January 27 – International Day Of Commemoration:
- International Holocaust Remembrance Day is an international Memorial Day on 27 January commemorating the tragedy of the Holocaust that occurred during the Second World War.
- Theme – “75 years after Auschwitz – Holocaust Education and Remembrance for Global Justice”.
China Now World’s Second Biggest Weapons Producer – SIPRI:
- China Ranked World’s Second Largest Arms Producer Trailing Behind US.
- Stockholm International Peace Research Institute (SIPRI) has hinted on China being world’s second largest producer of munitions.
- The report notes however that the lack of transparency remains an “important caveat” when studying the Chinese arms industry.
India’s 1st e-waste clinic opens in Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh:
- India’s first e-waste clinic is being opened in Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh. The e-waste clinic was inaugurated by C K Mishra (Secretary to the Ministry of Environment, Forest & Climate change, MoEFCC).
- The e-waste clinic is jointly set up by the Central Pollution Control Board-CPCB and Bhopal Municipal Corporation-BMC.
West Bengal emerges at the top in vegetable production:
- West Bengal emerged as the top State in vegetable production in 2018-19. West Bengal has overtaken Uttar Pradesh.
- Andhra Pradesh continued to hold on to the pole position in fruits with 17.61 mt, followed by Maharashtra (10.82 mt) and Uttar Pradesh (10.65 mt).
National Integration Camp Highlighting ‘Ek Bharat, Shrestha Bharat’ Scheme Begins In Madurai, Tamil Nadu:
- Five-day National Integration Camp, highlighting the Central Government’s ‘Ek Bharat, Shrestha Bharat’ scheme has begun in Madurai, the Cultural Capital of Tamil Nadu.
- Rural artists from more than 16 States and Union Territories are attending the camp, during which they will be showcasing their unique talents as well as getting acquainted with art forms from other parts of the country.
- Orientation trips to nearby places of cultural importance and afforestation programmes are also being arranged as part of the camp.
- Cultural links between and its ‘Ek Bharat, Shrestha Bharat’ partner Jammu Kashmir – Ladakh are also being highlighted in the camp activities.
First-Ever Carnival Of Peace And Harmony Held In Shillong:
- Shillong witnessed the 1st-ever carnival of peace & harmony as part of the weeklong Meghalaya Day Celebrations.
- Carnival procession passed through the busy streets of Shillong city showcasing different ethnic communities of the State & neighbouring areas.
- Meghalaya Chief Minister-Conrad K Sangma.
World’s Largest Meditation Centre Coming Up In Hyderabad:
- The world’s largest meditation centre and the global headquarters of the Heartfulness Institute will be inaugurated on January 28.
- To mark the 75th anniversary of the organisation, Kanha Shanti Vanam- spread over 30 acres-will be dedicated to Lalaji.
- It can accommodate 100,000 practitioners at one go.
Aunties, Uncles, Tube Lights Among 26 New Indian Words In Oxford Dictionary:
- Aunties, uncles & tube lights have made it to the latest edition of Oxford dictionary, with 26 new Indian English words being added to a total of 384 existing ones.
- 10th edition of the Oxford Advanced Learner’s Dictionary come with an Indian English label.
- Oxford Dictionaries Hindi Word of the Year for 2018-Nari Shakti.
Qatar Signs $470 Million Solar Deal:
- Gas-rich Qatar signed a $470-million deal to build its first solar energy plant, capable of meeting up to one-tenth of peak national power demand.
- The Al-Kharsaah plant near Doha is a 10-square-kilometre joint venture with French and Japanese partners.
- Production capacity will be around 800 MW and 10%of peak demand.
India & WB Signed $210 Million Loan Pact For Maharashtra’s Agri & Rural Transformation Project:
- Govt of Maharashtra and the World Bank(WB) signed a loan agreement of $210 million for Maharashtra’s Agribusiness & rural transformation project.
- This project will help the farmers in Maharashtra to take part in competitive agriculture value chains, enhance agribusiness investments thereby increasing productivity of commodities.
‘Innovation Festival’ begins at Science Centre in Itanagar:
- The ‘Innovation Festival’ kicked off at the Science Centre in Itanagar, Arunachal Pradesh.
- The festival is being organized by the Arunachal Pradesh State Council for Science & Technology in collaboration with the National Innovation Foundation.
Government announces sale of 100% stake in debt-laden Air India:
- The government of India announced a sale of 100% stake in debt-laden Air India. As part of the strategic disinvestment and has set March 17, as the deadline for submitting an expression of interest (EoI).
Western Union Joins Hands With Airtel Payments Bank & Airtel Africa For Money Transfer Service:
- Western Union Company, a leader in cross-border, cross-currency money movement and payments, has partnered with India’s largest integrated telecommunications services company , Bharti Airtel’s 2 arms– Airtel Payments Bank & Airtel Africa Plc, to enable millions of latter’s customers in India to receive international remittances in their bank accounts & and Mobile Wallets across 14 countries in Africa.
Government Announces 141 Padma Awards For This Year On Occasion Of 71st Republic Day:
- The government has announced 141 Padma Awards for this year on the occasion of 71st Republic Day. The list comprises of 7 Padma Vibhushan, 16 Padma Bhusan and 118 Padma Shri awards.
- 34 awardees are women and 18 foreigners.
- 12 persons are awarded posthumously.
- Former Union Ministers George Fernandes, Sushma Swaraj and Arun Jaitley will be awarded Padma Vibhushan.
- Former Chief Minister of Goa Manohar Parrikar and Legal luminary and educator NR Madhava Menon to be conferred Padma Bhushan posthumously. Eminent Writer Manoj Das, Shuttler PV Sindhu, industrialist Anand Mahindra will get Padma Bhushan.
- Footballer Oinem Bembem Devi, Film Director Karan Johar, Actress Kangna Ranaut will get Padma Shri.
- Several unsung heroes like Jagdish Lal Ahuja, Javed Ahmad Tak, Tulasi Gowda, Mohammed Sharif, Satyanayana Mundayoor, S Ramakrishna and Yogi Aeron have been selected for Padma Shri.
U’khand’s DMMC Gets Subhash Chandra Bose Aapda Prabandhan Puraskar:
- Uttarakhand, Disaster Mitigation and Management Centre (in the institution category) and Kumar Munnan Singh (individual category) have been selected for the Subhash Chandra Bose Aapda Prabandhan Puraskar 2020.
Eminent journalist N Ram honoured by Kerala Media Academy:
- The chairman of “The Hindu Group” N. Ram has been selected as the outstanding media person in a national award instituted by Kerala Media Academy.
India’s Federation Cup Games Moved From Virus-Hit China To Kazakhstan:
- Indian Federation Cup team today heaved a sigh of relief after the International Tennis Federation (ITF) shifted the Federation Cup matches from the Coronavirus-hit China to Kazakhstan.
- Concerned for its players’ health due to a medical emergency in China, the All India Tennis Association (AITA) had written to the ITF, requesting the world governing body to consider either shifting the venue or postponing the tournament.
- The tournament was originally scheduled to be held in Dongguan from 4th of next month.
Tennis Player Joao Souza Of Brazil Banned For Life Due To Match-Fixing:
- Tennis Integrity Unit (TIU), which is responsible for investigating match fixing in tennis, Joao Olavo Soares de Souza (31), a former Brazilian professional tennis player has been banned for life due to match fixing and corruption.
- It also fined Souza with $200,000.
NBA legend Kobe Bryant passes away:
- National Basketball Association (NBA) legend Kobe Bryant passed away in a helicopter crash with his 13-year-old daughter Gianna.
- Bryant was a 5-time NBA champion and 2-time Olympic gold medallist is widely regarded as one of the greatest basketball players in history.
Noted artist and sculptor Sher Singh Kukkal passes away:
- Noted artist and sculptor Sher Singh Kukkal passed away.
- He was awarded Senior Fellowship in Visual Art Photography by Union Ministry Of Culture during 2008-09.