Supreme Court allows centre to introduce African cheetah to suitable habitat in India:
- Supreme Court allowed the Centre to introduce the African cheetah to suitable habitat in India.
- The court decision followed a petition filed by the National Tiger Conservation Authority (NTCA) seeking permission for the introduction of the African cheetah from Namibia as rare Indian cheetah is almost extinct in the country.
Union Government targets to install 175 Giga Watt renewable energy by 2022:
- The Union Government planned to install 175 Giga Watt renewable energy by 2022 to build a healthy planet with a less carbon-intensive economy.
- Pradhan Mantri Kisan Urja Suraksha Evam Utthan Mahabhiyan Pradhan Mantri Kisan Urja Suraksha Evam Utthan Mahabhiyan, PM-KUSUM scheme government, empowers the farmers to be the producer of energy.
Indian Railways to run 100 percent on electricity by 2024:
- Union Minister Shri Piyush Goyal planned to switch Indian Railways entirely to electricity by 2024 as diesel locomotives are steadily being shunted out of service. The Indian railway to run on 100 percent electricity.
- It will be the first railway network in the world to be run on 100 percent electricity. This railway forum was organized during Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro.
Country’s first Super Fab Lab inaugurated by Kerala CM:
- Chief Minister of Kerala Pinarayi Vijayan inaugurates India’s 1st Super Fab Lab in Kochi, Kerala.
- The Super Fab Lab is being installed in collaboration with KSUM (Kerala Startup Mission). The laboratory will break down barriers between the physical world and the digital world.
Shiv Bhojan Scheme launched by Maharashtra Government:
- Maharashtra government launched ‘Shiv Bhojan’ scheme.
- The scheme aims to provide a meal to the poor for just 10 rupees, on the occasion of the 71st Republic Day.
Andhra Pradesh assembly adopts resolution to abolish Legislative Council:
- Andhra Pradesh (AP) cabinet has adopted a resolution to abolition the legislative council, which the government feels is a major hurdle for passing crucial bills. This cabinet chaired by the chief minister (CM) YS Jaganmohan Reddy.
West Bengal becomes fourth state to pass resolution on CAA in house:
- Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee urged the Party of India (Marxist) or CPI (M) and Congress to put aside with Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) government at the Centre.
- West Bengal became the fourth state to pass an assembly resolution against the Citizenship (Amendment) Act (CAA).
- The National Population Register (NPR) and the proposed pan-India National Register of Citizens (NRC) and the CAA are related.
Britain unveils 50 pence coin minted to mark Brexit:
- Britain unveils a new 50 pence coin minted to mark the country’s departure from the European Union who bears the inscription Peace, prosperity, and friendship with all nations and the Brexit date of 31 January 2020.
- The three million of the coins be distributed from banks, post offices, and shops. The finance ministry planned to mint a coin inscribed on 29 March 2019, the original date of Brexit, before Britain asked to extend its EU membership.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi attends the National Cadet Corps Rally in Delhi:
- Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi attends the National Cadet Corps Rally in Delhi.
- Prime Minister inspected the Guard of Honour and reviewed the March Past by the various NCC contingents and also from Cadets from other friendly and neighboring countries.
- NCC cadets also presented before the Prime Minister their capabilities in fields such as adventure sports, music and performance arts. Prime Minister distributed awards for the meritorious NCC cadets.
Global Potato Conclave 2020:
- The 3rd Global Potato Conclave-2020 begins today at Gandhinagar, Gujarat.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi will inaugurate the conclave through video conferencing. The Conclave will provide an opportunity to bring all stakeholders at one common platform.
- Gujarat is one of the leading producers of Potato in the country.
Qatar names Sheikh Khalid bin Khalifa bin Abdelaziz Al Thani new Prime Minister:
- Qatar appointed a new Prime Minister replacing Sheikh Abdullah bin Nasser bin Khalifa Al Thani.
- The Sheikh Khalid bin Khalifa bin Abdelaziz Al Thani named as the new Prime Minister. Prime Minister has submitted his resignation. The state-run Qatar News Agency reported that no reason for the change had specified.
Taranjit Singh Sandhu appointed as India’s Ambassador to USA:
- Senior diplomat Taranjit Singh Sandhu appointed as India’s Ambassador to the USA the Ministry of External Affairs.
- Taranjit Singh Sandhu Sandhu, a 1988-batch Indian Foreign Service officer, is currently posted as High Commissioner of India in Sri Lanka.
- He replaces Harsh Vardhan Shringla as India’s envoy in Washington. Shringla named as India’s next foreign secretary.
Sunil Mehta takes charge as IBA Chief Executive:
- Indian Bank Association (IBA) appoints Punjab National Bank’s former MD and CEO Sunil Mehta as its chief executive.
- Mehta recently retired as the Managing Director and CEO of Punjab National Bank.
- He has succeeded VG Kannan, who demitted once as chief executive of IBA on December 31, 2019.
- Indian Banks Association Indian Banks Association formed on 26 September 1946 as a representative body of management of banking in India operating in India.
Slovenian PM Marjan Sarec resigns:
- Prime Minister of Slovenian Marjan Sarec announced his resignation and called for new elections as the country’s coalition struggles with political deadlock.
- He is Slovenia’s youngest-ever Prime Minister.
Jal Jeevan Mission tableau awarded as the best tableau in Republic Day Parade 2020:
- Ministry of Jal Shakti – the union government’s new initiative Jal Jeevan Mission.
- Aim: The Functional Household Tap Connection (FHTC) to every rural household by 2024, has been adjudged the best tableau, jointly with the NDRF tableau.
- Defence Minister Shri Rajnath Singh awarded the best tableau award to the Jal Jeevan Mission (JJM) tableau in a gracious and befitting ceremony.
Assam tableau won first prize at 71st Republic Day parade:
- Defence Minister Rajnath Singh gave away Best Tableaux awards for Republic Day Parade 2020.
- The event took place in New Delhi.
- Assam’s Tableau Assam’s tableau, which portrayed the unique craftsmanship and culture of the state chosen as the best tableau, followed by Odisha and Uttar Pradesh tied for the second position.
- The Assam tableau showcased various dance forms of the country, especially the Bhortal dance of Assam.
Dr.N Kumar conferred with Harit Ratna Award 2019:
- Dr N Kumar, Vice-Chancellor of Tamil Nadu Agricultural University, has been conferred ‘Harit Ratna Award 2019’.
- This award is organised by the All India Agricultural Students Association.
Meerut to house India’s first war memorial for animals:
- Government of India is a plan to set up a war memorial for animals in Meerut, Uttar Pradesh.
- It will be India’s first animal war memorial. The memorial will come up at the Remount and Veterinary Corps (RVC) Centre and College in Meerut.