January 4 – World Braille Day:
- The world Braille Day is being celebrated on January 4.
- The day is marked remembering the birth anniversary of Louis Braille, the inventor of Braille – for people with visual disabilities.
- Louis Braille was born on 4th January 1809 in the town of Coupvray in northern France.
BoB Joins Hands With JM Financial For Co-Lending To Home Buyers:
- Bank of Baroda (BoB), an Indian Multinational, public sector Bank has signed a co-lending partnership agreement with JM Financial Home Loans Limited (JMFHL), the housing finance arm of JM Financial Group, to provide retail loans to home buyers.
- This tie up will boost the credit delivery to customers & also promote home buying field in India.
- Bank of Baroda (BoB) Founded- 20 July 1908
- Headquarters- Vadodara, Gujarat
- Non-Executive Chairman- Hasmukh Adhia
- Tagline- India’s International Bank.
Gujarat CM Unveils World’s 2nd Tallest Statue Of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel:
- Gujarat Chief Minister Vijay Rupani unveils the second tallest statue of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel in the world at Ahmedabad.
- 50 feet tall bronze statue with the weight of 70 thousand kilograms has been unveiled at the Sardardham campus near Vaishnodevi circle in Ahmedabad. It has become the second highest statue of India’s first home minister after the Statue of Unity of the legendary leader situated at Kevadiya in Narmada district of Central Gujarat.
PM Modi Disburses 12,000 Crore Rupees To Six Crore Farmers As Third Instalment Of PM-KISAN Scheme:
- In Karnataka, Prime Minister Narendra Modi electronically released 12,000 crore rupees under Pradhan Mantri Samaan Yojana to six crore farmers in Tumakuru.
- He also awarded the Krishi Karman Award to the progressive farmers from 21 states. The fishermen of Tamil Nadu and Karnataka were also given deep sea fishing boats and transponders that will help them to navigate in the deep sea.
- Prime Minister emphasised on agro exports, value-addition of produce, marketing and doubling of farmers income by 2022
Home Minister Amit Shah Inaugurates New Campus Of NFSC In Nagpur:
- Union Home Minister Amit Shah dedicated the new campus of National Fire Service College (NFSC) under Ministry of Home affairs in Nagpur.
- NFSC campus spread across 42 acres is fully equipped with the international standards and this modernized campus will be a proud moment not just for the Nagpur but also for the whole nation.
- Mr. Shah also appealed the states and Union territories to make use of expertise in the National Fire Service College in Nagpur and take the initiative in making the fire brigade service as an independent service in their states
HRD Minister Ramesh Pokhriyal To Inaugurate 28th New Delhi World Book Fair:
- Human Resources Development Minister Ramesh Pokhriyal will inaugurate the 28th edition of annual New Delhi World Book Fair at Pragati Maidan in New Delhi.
- The book fair organised by National Book Trust (NBT) will be held from January 4 to 12 in the national capital.
- Eminent Gandhian scholar Girishwar Mishra will be the chief guest on the occasion.
- As part of Mahatma Gandhiji’s 150 birth anniversary celebrations, the theme of this year is Gandhi:The Writers’ Writer
Indian Railways Launches Integrated Helpline Number 139 For Passengers:
- The Indian Railways has integrated its helpline numbers into a single number — 139 for quick grievance redressal and enquiries by passengers during their train journeys.
- The new helpline number 139 will take over all the existing helpline numbers. It will be easy for passengers to remember this number and connect with Railways for all their needs during train travel.
- The Helpline 139 will be available in twelve languages. It will be based on Interactive Voice Response System
Kerala Became 1st State To Pass Resolution Against CAA:
- Kerala became the 1st state in the country to pass a resolution against the Citizenship Amendment Act.
- The resolution was moved by Kerala’s Chief Minister Pinarayee Vijayan and was seconded by the Leader of Opposition Ramesh Chennithala.
- Several other chief ministers of West Bengal, Punjab, Maharashtra, Rajasthan, Delhi have also announced for not implementing CAA in their states.
Ritualistic Festival ‘Lai Haraoba’ Begins In Tripura:
- In Tripura, Lai Haraoba, a ritualistic festival observed by Manipuri meitei communities since ancient times, began in Agartala last evening. The five day long festival is jointly organised by Department of Information and Cultural Affairs, Government of Tripura, Puthiba Lai Haraoba Committee and Puthiba Welfare & Cultural Society, Agartala.
- The five-day long festival was inaugurated by Speaker of state legislative Assembly, Rebati Mohan Das
Maharashtra Govt Launches ‘Cyber Safe Women’ Initiative:
- Maharashtra Government has launched a ‘Cyber Safe Women’ initiative under which awareness camps will be held across all the districts of the state regarding cyber safety.
- In a statement, Chief Minister Uddhav Thackeray has said the initiative will help in educating women about how the web is used by anti-social elements and child predators to commit various types of crimes.
Nepal’s President Launches ‘Visit Nepal Year 2020’ Campaign To Promote Tourism:
- President of Nepal Bidya Devi Bhandari launched much-awaited Visit Nepal Year 2020 campaign amidst a spectacular ceremony held at historic Dasaratha Rangashala in Kathmandu.
- Chief Justice, National Assembly Chairman, former Prime Ministers and political party leaders from Nepal and dignitaries from various countries including India’s Minister of State (Independent Charge) for Tourism and Culture, Prahlad Singh Patel also graced the occasion.
- The ambitious campaign is aimed to promote tourism in Nepal and attract 2 million tourists during the year 2020. In his address Nepal’s Minister for Culture, Tourism and Civil Aviation, Yogesh Bhattarai said the government has a goal of making tourism one of the key pillars of Nepali economy.
UPSRTC Launched ‘Damini’ Helpline Service For Women:
- UPSRTC (Uttar Pradesh State Road Transport Corporation) has launched ‘Damini’ helpline service considering the safety of the women passengers.
- As the extension of ‘Nirbhaya Yojana’ the unique number “81142-77777” has been subscribed for this helpline.
- Using these helpline women passengers can lodge their complaints by calling the helpline number and by using WhatsApp service.
Andhra Pradesh To Host 14th Global Healthcare Summit In 2021:
- The American Association of Physicians of Indian Origin (AAPI), a professional association for Indian American physicians, is set to organize a 3-days long 14th Global Healthcare Summit (GHS) in Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh (AP) from January 3, 2021 for the 1st time.
- Around 500 doctors from the United States of America (USA), Australia, Britain and other countries expected to participate in the summit, which will focus on various communicable and non-communicable diseases, public health hazards, eradication of tuberculosis(TB), preventing maternal mortality, control of Hepatitis B etc.
Hillary Clinton Appointed As New Chancellor Of Queen’s University Belfast In Ireland:
- Former US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton has been appointed the new chancellor of Queen’s University in Belfast, Ireland.
- Clinton, who has been a regular visitor to Northern Ireland going back to the first visit of President Bill Clinton in 1995, becomes the university’s first female chancellor.
- Hillary will serve as chancellor for a five-year term, The Irish Times reported after quoting a statement issued by the varsity.
- The position of chancellor has been vacant since the death in 2018 of Thomas J Moran, chairman, president, and chief executive of Mutual of America Life Insurance Company.
Andhra Pradesh Government Appoints Two ‘Disha Special Officers’:
- The Andhra Pradesh government-appointed Indian Administrative Service (IAS) official Dr Kritika Shukla and Indian Police Service (IPS) official M Deepika, as Special Officers for implementing the Andhra Pradesh Disha Act 2019.
- The Act is intended for speedy trial and faster execution in cases of sexual offences against women in the state.
- To ensure a speedy trial, the state will set up exclusive special courts in all the 13 districts to deal with cases of offences against women and children including rape, acid attacks, stalking, voyeurism, social media harassment of women, sexual harassment and all cases under POCSO Act.
Cristiano Ronaldo Bags Best Men’s Player Title At Dubai Globe Soccer Awards:
- Famous Portuguese professional football player Cristiano Ronaldo was awarded by Globe Soccer Award as the best men’s player of the year in the international football function held in Dubai.
- Ronaldo has won the award six times out of its nine years of its existence and also marked 4th consecutive time.
- England international Lucy Bronze was awarded the best women’s player of the year.
- The 11th edition of the Globe Soccer Award, marks a new era for football recognition took place in Madinet Jumeirah Resort, Middle East, Dubai.
For The First Time Lawn Bowls & Cycling To Be Included In 3rd Khelo India Games 2020:
- Chief Executive Officer of “Khelo India Games” has announced the inclusion of “Lawn bowls” and “Cycling” in the 3rd edition of Khelo India Games. These two games will be included in the event for the first time.
- Around 6500 athletes from 37 teams will take part in the 3rd edition of Khelo India youth games in Guwahati, Assam which is scheduled to be held from 10th of January to 22nd of February at Indira Gandhi Stadium.
Manav Thakkar Becomes World No.1 In Latest International Table Tennis Federation Rankings:
- Young Indian paddler Manav Thakkar today became world no.1 in the latest International Table Tennis Federation (ITTF) rankings in the Under-21 men’s singles category.
- With this, Thakkar became the fourth Indian to achieve the feat after Harmeet Desai, G Sathiyan and Soumyajit Ghosh.
- Among other Indians, G. Sathiyan has managed to retain his 30th spot in the senior category.
- Achanta Sharath Kamal has climbed a spot to 33rd position.
- Top woman paddler, Manika Batra was static at the 61st position.
5th IHAI National Ice Hockey Championship-2020 Begins In Leh:
- 5th Ice Hockey Association of India (IHAI) National Ice Hockey Championship -2020 has begun in Leh.
- In the inaugural match in Under-20 Boys category between Chandigarh and Haryana, the contest ended in a draw with 4 goals each.
- Later in the afternoon Under-20 Girls match will be played between home team Ladakh and Maharashtra.
- The tournament will continue till 7th January in Karzoo Ice Hockey Rink in Leh, where the Army, Chandigarh, Delhi, Haryana, Maharashtra and home team Ladakh are fighting for the championship in U-20 boys category.
Telangana’s Mountaineer Malavath Poorna Scaled Antarctica’s Highest Peak Mt. Vinson Massif:
- 18-years-old Malavath Poorna from Telangana scaled Mt Vinson Massif, the highest mountain peak in Antarctica at 4,892 meters and becomes the first and youngest tribal women in the World to scale six mountain peaks in six continents.She is from Nizamabad district in Telangana.
- ’Poorna’,a biography of Poorna Malavath was written by Aparna Thota.
Senior NCP Leader D P Tripathi Passes Away:
- Senior Nationalist Congress Party leader and former MP, D P Tripathi passed away in Delhi after a prolonged illness.
- He was 67. Born in Sultanpur, Uttar Pradesh Tripathi was active in students’ movement during his college days.
- Information and Broadcasting Prakash Javadekar condoled the passing away of D P Tripathi
Iran’s Gen Qassem Soleimani Died In US Airstrike On Baghdad Airport:
- Iran’s top commander General Qassim Soleimani has been killed in a U.S. drone strike in Baghdad.
- Soleimani, who led a special forces unit of Iran’s elite Revolutionary Guards, has been a key figure of Iranian and the Middle East politics.
- His death exacerbated already-high tensions between Iran and the United States and triggered concerns of retaliation from Iranian forces.
- After the news of Soleimani’s death, oil prices jumped more than 4% and fuelling fears of a conflict in the crude-rich region.