January 23 – Subhash Chandra Bose Jayanti:
- Subhash Chandra Bose Jayanti is celebrated on 23 January 2020. The day marks the 124th birth anniversary of Bose. Subhash Chandra Bose’s birth anniversary commemorates his contribution to India’s struggle for independence.
- Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose was born in Cuttack, Odisha on 23 January 1897. He ranked second in the matriculation examination and fourth in the Indian Civil Services (ICS) examination.
UN lowers India’s growth forecast for FY20 to 5.7%:
- The United Nations has lowered India’s GDP growth rate to 5.7% for the Fiscal Year 2019-20 in its World Economic Situation and Prospects (WESP) 2020 report.
- UN has lowered the growth rate to 5.7% from 7.6% which it projected in its WESP 2019 report.
NPCI Launches Blockchain-Based Vajra Platform To Secure Payments:
- The National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) has launched a blockchain-technology based payment system ‘Vajra Platform’.
IMF lowers India’s 2019 growth forecast to 4.8% from 6.1%:
- The International Monetary Fund (IMF) has estimated India’s growth rate for the fiscal year 2019 as 4.8%.
- IMF has also projected India’s growth rate as 5.8% in 2020 and 6.5% in 2021.
India achieved complete phase out of ozone depleting chemicals:
- India has successfully achieved the complete phase-out of Hydrochlorofluorocarbon (HCFC)-141 b.
- HCFC-141b is not produced in India and all the domestic requirements are met through imports. The government announced the prohibition of the import of HCFC-141 b and has completely phased out the important ozone-depleting chemical.
Union Minister Mansukh Mandaviya participates at United Nations AIDS Programme in WEF:
- Union Minister Mansukh Mandaviya participated in the United Nations AIDS (UNAIDS) programme at the World Economic Forum (WEF) in Davos, Switzerland.
- Theme – “Access for all: Leveraging Innovations, Investments and Partnerships for Health”.
Uttarakhand becomes 1st state to implement agricultural land leasing policy:
- Uttarakhand has become the 1st state in the country where the government has made a policy to lease agricultural land.
Jharkhand’s Jharia most polluted city in India:
- The coal-belching town of Jharia in Jharkhand to be the most polluted city in India according to a Greenpeace India Report.
Punjab bans Autos older than 15 years in the state:
- The Punjab Government has announced a ban on three-wheelers that are older than 15 years and run on fossil fuel. The vehicles will be replaced with electric or compressed natural gas (CNG) engines.
- The move comes as there is a large number of the auto that is more than 15 years are operating in the state.
AP passed bills for three capital system in the State:
- The Andhra Pradesh State Legislative assembly passed the Capital Region Development Authority Repeal Bill 2020 and the Andhra Pradesh Decentralisation and Inclusive Development of all Regions Bill 2020 on 20 January.
- The bills were aimed to decentralize the state’s capital between Amaravati, Visakhapatnam, and Kurnool.
- The Decentralization Bill provides the provision to divided the state into various zones and establishing zonal planning and development boards
India ranked 51st in the 2019 Democracy Index:
- India ranked 51st in the Democracy Index 2019. It has dropped 10 places in the Democracy Index’s global ranking.
- The survey described the erosion of civil liberties in India as the primary cause of democratic regression.
- The index is based on the functioning of government, electoral process and pluralism, civil liberties, political participation, and political culture.
Guyana took over the G77 chairmanship from Palestine:
- Guyana under Ambassador Rudolph Ten-Pow took over the chairmanship of G77.
- It assumed the chairmanship of the Group from the State of Palestine. In 2020, Group of 77 will be celebrating the 75th anniversary of the United Nations.
- The Group of 77 (G77) is the largest intergovernmental organization of developing countries in the United Nations.
Indian Oil Signs MoU with National Petroleum Authority of Ghana:
- Indian Oil has signed an MoU with Ghana’s National Petroleum Authority for proper execution of the Ghana’s National LPG Promotion Policy.
- According to the MoU, Indian Oil will provide its technical expertise and assistance to Ghana’s National Petroleum Authority.
France to train Indian flight surgeons for ISRO’s Gaganyaan mission:
- France will train Indian flight surgeons for the ambitious human space mission Gaganyaan.
Challa Sreenivasulu Setty appointed managing director of SBI:
- The Appointment Committee of the Cabinet has appointed Challa Sreenivasulu Setty as the Managing Director of the State Bank of India.
New MD and CEOs for Bank of Baroda, Bank of India and Canara Bank:
- The Personnel Ministry has approved a new appointment of Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer of three public sector banks: Bank of India (BOI), Bank of Baroda (BOB) and Canara bank.
- Canara Bank – Lingam Venkat Prabhakar
- Bank of Baroda – Sanjiv Chadha
- Bank of India – Atanu Kumar Das
Priya Prakash wins Cisco Youth Leadership Award 2019:
- The founder and CEO of India based HealthSetGo, Priya Prakash, has won the Global Citizen Prize: Cisco Youth Leadership Award for 2019.
President of India Presents 14th Ramnath Goenka Excellence in Journalism Awards:
- The President of India, Ram Nath Kovind presented the 14th Ramnath Goenka Excellence in Journalism Awards in New Delhi.
Former Indian cricketer Man Mohan Sood passes away:
- Former Indian Test batsman and National selector Man Mohan Sood passed away.
January 24 – National Girl Child Day:
- National Girl Child Day celebrated by India every year on 24th January with an aim to focus on the inequalities faced by girls, to promote the education, health & nutrition of the girl child, and to spread awareness about the rights of a girl child.
January 24 – International Day of Education:
- 24th January was celebrated globally as International Day of Education with the theme ‘Learning for people, planet, prosperity and peace’. It was celebrated for the first time on 24 January 2019.
Vodafone m-pesa’s Certificate of Authorisation cancelled by RBI:
- The Certificate of Authorisation (CoA) of Vodafone m-pesa has been cancelled by Reserve Bank of India.
- Vodafone Idea closed the m-pesa after getting merged with the Aditya Birla Idea Payments Bank Limited in 2019.
RBI has raised the Investment limit for FPIs in government & corporate bonds to 30%:
- The Reserve Bank of India has increased the investment limit for Foreign Portfolio Investors (FPIs) from 20% to 30% in government & corporate bonds.
DAC approves the procurement of about Rs 5100 crore Indigenous Equipments:
- The Defence Acquisition Council (DAC), headed by Raksha Mantri Rajnath Singh has approved the procurement of Indigenous Equipments valued at Rs 5100 crore.
- These indigenous equipments have been manufactured by the Indian industry and designed by Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) for the Indian Army.
Govt Is Fully Prepared To Take On The Challenge Of Coronavirus Outbreak In China – Health Ministry:
- As regards the spread of Novel Coronavirus in our country, the Union Health Ministry officials have said that no case of Novel Coronavirus has been detected in India so far.
- In all, 12,828 passengers from 60 flights have been screened till yesterday for Novel Coronavirus symptoms in the country and no passenger has been detected with the virus.
- Thermal screening is being done at the International airports of Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata, Chennai, Bengaluru, Hyderabad and Cochin. Airlines have been asked to follow International Civil Aviation Organization guidelines for managing and notifying anybody reporting illness on flights originating from China and disembarking in India.
India’s 1st Mahatma Gandhi convention centre inaugurated in Niger:
- Union External Affairs Minister S. Jaishankar and President of Niger Mahamadou Issoufou have inaugurated India’s first Mahatma Gandhi convention centre in Niger.
- It is the first convention centre established in Africa by India to honour the memory of Mahatma Gandhi.
Economist Intelligence Unit released Democracy Index 2019:
- Economist Intelligence Unit (EIU) has released the 12th edition of the “Democracy Index 2019: A year of democratic setbacks and popular protest”.
- Norway topped the Index while North Korea was placed at the bottom of the list.
- India has been placed at 51st position among 167 countries in the Index and was included in flawed democracy.
Election Commission To Host 1st Sukumar Sen Memorial Lecture:
- Election Commission will host the first Sukumar Sen Memorial Lecture.
- Former President Pranab Mukherjee will deliver the first of the Lectures.
- The EC has decided to institute an Annual Lecture Series as a tribute to the first Chief Election Commissioner of India, Sukumar Sen.
- He commendably conducted the first two General Elections to the Lok Sabha and State Legislative Assemblies, thereby putting India firmly on the map of democracy.
India’s First E-Waste Clinic Opens In Bhopal:
- Thecountry’s first e-waste clinic is being opened in Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh.
- It will enable segregation, processing and disposal of waste from both household and commercial units.
- The e-waste clinic is jointly set up by the Central Pollution Control Board (CPCB) and Bhopal Municipal Corporation (BMC).
- In the absence of a safe disposal mechanism, electronic waste at present is being disposed of along with other waste.
- “The e-waste clinic is being started on the basis of a three-month pilot project.
- If this project is successful, e-waste clinics will be established at other places in the country.
- BMC officials informed that electronic waste will be collected door-to-door or could be deposited directly at the e-waste clinic.
Taxi service ‘Women with Wheels’ launched at Indira Gandhi International Airport:
- A unique taxi service ‘Women with wheels’ which will be only available for the female commuters and will be driven by women drivers only, has been launched at the Indira Gandhi International Airport, New Delhi. It is an initiative by ‘Sakha cabs’.
44th International Kolkata Book Fair will be held with Russia as focal theme country:
- The 44th International Kolkata Book Fair (IKBF) will be held with Russia as the focal theme country.
- It is the world’s largest non-trade book fair, Asia’s largest book fair and the most attended book fair in the world.
Greece’s parliament elects Katerina Sakellaropoulou as its 1st woman president:
- Katerina Sakellaropoulou has been elected the Greece’s first female president.
ECI To Host 10th Annual Meeting Of Forum Of Election Management Bodies Of South Asia:
- Election Commission of India will host the 10th Annual Meeting of the Forum of the Election Management Bodies of South Asia (FEMBoSA) in New Delhi today.
- Election Commission of India will take over the Chair of the forum for the year 2020.
- On the occasion, the International Conference on the theme ‘Strengthening Institutional Capacity’is also being organized.
- The International Conference is being organized with the purpose of sharing the experience of different Election Management Bodies, International Institutions, and Experts.
- The international delegates will also attend the National Voters’ Day Celebrations in New Delhi on the 25th of January.
Reliance Jio becomes 1st Telecom to launch UPI Payments Feature:
- Reliance Jio has become the 1st telecom operator to facilitate UPI payments feature through its platform after launching the feature on the MyJio app and will be now competing with other private UPI payment providers such as Paytm, Google Pay and PhonePe.
‘Vyommitra’ a half-humanoid robot has been unveiled by ISRO for Gaganyaan Space Mission:
- ‘Vyommitra’ or “friend in the sky” a half-humanoid robot for Gaganyaan Space Mission has been unveiled by the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO).
- ISRO has planned to execute two unmanned missions before the Ganganyaan mission.
Maharashtra has topped the medal tally of Khelo India Youth Games 2020:
- Maharashtra has topped the medal tally of the 3rd season of the Khelo India Youth Games concluded in Guwahati.
- The state clinched 256 medals including 78 gold while Haryana stood at 2nd position with a total of 200 medals.
- Assam’s swimmer Shivangi Sharma won five gold and two silver medals and became the most successful female player of the tournament.