarantee for completion of select residential projects to customers who have availed home loans from it.
- The scheme will focus on affordable housing projects priced up to 2.50 crore rupees in 10 cities initially.
- Under this scheme, the guarantee would be given by the bank until the project gets the occupation certificate (OC).
Deutsche Bank projects India’s economy to reach $7 trillion by 2030:
- Deutsche Bank has projected that Indian economy will reach $7 trillion by 2030.
- The estimation was stated by Deutsche Bank in its research report “Imagine 2030”.
- According to the report, India will grow with the Nominal GDP growth rate of just over 10% in the next decade.
- Indian economy is presently valued at $3 trillion.
US Armed Forces & Pentagon designated as ‘terrorist entities’ by IRAN:
- The Iranian parliament has designated US Armed Forces & Pentagon as ‘Terrorist Entities’ with a motion passed at an open parliament session.
- It also seeks the allocation of 200 Million Euros to the Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) Quds Force.
- The allocation to the IRGC Quds Force could be used avenge the assassination of Lieutenant General Qassem Soleimani, Iraq’s Popular Forces Commander Abu Mahdi al-Modandis and eight other military men.
India listed as 5th biggest Geo-political Risk of 2020:
- India under Prime Minister Narendra Modi has been listed as the 5th biggest Geo-political Risk of 2020.
- The listing was done by Eurasia Group in its report.
- The report states ‘Top 10 Risks’ of the year 2020.
- Top 10 Risks of 2020:
- RIGGED!: WHO GOVERNS THE US?
- THE GREAT DECOUPLING
- MNCS NOT TO THE RESCUE
- INDIA GETS MODI-FIED
- GEOPOLITICAL EUROPE
- POLITICS VS. ECONOMICS OF CLIMATE CHANGE
- SHIA CRESCENDO
- DISCONTENT IN LATIN AMERICA
- The Eurasia Group releases its ‘Top 10 Risks’ of the Year report annually considering one of the principal geopolitical indicators among global investors, multinational firms and various financial and business consultancies.
Ukrainian aircraft boarding 176 people crashes in Iran:
- The Ukrainian aircraft “Boeing 737” boarding 176 people crashed in Tehran, Iran.
- The aircraft crashed shortly after taking off from Imam Khomeini International Airport located in Tehran, Iran.
- Flight data from the airport indicated the obstruction in communication with the aircraft as fire strucked one of its engines and pilot lost the control of the aircraft.
Institutions at GAU to get status of Institution of National Importance:
- The union cabinet granted the approval making the status of Institution of National Importance to a cluster of Ayurvedic institutions at Gujarat Ayurved University in Jamnagar.
- With the (INI) status, Jamnagar Ayurveda University will become the first Ayurveda institute to join the ranks of the IIT’s and AIIMS.
- The status of the institution will provide it with the autonomy to upgrade the standard of Ayurveda education, frame various courses in Ayurveda as per national and international demand.
Government authorizes Rs 5559 cr for Indradhanush gas grid project:
- The Union Government has authorized the amount of Rs 5559 crore for 1656 Km long Indradhanush Natural Gas Pipeline Grid project.
- The amount will be provided as Viability Gap Funding (VGF).
- The amount will be used to set up Natural Gas Pipeline Grid connecting 8 North Eastern states.
- The 8 North Eastern states includes: Assam, Arunachal Pradesh, Meghalaya, Manipur, Mizoram, Nagaland, Tripura and Sikkim.
- The total expenditure of the project is estimated as Rs 9,256 crore and the above sanctioned amount is expected to cover 60% of the project.
- The Indradhanush Gas Grid project is expected to provide natural gas to different types of customers and will also reduce the dependence on liquid fuels.
Kerala State Youth Commission to conduct Adalat for the LGBT community:
- The Kerala State Youth Commission has scheduled a state-level Adalat to be held at Thiruvananthapuram.
- It aims to encourage the transgender community to open up about various issues faced by them and for speedy grievance redressal.
- This is the first time such an event is organized in the State. Adalat is exclusively for the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) community
Maharashtra CM to inaugrates “Advantage Maharashtra expo 2020”:
- Maharashtra Chief Minister Uddhav Thackeray will inaugurate “Advantage Maharashtra expo 2020” in Aurangabad.
- The Exhibition has been organised by the Marathwada Association of Small Scale Industries and Agriculture (MASSIA).
- This Exhibition showcase the growth of Marathwada industries in technology and innovation and the products produced and exported from the region will be showcased in this exhibition.
- This exhibition will provide an opportunity for businesses and will serve the platform for small entrepreneurs.
CCEA approves disinvestment of 4 CPSEs & 2 State PSUs in NINL:
- The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA) has given its ‘in principle’ approval for strategic disinvestment of 4 Central Public Sector Enterprises (CPSEs) & 2 Odisha State PSUs in Neelachal Ispat Nigam Limited (NINL).
- NINL is a Joint Venture company in which 4 CPSEs & 2 State PSUs have equity shareholding.
- The 4 CPSEs includes Minerals & Metals Trading Corporation (MMTC), MECON, Bharat Heavy Electricals (BHEL) and National Mineral Development Corporation (NMDC).
- 2 Odisha State PSUs includes Industrial Promotion and Investment Corporation of Odisha (IPICOL) and Odisha Mining Corporation (OMC).
- The advances from the disinvestment are expected to finance the development programmes of the Govenrment launched for the public.
India, France agreement on ratification of Migration and Mobility Partnership get approval:
- The Union Cabinet chaired by the PM Narendra Modi approved the ratification of the Migration and Mobility Partnership agreement signed between India and France.
- The agreement was signed in March 2018 during the State Visit of the French President Emmanuel Macron to India.
India hosts 5th Asia Pacific drosophila research conference in Pune:
- The 5th edition of the Asia Pacific Drosophila Research Conference (APDRC5) held in Pune, Maharashtra.
- The conference is being conducted in India for the 1st time.
- It is organised by the Indian Institute of Science Education and Research (IISER).
- The aims of the conference are to promote the interaction of Drosophila researchers in the Asia-Pacific region with their peers in the rest of the world.
- It will bring together scientists from all over the world who use the fruit fly, Drosophila, as a model organism to address basic and applied questions.
Visakhapatnam to host naval event MILAN:
- Visakhapatnam, the City of Destiny is to host MILAN 2020. The International Naval event has been scheduled to be held in March 2020.
- Vice Admiral SN Ghormade, Chief of Staff ENC reviewed the preparations at the Eastern Naval Command (ENC) on 7 January 2020.
- The review meeting included site visits of the venues by the Nodal officers from the Navy and the stakeholder organizations that participate in the event. MILAN 2020: MILAN 2020 is a multilateral naval exercise.
The 8th edition of Odisha MSME International Trade Fair began:
- The 8th edition of Odisha Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSME) International Trade Fair 2020 began in Bhubaneswar, Odisha.
- It was inaugurated by Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik inaugurated
Scientists developed a viable scientific method to cultivate Indian Pompano fish in ponds:
- For the first time in India, the Central Marine Fisheries Research Institute (CMFRI) has developed a viable scientific method to cultivate Indian Pompano fish in ponds.
- Pompanos are marine fishes. The Indian government began the scientific study on Pompano in 2014.
The method will be of an alternative to shrimp. The funding was provided by the National Fisheries Development Board (NFDB).
A Sakthivel appointed as the new chairman of AEPC India:
- A Sakthivel has been appointed as the new chairman of Apparel Export Promotion Council of India (AEPC) for the period 2020-21.
- He will replace HKL Magu. He is also the first person in the history of AEPC, who is sworn-in for the fourth time as Chairman of the AEPC.
Former PM Zoran Milanovic wins croatia presidential election:
- Former Prime Minister Zoran Milanovic belongs Social Democratic Party(SDP) won Croatia’s presidential election.
- He defeated centre-right incumbent Kolinda Grabar-Kitarovic, who was the first female president of Croatia.
Jasbinder Bilan wins 2019 Costa Children’s Award:
- Jasbinder Bilan has won the UK based Costa Children’s Award 2019 . She has won the award for her debut novel ‘Asha and the Spirit Bird’.
- She will receive 5,000 pounds as prize money associated with the award. Jasbinder’s novel “Asha and the Spirit Bird” was shortlisted from 144 other entries.
- The Costa Children’s Award is awarded annually in 5 categories: First Novel, Novel, Biography, Poetry and Children’s Book.
Women weightlifter Sarbjeet Kaur banned for 4 years by NADA:
- Indian women weightlifter Sarbjeet Kaur has been banned for 4 years from the sport by the National Anti Doping Agency (NADA).
- This ban was imposed on her for involving in doping violation.
- The sample of Sarbjeet was collected during 34th Women Senior National Weightlifting Championship held at Vishakhapatnam.
- The Agency found him guilty of anti-doping rule violation.
Fouaad Mirza became the first Indian to qualify for the Tokyo Olympics after 2 decades:
- Indian equestrian Fouaad Mirza became the first Indian to qualify for the Tokyo Olympics officially.
- He ended a wait spanning two decades. International Federation for Equestrian Sports (FEI) issued the latest rankings that included all results between 1 January 2019 to 31 December 2019.
- Mirza’s qualification to enter the Tokyo Games was confirmed in the issue. The riders competed the 4-star level tournaments to qualify for the Olympics.
Harshvardhan Sadgir won the 2020 Maharashtra Kesari title:
- Indian wrestler Harshvardhan Sadgir won the Maharashtra Kesari title in the 63rd wrestling event at Balewadi near Pune on 7 January 2020.
- He defeated his opponent Shailesh Shelek of Latur to claim the title.
- 63rd wrestling event: Maharashtra Kesari wrestling competition is organized by Maharashtra State Wrestlin