January 10 – World Hindi Day:
- The day is commemorated every year with the objective to promote use of Hindi language abroad. Special functions are being organized to mark the occasion.
- On this day in 2006, the First World Hindi Conference was organized in Nagpur to promote the language worldwide. Since then 10th January is being observed as World Hindi Day.
2 Indian Banks To End Their Operations In Sri Lanka:
- The two Indian private sector lenders Axis Bank and ICICI Bank to close their operations in Sri Lanka after the Central Bank of Sri Lanka has permitted.
- The licenses issued by Central Bank of Sri Lanka will be cancelled once the winding-up operations are complete. The two banks are no longer to carry their banking operations, including accepting deposits from the public in Sri Lanka.
Deutsche Bank Projects India’s Economy To Reach $7 Trillion By 2030:
- By 2030, India is about to grow two and half times to $7 trillion from about $3 trillion now to become the world’s third-largest economy, says a research report.
- Deutsche Bank in its research report ‘Imagine 2030’ said that a nominal GDP (gross domestic product) growth is likely to average just over 10 percent through the next decade.
SBI Has Announced RBBG Scheme:
- The State Bank of India has announced ‘residential builder finance with buyer guarantee’ (RBBG) scheme which was implemented by RBI. The aim of the scheme is to giving a push to residential sales and improve homebuyers’ confidence.
- The SBI will issue a guarantee for completion of select residential projects to customers who have availed home loans from it. The scheme will focus on affordable housing projects priced up to 2.50 crore rupees in 10 cities initially.
- Under this scheme, the guarantee would be given by the bank until the project gets the occupation certificate (OC).
RBI Gives Nod To Recurring UPI Payments:
- The Reserve Bank of India has allowed electronic mandate for the Unified Payments Interface (UPI) on recurring payments of up to Rs 2,000, bringing the payment system at par with other instruments such as debit cards, credit cards and mobile wallets
- Yes Bank Board Approves 10,000 Cr Funding
- The board of private lender Yes Bank met on Friday and approved raising of funds of up to Rs10,000 crore in one or more tranches through a qualified institutional placement (QIP), or any other private placement of equity or debt.
RBI Amends KYC Norms, Allows Banks To Use V-CIP:
- The RBI has amended the KYC norms allowing banks and other lending institutions regulated by it to use Video based Customer Identification Process (V-CIP), a move which will help them onboard customers remotely.
- The V-CIP, which will be consent-based, will make it easier for banks and other regulated entities to adhere to the RBI’s Know Your Customer (KYC) norms by leveraging the digital technology
Three Kerala Cities In The World’s Fastest-Growing Cities’ List:
- According to the Economist Intelligence Unit (EIU), Malappuram (India) city ranks first among the top 10 fastest-growing urban areas in the world.
- Kerala’s Kozhikode has been ranked number 4; Kollam is in the tenth position. Vietnam’s Can Tho is in the second position while China’s three cities (Suqian, Putian, and Suzhou) have included in the list.
Census India-2021 To Begin On 1st April; To Be Conducted Through Mobile App:
- Census India-2021 will begin on 1st of April this year and will end on 30th of September. Census India-2021 will be conducted through a mobile phone application, moving away from the traditional pen and paper.
- Enumerators of the census will seek the information of mobile number of the head of the family, information related to toilets, TV, Internet, vehicles owned, source of drinking water besides asking other questions during the house listing phase of the exercise.
The 4th Edition Of ‘Buxa Bird Festival’ Has Started In Buxa National Park In West Bengal’s, District Alipurduar:
- The fourth ‘Buxa Bird Festival‘ has begun in Buxa National Park in West Bengal’s Alipurduar district, officials said.
- Over 50 birdwatchers from across the country and abroad have registered for the 2020 edition of the four-day festival that began on Monday, Ujjwal Ghosh, Chief Conservator of Forests (Wildlife), north Bengal said.
- “More than 300 rare species including the Great Hornbill, Sultan Tit and Greater Spotted Eagle visit the national park during this period,” Ghosh said.
Maharashtra CM To Inaugrates “Advantage Maharashtra Expo 2020”:
- Maharashtra Chief Minister Uddhav Thackeray will inaugurate “Advantage Maharashtra expo 2020” in Aurangabad.
- The Exhibition has been organised by the Marathwada Association of Small Scale Industries and Agriculture (MASSIA).
- Growth of Marathwada industries in technology and innovation and the products produced and exported from the region will be showcased in this exhibition.This exhibition will provide an opportunity for businesses and will serve the platform for small entrepreneurs.
J&K – Infrastructure Development Finance Corporation Approves 17 Projects Worth Over Rs 110 Crore:
- In Jammu and Kashmir, the Infrastructure Development Finance Corporation has approved 17 projects worth over 110 crore rupee for funding, submitted by the line departments for funding by the Corporation.
- These include Jambu Zoo project of more over 49 crore Rs, 8 projects of Higher Education department amounting to nearly 34 crore Rs, 3 of Horticulture department, 4 projects of Youth Services and Sports Department
India Listed As 5th Biggest Geo-Political Risk Of 2020:
- India under Narendra Modi is the fifth biggest geopolitical risk of 2020, said Eurasia Group, world’s leading political risk consultancy.
- It was topped by US Brexit issue (Rigged! : Who Governs the US). Eurasia’s annual ‘Top 10 Risks’ of the year list is considered one of the foremost geopolitical indicators among global investors, multinational firms and various financial and business consultancies.
- “Prime Minister Narendra Modi has spent much of his second term promoting controversial social policies at the expense of an economic agenda.
- The impacts will be felt in 2020, with intensified communal and sectarian instability, as well as foreign policy and economic setbacks,” reads the Eurasia Group’s report.
Iran Designate US Armed Forces And Pentagon As ‘Terrorist Entities’:
- The Iranian parliament today approved a triple-urgency bill which designates the US army and the Pentagon as a terrorist entity.
- The Bill further requires the government to allocate 200 million euro to the Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) Quds Force to take revenge for the US killing of Lieutenant General Qassem Soleimani.
- Iran’s IRGC’s Quds Force Commander General Soleimani and Iraq’s Popular Forces Commander Abu Mahdi al-Modandis, as well as eight other military men, were killed by the US Army.
- 233 MPs repeated the words of the speaker, Ali Larijani, warning US President Donald Trump to await the consequences of his actions. Majlis also discussed the bill about taking an action against US attack. The Supreme Leader has called for proportionate military action against the US interests in response to the killing of Iranian Commander in Baghdad.
US Imposes New Sanctions On Iran’s Metal Exports:
- Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin announced yesterday that the U.S. imposed new sanctions on Iran’s metal exports and eight senior Iranian officials.
- The new penalties came days after Iran fired a barrage of missiles at Iraqi bases that were housing US targets – a move made in retaliation for an American airstrike in Baghdad that killed Iran’s top military leader, Qasem Soleimani.
India Hosts 5th Asia Pacific Drosophila Research Conference In Pune:
- The 5th edition of the Asia Pacific Drosophila Research Conference (APDRC5) held in Pune, Maharashtra.
- The conference is being conducted in India for the 1st time and it is organised by the Indian Institute of Science Education and Research (IISER).
- The Asia Pacific Drosophila Research Conferences (APDRC) are biennial events that aim to promote the interaction of Drosophila Researchers in the Asia-Pacific region with their peers in the rest of the world. The fliers of the last four APDRCs below give a glimpse of these meetings.
Second Largest Muslim Congregation In The World Bishwa Ijtema Begins In Bangladesh:
- The first phase of the world’s second largest Muslim congregation after Haj began on the outskirts of Dhaka today.
- Thousands of devotees from Bangladesh and abroad are thronging the bank of river Turag at Tongi near Dhaka to participate in the congregation called Bishwa Ijtema.
- The Ijtema began with the ‘aam bayan’ and will end on January 12 with the final prayers ‘Akheri Munajat’.
A Sakthivel Appointed As The New Chairman Of AEPC India:
- A Sakthivel has been appointed as the new chairman of Apparel Export Promotion Council of India (AEPC) for the period 2020-21. He will replace HKL Magu.
Italian Veteran Footballer Daniele De Rossi Announced His Retirement:
- Veteran former Italy international Daniele De Rossi announced his retirement from football on Monday, just six months after joining Argentine giants Boca Juniors.
- De Rossi spent 18 years at Roma before leaving the club at the end of last season. He played 117 times for Italy from 2004-17 and won the World Cup in 2006.
Forbes 20 People To Watch In The 2020s:
- Kanhaiya Kumar, Prashant Kishor, and Mahua Moitra have found a place in the Forbes’ list of people to watch in the 2020s. Forbes India recently published this list that included the names of politicians, entrepreneurs, entertainers, and sportspersons.
- The list was topped by Hasan Minhaj who is the American comedian and political commentator. Prashant Kishor and Kanhaiya Kumar are the biggest names of the list.
- Kanhaiya ranked 12th in this list and Prashant is ranked 16th. The magazine has named Kanhaiya Kumar, former president of JNU Students Union and JDU strategist Prashant Kishor, as the influential face of the coming decade.
Jasbinder Bilan Wins 2019 Costa Children’s Award:
- Indian-origin Jasbinder Bilan has been conferred the UK’s famous Costa Children’s Award 2019. He has won the award for his debut novel ‘Asha and the Spirit Bird’.
- Under the award, Billon will receive a sum of £ 5000. Jasbinder’s novel “Asha and the Spirit Bird” was chosen from 144 other books.
- The Costa Children Award is conferred annually in 5 categories: first novel, novel, biography, poetry and children’s book.
‘Karmayoddha Granth’: A Book On The Life Of PM Narendra Modi Launched:
- Union Home Minister Amit Shah released a book ‘Karmayoddha Granth’ on the life of Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
- A ‘Karmayoddha’ is a man with a beating heart for people, a statesman, a hard taskmaster, an able administrator and an ideal leader who leads by example. All these qualities have been personified by Narendra Modi.
January 12 – National Youth Day;
- National Youth Day or Yuva Diwas is observed on 12 January across India. The day is celebrated every year to commemorate the birth anniversary of Swami Vivekananda.
- It aims to create awareness and to provide knowledge to the youth about the rights in India.
The main aim of the celebration of the Youth day is to propagate the philosophy and the ideals of Swami Vivekananda for which he lived and worked.
- Theme: “Channelizing Youth Power for Nation Building”
Naval version of LCA Tejas was successfully tested:
- A prototype of the naval version of the light combat aircraft (LCA) successfully completed the test trial.
- It landed and took off from India’s aircraft carrier INS Vikramaditya on 11 January 2020. The test was a significant step towards India developing its own deck-based fighters.
- This will now pave the way to develop and manufacture the Twin Engine Deck Based Fighter for the Indian Navy.
India erects a new non-cut steel fence along Pakistan, Bangladesh:
- India is currently erecting a new non-cut steel fence along its sensitive border with Pakistan and Bangladesh. It aims to plug vulnerable and infiltration-prone patches.
- Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) and Border Security Force (BSF) has been speeding up the Comprehensive Integrated Border Management System (CIBMS) for the deployment of smart fences, advanced surveillance gadgets and anti-infiltration alarms
India to double the crude oil imports from the US:
- India is planning to double crude oil imports from the US. The move is a part of its effort to reduce dependence on the West Asia region.
- India’s major oil imports: India started to purchase Oil from the US in 2017-18. So far, it has already crossed about 6 million tonnes a year.
- India also has long-term oil supply contracts with Russia and oil-producing countries in Africa. India is depending highly on oil imports from West Asia.
Home Minister Amit Shah inaugurated Indian Cyber Crime Coordination Centre:
- Union Home Minister Amit Shah inaugurated the Indian Cyber Crime Coordination Centre (I4C) and National Cyber Crime Reporting Portal. Through the portal, people can report cyber crimes online.
- I4C and the portal will let all cybercrime-related complaints be accessed by law enforcement agencies in the states and union territories (UTs) to take action as per the law.
China reported the first case from new Coronavirus:
- Chinese health authorities reported that a new virus implicated in a pneumonia outbreak was identified in the city of Wuhan, China. The researchers discovered that the new strain of the virus is that of the coronavirus.
- Coronaviruses infects the respiratory tract. The virus shows symptoms like runny nose, cough, sore throat, and fever.
GoI appoints officials to assist Chief of Defence Staff:
- Centre appointed 2 joint secretaries, 13 deputy secretaries, and 25 under secretary-rank officials to the newly-created department of military affairs.
- The department is to be headed by Chief of Defence Staff (CDS) General Bipin Rawat. The appointments are in line with the government’s vision of ensuring tri-services synergy.
January 13 – Lohri day:
- Lohri day is celebrated on 13 January every year in India.
- Lohri is termed as the festival of farmers in Northern India. It is observed a night before Makar Sankranti.
- The harvest festival is majorly celebrated in the North of India. During the festival, the people offer prayers to the Sun God, Mother Earth, the fire and the fields for prosperity, health, and a good harvest.
India’s 1st Cyber Crime Prevention Unit launched in Gujarat:
- Amit Shah, the Union Home Minister launched the first Cyber Crime Prevention Unit of India “AASHVAST” in Gandhinagar, Gujarat.
- He also launched 2 other projects: VISWAS & Netrang. AASHVAST project will act as a helpline for the cyber crime victims.
National Youth Festival 2020 started in UP’s Lucknow:
- The 23rd National Youth Festival 2020 has started from 12-16 January in Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh. This festival is celebrated on the birth anniversary of Swami Vivekananda.
- The NYF 2020 is organized by the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports and State Government of Uttar Pradesh.
- Theme – “FIT YOUTH FIT INDIA”.
Kolkata Port Trust renamed as Shyama Prasad Mukherjee Port:
- Kolkata Port Trust was renamed as Shyama Prasad Mukherjee Port on the occasion of 150th years celebration of Kolkata Port Trust.
- The event was also attended by Prime Minister Narendra Modi. He dedicated a Commemorative Stamp to mark 150 years of Kolkata port trust to India.
Dharmendra Pradhan launch mission PURVODAYA in West Bengal:
- Dharmendra Pradhan, Union Minister of Steel launched mission PURVODAYA for the development of eastern India through integrated steel hub in Kolkata, West Bengal.
- Under this mission, the government aims to transform logistics and utility infrastructure which would change the socio-economic landscape in eastern India.
Smriti Irani has launched 3 welfare schemes in Goa:
- Union minister for women and child development and Member of Parliament from Amethi, Smriti Irani has launched 3 welfare schemes for women in Goa.
- The schemes are Yashaswini Scheme for Women Entrepreneurship, Swasthya Sahayak Project and breast cancer screening initiative handheld device facilitating detection of cancer.
Australian Koalas become endangered in bushfires:
- The Australian government is to declare koalas as an endangered species after the bushfire crisis. It destroyed 30% of the habitat of koalas across the country.
- Australian bushfire: Since September 2019 the Australian bushfires have been raging. It is one of the worst in its history.
- The bushfire has killed 26 people, burned over 10 million hectares of land, destroyed over 2,000 homes and pushed many species towards extinction.
Pulses Conclave 2020 Will be held in Maharashtra:
- India Pulses and Grains Association (IPGA), the nodal body for the country’s pulses trade and industry on announced that the 5th edition of “The Pulses Conclave 2020”, will be held from 12th February to 14th February 2020 in Lonavala, Maharashtra.
18th Edition of Dhaka International Film Festival begins:
- The 18th edition of Dhaka International Film Festival begins at Dhaka, Bangladesh.
- Theme – ‘Better Film, Better Audience and Better Society’.
Bangladesh has hosted Muslim congregation “Bishwa Ijtema” in Dhaka:
- First phase of “Bishwa Ijtema” has commenced in Dhaka, Bangladesh. This is the second largest congregation of Muslim community after Hajj.
- The second phase of the congregation will be held from 17th January to 19th January 2020.
World Future Energy Summit held in UAE:
- The World Future Energy Summit commences in Abu Dhabi, UAE. The theme for World Future Energy Summit is “Rethinking Global Consumption, Production, and Investment”.
- The Summit will conclude on 17th January, 2020.
Workshop-cum-exhibition on Bamboo-A wonder grass was held at Jammu:
- The Union Minister of State (Independent Charge) Ministry of Development of North Eastern Region, Dr. Jitendra Singh inaugurated a workshop-cum-exhibition on Bamboo-A wonder grass at Convention Centre, Jammu on 11 January.
- The workshop was held on 11-12 January 2020.
Tata Power Solar bagged Rs.1,505 crore project from NTPC:
- Tata Power Solar Systems Ltd bagged a megaproject from NTPC for a 250-megawatt solar project under the Central Public Sector Undertakings (CPSU) scheme.
- The cost of the project is Rs.1,505 crore. It has been estimated to be completed in a period of 20 months.
Sayyid Haitham bin Tariq al Said is new the Sultan of Oman:
- Sayyid Haitham bin Tariq al Said has took as new Sultan of Oman. He will succeed Sultan Qaboos bin Said who was passed away.
Tsai Ing-wen won the Taiwan Presidential Election:
- Tsai Ing-wen was won the Taiwan presidential election. She wins the second term as Taiwan president.
- Tsai Ing-wen’s Democratic Progressive party retained control of the legislature, according to final results. She defeated Han Kuo-yu with 57.1% of the vote.
Dibrugarh district won the 2020 Plastic Waste Management Award:
- Assam’s Dibrugarh district won the Plastic Waste Management Award 2020. It was awarded for being the best district of India in the plastic waste management category during Swachhta Hi Sewa 2019.
- The award was received by Pallav Gopal Jha, Deputy Commissioner from renowned Bollywood actor Amir Khan at a function held at Pride Plaza, Aerocity in Delhi.
Ishwar Sharma was honoured with 2020 the Global Child Prodigy Award:
- Ishwar Sharma from the UK has been honoured with the Global Child Prodigy Award 2020. The award recognized for the achievements in spiritual discipline yoga.
- He received his Certificate of Achievement at a special event attended by Nobel Laureate Kailash Satyarthi and Dr. Kiran Bedi, Lieutenant Governor of Puducherry, in New Delhi in January 2020.
Jasprit Bumrah to receive the Polly Umrigar Award:
- Indian Cricketer Jasprit Bumrah is selected to receive the Polly Umrigar Award for male category for the year 2018-19.
- He is awarded for being the best international cricketer at the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) Annual Awards. It has been scheduled to be held in Mumbai.
January 14 – Armed Forces Veterans Day:
- 14 January celebrated as Armed Forces Veterans Day every year. Armed Forces Veterans Day is being celebrated since 2017.
- This day is observed to mark the respect and recognition of the services rendered by Field Marshal KM Cariappa.
- He was the first Indian Commander-in-Chief of the Indian Armed Forces, retired on 14th January 1953.
January 15 – Indian Army Day:
- January 15 celebrated as Indian Army Day every year. This year (2019) 72nd Army Day is being celebrated across the country.
- Army of India has the dedication to the motherland by being effective responders during calamities and through the contributions to wider nation-building.
January 15 – IMD celebrated its 145th foundation Day:
- The India Meteorological Department or IMD is celebrating its 145th Foundation Day on 15 January 2020. IMD was created in 1875.
Captain Tania Shergill become 1st Woman to lead Republic Day contingent:
- Indian Army Officer Captain Tania Shergill will be the first woman parade adjutant for the Republic Day parade 2020.
- Tania Shergill commissioned in March 2017 from the Officer Training Academy, Chennai. She is an electronics and communications graduate.
Indian Oil launches special class diesel for Navy:
- Indian Oil Corporation (IOC) has developed a special class diesel conforming to North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) grade for use in ships and vessels of Indian Navy.
- Vice Admiral GS Pabby has launched the Upgraded High Flash High-Speed Diesel (HFHSD-IN 512).
India will get USD 1 billion investment from e-commerce company Amazon:
- The e-commerce company, Amazon has announced the incremental investment of 1 USD bn in India.
- The investment by Amazon will have the prime objective of digitising the small and medium businesses (SMB’s) in India.
Sardar Patel’s Statue of Unity place in ‘8 Wonders of Shanghai Cooperation Organisation’:
- Sardar Patel’s 182 meter tall Statue of Unity in Gujarat included in the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation’s ‘8 Wonders of SCO’ list. S Jaishankar, External Affairs Minister has announced today.
Parshuram Kund Mela’ started in North-Eastern state of Arunachal Pradesh:
- Parshuram Kund Mela started in North-Eastern state of Arunachal Pradesh. Parshuram Kund, a Hindu pilgrimage centre situated on the Brahmaputra plateau in the lower reaches of the Lohit River.
M Venkaiah Naidu will be inaugurating “Classical Telugu Centre” in Nellore:
- M Venkaiah Naidu, Vice President of India inaugurate a new Centre of Excellence for Studies in Classical Telugu on 21st January in Nellore, Andhra Pradesh.
- The Centre govt. will facilitate to focus its activities for the development of this rich classical Telugu through Research, seminars, debates and various activities.
Treasury Department of USA removes China from “currency manipulator” list:
- The Treasury Department of United States of America has been removed China from the designation as “currency manipulator“.
Infosys inked with GEFCO to strenghthen Digital Transformation:
- Infosys, an IT consulting company has inked a deal for 5 years with GEFCO to digitally transform its worldwide operations.
Raisina Dialogue begins from 14 January:
- India’s flagship global conference on geopolitics and geo-economics Raisina Dialogue begins in New Delhi from 14 January 2020. Prime Minister of India Narendra Modi inaugurated session.
- This is the 5th edition of the Raisina Dialogue has organised by jointly the Ministry of External Affairs and the Observer Research Foundation.
6th meeting of the Island Development Agency chaired by Amit Shah:
- The 6th meeting of the Island Development Agency (IDA) was supervised by Amit Shah, the Union Home Minister in New Delhi.
- During the meet, initiatives of sustainable development in the identified Islands were taken under Island Development Agency.
India, Bangladesh Information and Broadcasting Ministers’ Meet 2020 held in New Delhi:
- India and Bangladesh Information and Broadcasting Ministers’ Meet 2020 was held in New Delhi.
- Prakash Javadekar, Union Minister for Information and Broadcasting and Bangladeshi counterpart Muhammad H Mahmud representing their respective countries in this meet.
Income Tax Department launched 24×7 control room:
- Income-Tax Department was launched 24×7 control room to monitor black money and illegal inducements in poll-bound Delhi.
- This facility will also host a toll-free number (1800117574). People can inform the department about any activity of use of money power, illegal distribution of cash etc.
SEBI defer deadline to April 2022 for split “Chairman and Managing Director” post:
- Securities and Exchange Board of India stock market regulator has deferred the deadline for the separation of the posts of Chairman & Managing Director or chief executive officer (CEO) for 500 listed companies by 2 years.
- The date of implementation of the above regulatory provision has been deferred to 1st April 2022.
Indian Space Research Organisation to launch GSAT-30 satellite:
- Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) will launch GSAT-30 satellite onboard Ariane-5 launch vehicle (VA 251) from French Guiana, overseas department of France.
- This satellite will launch on 17 January 2020. The GSAT-30 is a communication satellite of India and configured on ISRO’s enhanced I-3K Bus structure to provide communication services from Geostationary orbit in C and Ku bands.
Michael Patra appointed as the Deputy Governor of Reserve Bank:
- The Centre government has appointed Michael Debaprata Patra as the Deputy Governor of Reserve Bank of India.
- Michael Debaprata Patra was currently serving as the Executive Director of RBI. He has appointed in place of former deputy governor Viral Acharya.
Anand Prakash Maheshwari to Director General of CRPF:
- Anand Prakash Maheshwari has appointed Director General (DG) of Central Reserve Police Force.
- Anand Prakash Maheshwari is an IPS officer of Uttar Pradesh cadre. This decision was taken due to the retirement of former head (DG) of CRPF, Rajiv Rai Bhatnagar.
Nitin Gadkari presenting the National Highway Excellence Awards 2019:
- Nitin Gadkari (Union Road, Transport and Highway Minister) presenting the National Highway Excellence Awards 2019 in New Delhi.
- Excellence in Project Management
- Excellence in Operation and Maintenance
- Excellence in Toll Management
- Excellence in Highway Safety
- Outstanding Work in Challenging Conditions
- Green Highway
Muppavarapu Venkaiah Naidu National Award to MS Swaminathan:
- Dr MS Swaminathan, a famous Agricultural Scientist was honoured as the first recipients ‘Muppavarapu Venkaiah Naidu National Award for Excellence’ for his distinguished contribution to the field of agriculture.
- Muppavarapu Venkaiah Naidu National Award for Excellence carries a cash prize of Rs. 5 lakhs and a citation. Dr Swaminathan is the “Father of the Green Revolution in India and the Doyen of Agricultural Science”.
Ishwar Sharma wins ‘Global Child Prodigy Award’:
- Indian yoga boy Ishwar Sharma, a 10-year-old British wins Global Child Prodigy Award.
- Ishwar Sharma chosen from the United Kingdom for the awards, honour child prodigies from across 45 countries and 30 different categories such as palaeontology, biking, choreography, fitness and martial arts etc.
Puri recieves Swachhata Darpan Awards 2019:
- Puri, a city of Odisha has been awarded for its initiatives for plastic waste management with the Swachhata Darpan Awards 2019.
- Award ceremony was held during the Open Defecation Free Sustainability Workshop held in National Capital New Delhi.
Kento Momoto from Japan won Malaysia Masters 2020:
- Japanese badminton player Kento Momota (world number 1 ranked) won the Malaysia Masters 2020 title.
- He has defeated Viktor Axelsen from Denmark by 24-22, 21-11. Kento Momota won a record 11 titles in 2019.
Filmmaker Manmohan Mohapatra passed away:
- Veteran filmmaker Manmohan Mohapatra passed away at the age of 69 in Bhubneshwar.
- Manmohan Mohapatra was an Odia filmmaker considered as the ‘Father of New Wave Odia Cinema’ and won eight national awards consecutively for ‘Best Feature Odia film’.
Defence Minister Rajnath Singh flags off 51st K9 VAJRA-T gun:
- Defence Minister Rajnath Singh flagged off 51st K9 VAJRA-T Gun from Larsen & Toubro (L&T) Armoured System Complex at Hazira in Gujarat.
- The gun weighs 50 tonnes and can fire 47-kilogram bombs at targets up to a distance of 43 kilometres.
Postal Ballot facility made available for Super Senior Citizens and Person with Disabilities:
- Postal Ballot facility has been made available for the Super Senior Citizens (over 80 years of age) and PwDs in the Delhi Assembly Election.
- Earlier it was only available to armed forces and those assigned in poll duties.
‘Indian Heritage in Digital Space’ exhibition inaugurated by Union Culture Minister Prahlad Singh Patel:
- The “Indian Heritage in Digital Space” has been inaugurated by Union Culture and Tourism Minister Prahlad Singh Patel at the National Museum located in New Delhi.
- IHDS, an initiative of Department of Science and Technology has created the models of Heritages with the help of holographic projections, AR and 3D fabrication and 3D LASER scan data.
Mega campaign ‘Saksham’ launched by Petroleum Minister:
- A mega campaign “Saksham” has been launched by Union Minister of Petroleum and Natural Gas Dharmendra Pradhan.
- It is a campaign of Petroleum Conservation Research Association (PCRA) which aims to aware the people regarding fuel conservation and greener environment across India.
1st edition of Krishi Manthan hosted begins in Gujarat:
- 1st edition of Krishi Manthan– the largest Food, Agri-business and Rural Development Summit of Asia begins in Ahmedabad, Gujarat.
- This summit is organized by Indian Institute of Management Ahmedabad. It is an exclusive platform for industry, academia, and policymakers to share ideas, knowledge, and expertise to create solutions.
Chief Minister Vijay Rupani launched the 7th Economic Census process:
- Gujarat Chief Minister Vijay Rupani has launched the 7th Economic Census process in the state.
- Economic Census process is carried out by Union Ministry of Statistics and Programme Implementation with the help of Common Service Centres. It will continue till 30th June 2020.
- The entire data will be compiled on 30th September 2020. The data of this Economic Census will be classified into the village, taluka and district-wise to be developed into a National Business Register.
Goa hosts the 5th Science Film festival:
- Goa is hosting the 5th edition of Science Film Festival of India (SCI-FFI 2020).
- The festival aims to instill the knowledge of science among the youth with the help of exhibitions, masterclasses, workshops, and other activities.
Henley Passport Index 2020:
- Henley Passport Index 2020 has been released. The ranking report is based on data from the International Air Transport Association (IATA).
- The list was topped by Japan. Japan has been topping the Index for three years continuously. Japan can access now 191 countries.
- Japan was now followed by Singapore, Germany, and South Korea.
- The Indian passport ranked 84th, along with Tajikistan and Mauritania.
- Afghanistan (107) was among the world’s worst passports.
- Top 10: Japan, Singapore, South Korea, Germany, Italy, Finland, Spain, USA and UK, Luxembourg, Denmark.
“The Global Risks Report 2020” has been released by World Economic Forum:
- “The Global Risks Report 2020” has been released by World Economic Forum. It is the 15th edition of the report.
- The report has been prepared by WEF in partnership with Marsh & McLennan and Zurich Insurance Group.
- The report defines the major risks, the world is going to face in the coming years. The data used to make the report was collected by Global Risks Perception Survey (GRPS) through survey conducted from 5 September to 22 October 2019.
- A “global risk” was defined as an uncertain event or condition that, if it occurs, can cause significant negative impact for several countries or industries within the next 10 years.
- ‘Failure to mitigate and adapt to climate change’ has been declared as the number one risk by impact and number two by likelihood over the next 10 years in the report.
Indian Railways’ SCR zone signs MoU with SBI:
- The South Central Zone of the Indian Railways has signed an MoU with the State Bank of India.
- According to the MoU, the doorstep banking facility will be provided at 585 Railway Stations of the South Central Zone.
- The “doorstep banking” facility will enable direct pickup of earnings from the railway stations and will save the complex activity of cash movement through cash safes by trains.
IIM-Indore signs MoU with TikTok provides short video modules:
- The Indian Institute of Management, Indore has signed an MoU with the video sharing platform “TikTok”.
- The MoU will facilitate the production of short video modules for students and trained professionals.
World Bank & GoI signs MoU for loan of Assam Inland Water Transport Project:
- World Bank & GoI signs MoU for loan of $88 million of Assam Inland Water Transport Project.
- The loan agreement seeks to modernize the Assam’s passenger ferry sector by improving the infrastructure and its services.
- The government ferries are operated by the Assam Shipping Company (ASC) while the terminals and terminal services are provided by the Assam Ports Company (APC) in the state of Assam.
- The $88 million agreement will provide technically better designed terminals and energy-efficient vessels to make the ferry services more efficient, modern and safe mode of river transport system.
Arunachal Pradesh signs a MoU with IUCN:
- Arunachal Pradesh signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with International Union for Conservation of Nature’s (IUCN) to red-listing of orchids.
- Now Arunachal Pradesh has become the 1st state in the country to initiate the International Union for Conservation of Nature’s (IUCN) ‘red listing’ at the state level.
India to host SCO heads of govt meeting later this year:
- India to host the 19th Edition of Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO) Council of Heads of Government meeting 2020.
- The meeting is held annually at the Prime Minister’s level.
Ladakh hosts the 1st ever Food Processing Summit:
- The Ministry of Commerce and Industry and the Ministry of Food Processing Industries, the UT Administration of Ladakh has organised the 1st-ever Food Processing Summit in the Union Territory Ladakh.
Lucknow hosts the 7th Commonwealth Parliamentary Association Conference 2020:
- Lucknow hosted the 7th Conference of Commonwealth Parliamentary Association (CPA) India Region.
- Theme – ROLE OF LEGISLATORS.
Lt Col Yuvraj Malik appointed as the Director of the National Book Trust:
- Lt Col Yuvraj Malik has been appointed the Director of the National Book Trust (NBT) on deputation from the Indian Army.
- He replaced Sahitya Akademi-awardee writer Rita Chowdhury. National Book Trust (NBT) works under the Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD).
Bipul Behari Saha has been elected by IUPAC as its bureau member:
- Bipul Behari Saha has been elected as the bureau member of International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry (IUPAC) for the tenure of 2020-23.
- He has become the 2nd Indian after CNR Rao to hold the position.
Robert Abela has been elected as Malta’s Prime minister:
- Robert Abela has won the elections to become the Prime Minister of Malta.
- He has become the 14th prime minister of Malta after defeating Chris Fearne.
Russian Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev steps down:
- The Prime Minister of Russia, Dmitry Medvedev has resigned to lead the Russia’s Security Council.
Acclaimed Sindhi writer Vasdev Mohi will be honoured with 29th Saraswati Samman:
- Acclaimed Sindhi poet and writer Vasdev Mohi has been selected for the prestigious Saraswati Samman.
- He has been selected for his short stories collection:- Chequebook, published in 2012. He has also received the Sahitya Akademi Award.
Indian scientist Sakya Singha Sen awarded “Merck Young Scientist Award 2019:
- Indian scientist Sakya Singha Sen from National Chemical Laboratory (CSIR-NCL) Pune, has been awarded “Merck Young Scientist Award 2019” for doing remarkable research in chemical science.
- This award is instituted by Merck, a science and technology company operating worldwide. Sen and his research team specializes in main group chemistry and involves in the synthesis of compounds with main group element and their catalytic application.
ICC Awards 2019:
- ICC Annual Awards list has been declared by the International Cricket Council (ICC). With the list, ICC has also honoured the biggest names in men’s and women’s international cricket.
- Ben Stokes has won the Sir Garfield Sobers Trophy for Best Cricketer of the Year in ICC annual awards 2019
- Pat Cummins has won the award for Test Cricketer of the Year in ICC annual awards 2019.
- Rohit Sharma has won the award for ODI Cricketer of the Year in ICC annual awards 2019.
Russia to deliver all S-400 air defence systems to India by 2025:
- Russia has started production of S-400 long-range surface-to-air missile systems for India. All five units will be delivered to India by 2025.
- The S-400 air defence missile systems are among the best in the world.
National Information Centre sets up Centre of Block Chain Technology in Bengaluru:
- National Informatics Centre (NIC) set up the Centre of Excellence (CoE) in Blockchain Technology in Bengaluru, Karnataka.
- The main aim is to provide Blockchain as a service and to allow all stakeholders to benefit from shared learning, experiences, and resources.
- The Centre of Excellence in Blockchain Technology is held by the Union Minister for Law & Justice, Communications and Electronics & Information Technology, Shri Ravi Shankar Prasad.
Union Minister of Fertilizers launched the ‘Apna Urea – Sona Ugle‘ brand of HURL:
- Union Chemicals and Fertilizers Minister D.V. Sadananda Gowda unveiled the logo and brand ‘Apna Urea Sona Ugle‘ of Hindustan Urvarak and Rasayan Ltd (HURL).
India prepares for Corona Virus-Steps of Health Ministry:
- India monitoring the happenings in China and other countries after two died and 41 were confirmed to be infected with Coronavirus.
- India is preparing from WHO (World Health Organization) that the infections of the virus are linked to the seafood market. International travelers from China examined thoroughly using thermal scanners.
China posts weakest growth in 29 years as trade war with US bites:
- China’s economic growth slowed to its weakest for 30 years in 2019. A trade war with the United States and sputtering investment and more stimulus steps are expected this year to help avert a sharper slowdown.
- The Fourth-quarter gross domestic product (GDP) rose 6.0% from a year earlier, data from the National Bureau of Statistics with expectations and steady from the pace in the third quarter. The left full-year growth at 6.1%.
NITI Aayog and UT of Ladakh sign MoU to promote development in Ladakh:
- NITI Aayog and Union Territory of Ladakh sign MoU for Development of Infrastructure Projects in Ladakh.
- Under this agreement, NITI Aayog will be supporting the UT’s administration through its key initiative ‘Development Support Services to States for Infrastructure Projects (D3S-i)’.
3rd Edition of North Zone Conference of MIB’s of Media Units held in Jammu:
- The 3rd edition of North Zone Conference’ of Media Units of Information and Broadcasting Ministry, held in Jammu.
- The Conference is being organised by the Regional Outreach Bureau, Jammu and Kashmir region.
Conference on Census 2021 held in New Delhi:
- A Conference of the Chief Secretaries and Administrator State and Union Territories on Census 2021 and updating of National Population Register, NPR was held in New Delhi.
- Minister of State for Home Nityanand Rai also inaugurated the Official Mascot for Census 2021.
Microsoft vows will be carbon negative by 2030:
- The US tech giant Microsoft has announced that it would become “carbon negative” by year 2030.
- Microsoft has also announced its investment of $1 billion in a “climate innovation fund” for technology for carbon capture and removal.
Kuldeep Yadav became the fastest Indian spinner to take 100 wickets in ODIs:
- Kuldeep Yadav became the fastest Indian spinner to claim 100 wickets in ODI during the second match against Australia in Rajkot.
- The left-arm wrist-spinner reached the milestone in his 58th match when he got rid of Alex Carey for 18 in the 38th over of the Australian run chase.
Vinesh Phogat won gold medal in Rome Ranking Series:
- Vinesh Phogat won her first gold medal of the 2020 season at the Rome Ranking Series.
- Anshu Malik settled for a silver in 57kg competition in Rome.
- The two fierce Chinese rivals on her way to the 53kg gold medal bout in which she overpowered Ecuador’s Luisa Elizabeth Valverde 4-0. She won by technical superiority against Khrystyna Bereza (10-0) and Lannan Luo (15-5) before getting the better of Qianyu Pang (4-2).
Sania Mirza wins WTA doubles title in Hobart:
- Sania Mirza (India) and Nadiia Kichenok (Ukraine) have won the women’s doubles title of the WTA International trophy at Hobart, Australia.
- They beat Shuai Peng and Shuai Zhang from China 6-4,6-4.
ICC U-19 World Cup Cricket begins in South Africa:
- The ICC Under-19 World Cup Cricket 2020 begins in South Africa.
- India is the defending champions in U19 World Cup 2018. Total 16 teams are participating in the tournament, split into four groups of four.
Former India all-rounder Bapu Nadkarni passes away:
- Former India legendary all-rounder Bapu Nadkarni passed away. He played 41 Tests in which he scored 1414 runs and grabbed 88 wickets with 6/43 as his best bowling figures.
World’s shortest man Khagendra Thapa Magar passes away:
- World’s shortest man Khagendra Thapa Magar passed away. He was born on 14 October 1992, stood at 67.08 cm (2 ft 2.41 in) tall.
- He made his first appearance in the GWR 2011 book, alongside Jyoti Amge, the shortest teenager (female) living.
Union Government red flags 40,000 businesses for excess tax rebate claims:
- GST authorities zeroed in on about 40,000 companies for claiming excess or wrongful tax rebates be pursued for the recovery of tax dues.
- The authorities can recover tax dues from the identified companies with electronic communication such as emails and text messages.
- The union government recently stepped up efforts to mobilize revenue collection by launch a crackdown on tax evaders and those who have claimed rebates over the taxes paid on raw materials and services procured.
Gujarat ranked top for water efficiency Delhi among worst performing states:
- Gujarat ranked the best for parameters on efficiency targets in the review of state and Central government water departments by the ministry of Jal Shakti.
- Rajasthan is the third-best, and Delhi is among the worst-performing states, according to the ranking for 2019 circulated to different state governments recently.
- The seven Central departments reviewed, the Survey of India, got the top billing followed by the National Institute of Hydrology (NIH) and Central Water Commission.
Gujarat CM launched 7th Economic Census process:
- Gujarat Chief Minister Vijay Rupani launched the 7th Economic Census process in the state.
- The Economic Census process organized by the Union Ministry of Statistics and Programme Implementation with the help of Common Service Centres.
- Around 40 thousand enumerators will use mobile applications for the first time to gather information under the guidance of 6,500 supervisors.
Russia urges Iran and US to wind down tensions:
- Russia’s acting Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov urged Iran and United States to wind down tensions after Iranian forces accidentally downed a Ukrainian passenger jet.
- The tragedy was a severe red flag and a signal that everyone should start working on de-escalation.
- Iran’s Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei has defended the country’s armed forces after it admitted shooting down the plane by mistake.
Electric vehicles are future of India Elecrama conference at Noida:
- Union Information and Broadcasting Minister Prakash Javadekar explained that the electric vehicles are the future of the country as they are eco-friendly and helpful in the reduction of carbon footprint.
- The fourteenth edition of Elecrama – a conference for discussion on new trends and innovation for energy transition at Greater Noida.
- The Saubhagya Yojana benefitted 3.5 crore households through electrification. The Saubhagya Yojna within the period.
Fifteen Finance Commission hold meetings with stakeholders of the State of Goa:
- The 15th Finance Commission will visit the State Goa and hold meetings with the State Government and other stakeholders on 23rd -24th January 2020.
- Chairman, Sh will head the Commission. N.K. Singh and include all its Members and senior officials.
- The Commission had a meeting with the Principal Accountant General of Goa, who made a detailed presentation to the Commission on the State’s finances.
Mastercard to invest $1 bn in India over 5 years towards tech development:
- Global payments company Mastercard planned to invest nearly $1 billion in India over the next five years.
- The proposed investment will be made over five years in our India operations includes an R&D facility at Pune and another center at Vadodara.
- The facilities catered to the company’s global operations, of which Vadodara provided the backend multiple payment support.