January 26 – International Customs Day:
- International Customs Day (ICD) is observed on 26 January every year. The day recognizes the role of custom officials and agencies in maintaining border security.
- The day marks the anniversary of the formation of the Customs Co-operation Council (CCC).
On this day, the customs agencies hold employee appreciation events. The agencies recognize the custom officers for their exemplary service.
January 26 – Republic Day:
- Republic Day is celebrated on 26 January every year. India celebrates 71st Republic Day on 26 January 2020.
- It marks the day when India declared itself a Sovereign, Democratic and Republic state. Republic Day is a national holiday in India.
- The Republic day is celebrated with the salute of 21 guns in New Delhi before the President of India.
Rajesh Kumar Chaturvedi inaugurates 2020 Bharat Parv:
- The annual event Bharat Parv begins from 26-31 January in Delhi. The event is being organized by the Ministry of Tourism.
- The event was inaugurated by Secretary & Financial Adviser of Ministry of Tourism Shri Rajesh Kumar Chaturvedi at Red fort ground in New Delhi.
- Aim: The main objective of Bharat Parv is to encourage Indians to visit different tourist places of India and to inculcate the spirit of Dekho Apna Desh.
India signs 15 MoU with Brazil including Cyber Security:
- During the visit of Brazilian President Jair Messias Bolsonaro to India, 15 agreements were signed between India and Brazil in various fields on 25 January 2020.
Researchers discovered a new species of Allosaurus in Utah:
- Paleontologists have unveiled a remarkable new species of the meat-eating dinosaur at the Natural History Museum of Utah.
- It is suspected that the species must have evolved at least 5 million years earlier than fragilis.
- The new meat-eating species has been named dinosaur Allosaurus jimmadseni.
Diplomat Joao Vale de Almeida is appointed as first post-Brexit UK ambassador:
- Portuguese diplomat Joao Vale de Almeida was appointed as the head of future EU diplomatic mission to the UK after Brexit on 24 January.
- The UK’s exit was scheduled for 31 January 2020.
- Joao Vale de Almeida: Almeida will head the first EU delegation to the UK as of the first day of February. Joao Vale de Almeida is an experienced EU diplomat.
President Kovind awarded Police Medal for Gallantry for RPF, RPSF:
- President Ram Nath Kovind awarded Police Medal for Gallantry (PMG), President’s Police Medal (PPM) for Distinguished Services and Police Medal (PM) for Meritorious Services to the Railway Protection Force (RPF) and Railway Protection Special Force (RPSF) personnel on the occasion of Republic Day 2020.