India Highest Recipient of Remittances At $79 billion in 2018 – World Bank:
- As per the World Bank Report, India retained its position as the world’s top recipient of remittances with its diaspora sending a whopping USD 79 billion back home in 2018.
- India was followed by China (USD 67 billion). The Report was titled as ‘World Bank’s Migration and Development Brief‘.
- Over the last three years, India has registered a significant flow of remittances from USD 62.7 billion in 2016 to USD 65.3 billion 2017.
RBI Issues Norms For Banks To Set Up Currency Chests:
- The Reserve Bank of India came out with guidelines for banks to set up new currency chests, which include a minimum area of 1,500 square feet for strong room.
- The new chests should have a processing a capacity of 6.6 lakh pieces of banknotes per day.
- The currency chests should have CBL ofRs 1,000 crore, subject to ground realities and reasonable restrictions, at the discretion of the Reserve Bank.
Indo-Sri Lanka Joint Exercise Mitra Shakti VI Concludes:
- The sixth edition of the joint military training exercise between the Indian Army and the Sri Lankan Army, Exercise Mitra Shakticoncluded in Sri Lanka.
- Started in 2013, exercise Mitra Shakti is in continuation of a series of joint exercises that is conducted annually as part of military diplomacy to enhance cooperation between the armies of India & Sri Lanka.
India-Singapore Joint Military Exercise ‘Bold Kurukshetra–2019’:
- Military forces of India and Singapore got together to participate in a joint exercise in Babina Cantonment in Jhansi.
- The three-day exercise, ‘Bold Kurukshetra–2019’, is being conducted to develop military technology, boost maritime security and bolster the nations’ fight against terrorism.
NGT forms a new body to examine alleged erosion of Yamuna floodplain in Sonipat:
- National Green Tribunal established a committee to examine the alleged erosion of Yamuna floodplain due to movement of heavy vehicles in Sonipat district in Haryana.
- The committee, a four person bench, will comprise NGT Chairperson Justice Adarsh Kumar Goel,who is the head of the body, the director of the Mines and Geology Department,member secretary of the Haryana State Pollution Control Board and principal secretary of the Haryana Irrigation.
IIT-Madras Tops HRD’s National Ranking of Institutes:
- President Ram Nath Kovind has released the national ranking of higher institutes by the Ministry of Human Resources Development (HRD) in New Delhi.
- Indian Institute of Technology Madras topped the rankings while the Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore bagged the second rank followed by IIT Delhi.
- Delhi University’s Miranda House was ranked the best among colleges across the country, while the varsity’s St Stephen’s College was ranked fourth.
Guwahati Railway Station 1st To Get ISO Certification In India:
- The Guwahati Railway Station has become the first ever railway station in the Indian Railways to get an ISO certification from theNational Green Tribunal (NGT) for “providing passenger amenities in a clean and green environment.”
- Many types of ISO certification exist and the one received by Guwahati Railway Station is ISO-14001, which is for Environment Management System as per international norms which were upgraded in 2015. Thus, the station’s certificate reads ISO 14001: 2015.
US Declares Iran Force As Foreign Terrorist Organisation:
- The US designated Iran’s Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) a foreign terrorist organisation.
- It is the first time that the US has designated an entity of another government as a terrorist organization, placing a group with vast economic resources that answer only to Iran’s supreme leader in the same category as al-Qaida and the Islamic State.
London becomes first city to implement 24×7 pollution charge zone:
- London became the first city in the world to implement a Ultra Low Emission Zone for 24×7 hours a week, inside which vehicles will have to meet tough emissions standards.
- This zone aims to reduce toxic air pollution and protect public health.
- Motorists who drive into the zone in a vehicle that does not meet the new emission standard will have to pay a daily charge.
17th MENA World Economic Forum Held In Jordan:
- 17thedition of World Economic Forum on the Middle East and North Africawas held at Dead Sea,Jordan.Over 1000 representatives from more than 50 countries participated in the meeting.
- It is the 10th meeting in Jordan and 17th meeting in the MENA region.
- More than100 start-ups from Arab region have participated in the ceremony and discussed with industry and government leaders about the future of their industries during the two-day event.
- The event witnessed a lot of effective talks on projects to improving social as well as economic life of 400 million population of the MENA region.
To strengthen the Startups platform, BSE signed an agreement with HDFC Bank:
- Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE), Asia’s oldest exchange has signed an agreement with HDFC Bank to spread more awareness about the benefits of listing startups as well as to strengthen BSE startup platform.
- On 22nd December 2018, BSE had launched the startup platform to encourage entrepreneurs to get listed and raise equity capital for their growth, expansion, and for trading in equities of small and medium enterprises (SMEs).
Dream11 becomes India’s first billion-dollar gaming Startup:
- Dream11 has just become a Unicorn, that is a billion-dollar startup. Few exciting developments have made Dream11 to be India’s first gaming unicorn which has made it to the elite club of privately-held startups valued at $1 billion or more.
- Steadview Capital of London and Hong Kong has invested $60 million in Dream11, against a valuation of $1-$1.5 billion.
- Kalaari Capital, Multiples Alternate Asset Management and Think Investments have sold their existing equities in the company.
Spain’s Garbine Muguruza claimed Monterrey Open title:
- Garbine Muguruza of Spain successfully claimed back-to-back Monterrey Open titleon 7th April, 2019, as Victoria Azarenka succumbed to injury in the final.
- In the opening set, Muguruza won and was in control of the second before former Azarenka retired due to injury, the score 6-1 3-1 at the time.
- Asia Muhammad & Maria Sanchez has claimed womens doubles title in Monterrey Open
Dave Bautista retires from Wrestling:
- Dave Bautista has officially retired from wrestling aftermath of a defeat at the WWE’s (World Wrestling Entertainment) Wrestlemania event on 7th April, 2019.
- The Guardians of the Galaxy star, Dave Bautista has focused on his film career in recent years, but returned to the WWE promotion.
- Dave will be seen reprising his role as Drax the Destroyer in “Avengers: Endgame“, which he will follow up with “Stuber”.
James Bond Actress Nadja Regin passed away aged 87:
- The Serbian actress Nadja Regin passed away at the age of 87.
- She appeared in two Bond films “From Russia with Love” and “Goldfinger,”.
- She was born on 2nd December 1931 in Belgrade, Serbia.
- She wrote a novel, named ‘The Victims and the Fools’, which was published under her full name Nadja Poderegin.