ICICI Bank launch of a Cardless Cash Withdrawal Facility:
- ICICI Bank announced the launch of a ‘Cardless Cash Withdrawal’ facility from its ATMs on 21 January 2020.
- Cardless Cash Withdrawal: ♦ ICICI Bank’s Cardless Cash Withdrawal service will allow customers to withdraw cash from over 15,000 ATMs of the bank by raising a request on its mobile banking app, iMobile.
IAF inducts its 1st squadron of Sukhoi-30 MKI aircraft:
- The Indian Air Force has inducted its 1st squadron of Sukhoi-30 MKI aircraft.
- This aircraft is carrying the BrahMos missiles in the South at its Thanjavur based in Tamil Nadu.
15th Raising Day celebrated by National Disaster Response Force:
- The National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) was founded on 19th January 2006. NDRF celebrated its 15th Raising Day on 19th January 2020.
- The organization plays an important role in Disaster Management and Community awareness for Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR) in the country.
- NDRF has conducted 3100 operations and saved over one lakh lives, hence playing a crucial role in Disaster Management and Community awareness for Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR) in the country.
- Workshops on ‘Urban flooding & challenges’ and ‘Biological Emergencies & New Technology in Disaster Management’ were also conducted during the celebrations.
India successfully test-fired K-4 Ballistic Missile from Andhra Pradesh:
- The nuclear-capable K-4 ballistic missile has been successfully test-fired by India at Vizag coast in Andhra Pradesh.
- The nuclear-capable missile having the range of 3,500-kilometre was developed by the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO).
The Bloomsbury Anthology of Great Indian Poems to be released:
- The Bloomsbury Anthology of Great Indian Poems edited by Abhay K. is to be launched on 23 January 2020.
- It will be launched on the opening day of the Jaipur Literature Festival 2020.
- The anthology covers over 3000 years of Indian poetry which were written in 28 Indian languages.
PM interacted with Students at 2020 Pariksha Pe Charcha:
- The Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi interacted with students as part of Pariksha Pe Charcha 2020 at Talkatora Stadium, New Delhi on 20 January 2020.
- 50 Divyang students took part in the interaction programme.
PM Narendra Modi, Nepal PM inaugurated Integrated Check-Post (ICP), Biratnagar:
- The Integrated Check-Post (ICP) in Biratnagar has been inaugurated at India-Nepal border.
- The inauguration was done by India’s Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Nepal’s Prime Minister K.P.Sharma Oli.
12th National Tribal Youth Exchange Programme inaugurated in Puducherry:
- 12th National Tribal Youth Exchange Programme begins in Puducherry.
- Puducherry Lieutenant Governor Dr Kiran Bedi inaugurated this Programme.
ELECRAMA 2020 inaugurated in Noida by Prakash Javadekar:
- ELECRAMA 2020 has been inaugurated by the Union Minister for Heavy Industries Prakash Javadekar in Greater Noida, Uttar Pradesh.
- ELECRAMA is a platform for the Indian industry to be connected with the world in respect of technology, new trends and innovation for the future energy transition.
Telangana to test voter identification through a face recognition application:
- The Telangana government is planning to test voter identification through a face recognition application on a pilot basis in the municipal elections of 23 January 2020.
- For the first time, the face recognition software will be used to ascertain the identity of voters in the state.
Manipur, Meghalaya, and Tripura celebrated the Statehood Day:
- Indian states namely Manipur, Meghalaya, and Tripura celebrated their Statehood Day on 21 January.
- On 21 January 1972, all three states became full-fledged states under the North Eastern Region (Reorganisation) Act, 1971.
Chapchar kut festival to be celebrated in Mizoram on March 6:
- Chapchar Kut, the biggest and most important festival of the Mizos, will be celebrated by the Government of Mizoram on March 6, 2020.
- The festival is generally celebrated after the completion of the Jhum cultivation, which is also known as the slash and burn agriculture.
India ranked 5th in the CDP India annual report:
- India ranked 5th in the Carbon Disclosure Project (CDP) India annual report.
- The non-profit organization surveyed among the countries for corporate commitments to science-based targets (SBT).
Global Social Mobility Index 2020:
- The 1st edition of Global Social Mobility Report 2020 titled “The Global Social Mobility Report 2020: Equality, Opportunity and a New Economic Imperative” released by World Economic Forum.
- As per the Index, India ranked has 76th position with a score of 42.7, while Denmark topped the list.
- Top 10: Denmark, Norway, Finland, Sweden, Iceland, Netherlands, Switzerland, Austria, Belgium, and Luxembourg.
UN’s World Economic Situation and Prospects Report 2020:
- The United Nations has released its annual flagship report “World Economic Situation and Prospects Report 2020″.
- The report depicts the state of the world economy through the lens of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development.
India, Sri Lanka agrees to strengthen military ties:
- India and Sri Lanka agreed to strengthen military ties and widen maritime links with neighbours after security talks.
- The talks were held between National Security Advisor Ajit Doval and Sri Lanka President Gotabaya Rajapaksa during a visit to Sri Lanka on 19 January 2020. The move comes after China’s economic hit increases in the region.
China and Myanmar signed 33 agreement to accelerate BRI:
- China and Myanmar signed 33 deals on 18 January 2020. The agreements aimed to speed up key infrastructure projects to provide China a stepping stone to the Indian Ocean.
- The agreement was signed after a meeting between President Xi Jinping and State Counsellor Aung San Suu Kyi. Suu Kyi was on a two-day visit to China. He held talks with Xi on the final day of his two-day visit.
WEF begins its 50th Annual Meeting in Davos:
- The 50th Annual Meeting of the World Economic Forum begins in Davos, Switzerland.
- This year 50th Annual Meeting of the World Economic Forum theme will be “Stakeholders for a Cohesive and Sustainable World”.
2nd edition of NIC Tech Conclave-2020 begins in New Delhi:
- The 2nd edition of NIC Tech Conclave-2020 begins in New Delhi.
- These event is being organized by the National Informatics Centre.
- Theme – “Technologies for Next-Gen Governance”.
IMF reduces Indias economic growth forecast to 4.8 percent:
- The International Monetary Fund (IMF) has reduced India’s economic growth forecast to 4.8% for the current fiscal year.
- The decline is due to the crisis in the non-banking financial sector (NBFC) and weak rural demand. It has also cut the world’s growth estimate.
- The IMF projection, 1.3% points lower than its earlier estimates, is less than the 5% projected by the official advance estimates.
Zomato acquires Uber Eats business in India:
- “Zomato” has announced the acquisition of Uber Eats business in India. Uber Eats is an Uber Technologies Inc’s food delivery business in India.
- The acquisition was done in an all-stock deal. The deals provides Uber with the 9.99% ownership in Zomato after the acquisition.
Arjun Munda becomes the president of Archery Association of India:
- Union Minister of Tribal Affairs Arjun Munda has become the President of the suspended Archery Association of India (AAI) after the elections held as per the Delhi High Court order.
- Maharashtra’s Pramod Chandurkar has won the election for the post of Secretary.
Nripendra Misra appointed as the chairman of NMML by GoI:
- The Government of India has appointed Nripendra Misra as the chairperson of the executive council and Dr A Surya Prakash as the vice-chairperson of the executive council of the Nehru Memorial Museum and Library (NMML).
‘Castle of Dreams’ recieves the Best Film Award at DIFF:
- ‘Castle of Dreams’ has won the Best Film Award in Asian Competition section of the 18th Dhaka International Film Festival (DIFF).
- Reza Mirakarimi has directed the Iranian film ‘Castle of Dreams’ and won the Best Director Award.
- Anjan Dutt directed movie ‘Finally Love’ has won the Best Audience Award in Cinema of the World Category while ‘Children of the Sun’ directed by Sri Lankan director Prasanna Vithanage has won the Special Jury Award in the 18th Dhaka International Film Festival.
26th Annual Screen Actors Guild Awards:
- The winners of the 26th Annual Screen Actors Guild Awards, which honours the year’s biggest achievements in TV and film were announced at an event held at the Shrine Auditorium in Los Angeles, USA.
- Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Television Movie or Miniseries – Sam Rockwell, (Fosse/Verdon)
- Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Television Movie or Miniseries – Michelle Williams, (Fosse/Verdon)
- Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Drama Series – Peter Dinklage (Game of Thrones)
- Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Drama Series – Jennifer Aniston (The Morning Show)
- Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Comedy Series – Tony Shalhoub (The Marvelous Mrs Maisel)
- Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Comedy Series – Phoebe Waller-Bridg (Fleabag)
- Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Drama Series – The Crown
- Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Comedy Series – The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
- Outstanding Action Performance by a Stunt Ensemble in a Comedy or Drama Series – Game of Thrones
- Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Leading Role – Joaquin Phoenix (Joker)
- Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Leading Role – Renee Zellweger (Judy)
- Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Supporting Role – Brad Pitt (Once Upon a Time…in Hollywood)
- Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Supporting Role – Laura Dern (Marriage Story)
- Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture – Parasite
- Outstanding Action Performance by a Stunt Ensemble in a Motion Picture – Avengers: Endgame
TN girls won the under-17 basketball title at Khelo India Youth Games:
- Tamil Nadu girls won the under-17 basketball title at Khelo India Youth Games in Guwahati, Assam.
- Tamil Nadu defeated Rajsthan by 59 to 57 points. Punjab girls won the bronze medal in the under-21 category. They defeated Tamil Nadu.
India beat Pakistan to lift Diplomat Cup Cricket Championship:
- The team of the Indian Consulate has won the Diplomat Cup Cricket Championship of 2020 held in Sharjah.
- The team of the Indian Consulate defeated the Pakistan Consulate to win the trophy.
Union Minister of Youth Affairs and Sports Kiren Rijiju flag off ‘Fit India Cyclothon’:
- Union Minister of Youth Affairs and Sports Kiren Rijiju flag off ‘Fit India Cyclothon’ in Panaji, Goa.
- This inaugural event of ‘Fit India Cyclothon’ organised by Directorate of Sports and Youth Affairs and Government of Goa.
Vinesh Phogat shines with gold medal at the Rome Ranking Series:
- Indian wrestler Vinesh Phogat defeated Ecuador’s Luisa Elizabeth Melendres in the 53 kg category to win the gold medal at the 2020 season of the Rome Ranking Series held in Rome.
- Anshu Malik has won the silver medal in the 57kg category of the competition after losing the match to Odunayo Adekuoroye of Nigeria.
Ratchanok Intanon bags Indonesia Masters title 2020:
- Ratchanok Intanon of Thailand defeated Carolina Marin of Spain to win the Indonesia Badminton Masters 2020 women’s singles title held in Jakarta, Indonesia.
RBI stands at 6th position in buying gold abroad in World Gold Council report:
- “World Gold Outlook 2020” has been released by World Gold Council in which it placed Reserve Bank of India on 6th position in the largest buyer of sovereign gold abroad.
Tuvalu Rejects China Offer To Build Islands, Retains Ties With Taiwan:
- The tiny South Pacific nation of Tuvalu has rejected offers from Chinese firms to build artificial islands that would help it deal with rising sea levels.
- Tuvalu Foreign Minister Simon Kofe told Reuters he saw the offers as an attempt to reduce Taiwan’s influence in the region.
- But he instead reaffirmed his country’s support for Taiwan.
- China has increased efforts to expand its influence in the Pacific, alarming the United States and its allies.
- Beijing has been accused of luring them in with the promise of financial aid and airplanes.
Only 9% Of Indian Kids Get Proper Nutritious Food:
- Union Minister for Women and Child Welfare Smriti Irani today said that only nine percent of the children in the country are getting proper nutritious food, even rich and affluent families are not providing the children with nutritious food.
- She said this while answering questions raised by members during Question Hour today in the Lok Sabha.
- The government of India has initiated various programs to create awareness on malnutrition and related challenges and create awareness on holistic nutrition through a people’s movement known as Jan Andolan with a focus on Children.
Govt Approved Setting Up Of Six Plastic Parks: Sadananda Gowda:
- The government has approved setting up of six plastic parks in different parts of the country.
- These parks will have an ecosystem with state of the art infrastructure building and enabling the common facility to consolidate and synergize the capacities of the domestic downstream plastic processing industry.
- These parks are located in Assam, Madhya Pradesh, Odisha, Jharkhand and Tamil Nadu.
- He said, out of them, the plastic park at Tamot in Madhya Pradesh is functional.
- Under the scheme, the government provides grant funding up to 50 per cent of the project cost.
- The remaining project cost is to be funded by State Government beneficiary industries and by a loan from financial institutions.
Over 7 Crore Farmers Benefited Under PM-KISAN Scheme:
- Over seven crore farmers have been benefited under Pradhan Mantri Kisan Samman Nidhi (PM-KISAN) scheme.
- Under this scheme, six thousand rupees per year are being given in three instalments to the farmers.
- Rajya Sabha Agriculture and Farmers Welfare Minister, Narendra Singh Tomar informed that around over one crore 67 lakh farmers in Uttar Pradesh are benefited under the scheme which is the highest among all the all states.
Three-Day Global Buddhist Congregation To Begin In Aurangabad:
- In Maharashtra, a three-day Global Buddhist Congregation will begin at Nagsenvan in Aurangabad.
- The inaugural ceremony will take place in the presence of Tibetan spiritual leader, the Dalai Lama and Mahanayaka Thero from Sri Lanka.
- It will also have other cultural events.” “Buddhist monks and followers of the religion from across the globe arrived at Aurangabad for attend this Congregation.
GoI sets up “National Startup Advisory Council”:
- The “National Startup Advisory Council” has been set up by the Government of India to guide the union government to build a strong ecosystem to nurture innovation and start-ups in India.
- The council will be chaired by the Commerce Minister.
Brazilian President J. M. Bolsonaro has been invited as the Chief Guest on India’s 71st Republic Day celebrations:
- On the occasion of 71st Republic Day Parade at Raj Path, New Delhi on 26 January, President of Brazil Jair Messias Bolsonaro has been invited as the chief guest.
Government of Maharashtra makes the reading of Preamble mandatory in Maharashtra schools:
- Maharashtra Government has made the reading of the Preamble of the Constitution mandatory for the Maharashtra schools.
- The reading will be done after prayer in all primary and secondary schools in Maharashtra.
Uttar Pradesh Government launches Mukhyamantri Krishak Durghatna Kalyan Yojana:
- Mukhyamantri Krishak Durghatna Kalyan Yojana has been launched by the government of Uttar Pradesh to provide financial assistance to the family of farmers who die or become handicapped while working in fields.
Meghalaya celebrates 48th anniversary of its statehood day on 21 January:
- Meghalaya celebrates the 48th anniversary of its statehood day on 21 January and the celebrations will continue till the Republic Day celebration.
Hyderabad Metro starts carpool services in partnership with redBus:
- Hyderabad Metro Rail Limited starts carpool service for train passengers in partnership with online bus ticketing platform redBus through an app “rPool”.
IIM Indore to provide ‘mob management & communication’ training to UP Police:
- The Indian Institute of Management (IIM) Indore will provide effective communication and crowd management training to the Uttar Pradesh Police personnel.
- It will also provide training in the data analysis, traffic management, use of artificial intelligence & social media management to the Uttar Pradesh Police personnel.
Prime Minister Modi chairs the 32nd edition of PRAGATI platform meeting:
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi has chaired the 32nd interaction through PRAGATI platform which was held in New Delhi. PRAGATI is defined as the ICT-based, multi-modal platform for Pro-Active Governance and Timely Implementation. The PRAGATI platform also addresses the grievances of the common people.
NIA To Host Counter-Terrorism Exercise For Quad Countries:
- The National Investigation Agency is hosting the first counter-terrorism exercise for the “Quad” countries — India, U.S, Japan and Australia — in Delhi on November 21 and 22.
- The ‘CT-TTX’ (counter-terrorism table-top exercise) is first such engagement among the Quad countries on regional and global issues of common interest and also in the domain of counter-terrorism and cooperation, NIA officials said.
Adani Capital acquires Essel Finance’s MSME lending business:
- Essel Finance’s micro, small and medium enterprises (MSME) loan business has been acquired by Adani Capital Private Ltd. Through the acquisition, Adani Capital has secured a loan book of around Rs 145 crore.
Bharti Airtel receives approval from Telecom department to raise FDI in the company to 100%:
- The Bharti Airtel Ltd has received the approval from the Telecom department to increase the Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) in the company to 100%.
- The approval will enable Bharti Airtel company to raise more funds as per its requirement.
A Committee to Draft Legislation on Mediation has been set up by Supreme Court of India:
- Niranjan Bhat will head the committee set up by the Supreme Court of India to firm up draft legislation to give legal sanctity to disputes settled through mediation.
Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella Tops Fortune’s Businessperson Of The Year 2019 List:
- Microsoft’s India-born Chief Executive Officer Satya Nadellahas occupied the top spot in Fortune’s Businessperson of the Year 2019 list, an annual compilation that also includes Mastercard CEO Ajay Banga and Arista head Jayshree Ullal.
- Fortune’s annual Businessperson of the Year listfeatures 20 business leaders“who tackled audacious goals, overcame impossible odds, found creative solutions”.
Swachh Survekshan Grameen Awards 2019:
- Recently, the Swachh Survekshan Grameen Awards 2019 were conferred upon top-ranked states, Union Territories (UTs), and districts in the various categories by the Ministry of Jal Shakti in New Delhi.
- The Department of Drinking Water and Sanitation (DDWS) under the Ministry of Jal Shakti had commissioned Swachh Survekshan Grameen Awards 2019 (SSG 2019) through an independent survey agency.
- Top 3 States– 1) Tamil Nadu, 2) Haryana, 3) Gujarat
- Top 3 Districts– 1) Peddapalli (Telangana), 2) Faridabad (Haryana), 3) Rewari (Haryana)
- State with Maximum Citizen Participation– Uttar Pradesh
The Pradhan Mantri Rashtriya Bal Puraskar 2020 award presented by President Kovind:
- President Ram Nath Kovind distributed the Pradhan Mantri Rashtriya Bal Puraskar, 2020 at Rashtrapati Bhavan, New Delhi to recognize the exceptional achievements of children in various fields like innovation, scholastic achievements, social service, arts and culture, sports and bravery.
Yogeshwar Dutt & Deepa Malik included in All India Council of Sports:
- Paralympian Deepa Malik, wrestler Yogeshwar Dutt have been inducted in the All India Council of Sports along with shooter Anjali Bhagwat, footballer Renedy Singh, mountaineer Bachendri Pal and former Indian off-spinner Harbhajan Singh.
India starts thermal screening of passengers against “Corona” Virus:
- Indian airports has started thermal screening of passengers arriving in India from China and Hong Kong, to stop the Corona Virus spread in India.